Author Topic: 2020-2021 NHL Thread  (Read 34292 times)

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
Re: 2020-2021 NHL Thread
« Reply #1530 on: May 09, 2021, 02:11:22 PM »
I'm not sure that's the toughest division either. Sure there are good teams there but also cupcakes like Buffalo and New Jersey. The Central was probably the toughest.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: May 09, 2021, 02:11:28 PM »
Yikes. How anyone could think anyone other than McDavid should win the Hart this season...

I’m not sure Crosby should even make top 3. What’s with all the terrible takes?

I could see him finishing 3rd after McDavid and Matthews. It's a fairly open field after that. Crosby really did carry the Pens this season, especially with Malkin having a below average season to his standards and neither of their goalies being particularly impressive.

But yeah even if you wanted to use Rossi's interpretation that the Hart goes to the player most valuable to his team as opposed to the "best" player... it's still McDavid and not even close.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: May 09, 2021, 02:30:49 PM »
I’ll buy the Jack Adam’s argument.  Navigating injuries and having a very successful season is a good reason for giving credit to a coach.

The Hart stuff baffles me.  Take McDavid off of Edmonton and they are down with Vancouver and Ottawa in the standings.  Punishing an individual player for the results of a team sport.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: May 09, 2021, 02:38:29 PM »
The idea that best player differs from most valuable suggests there's a way for a player to add a lot of value to a hockey team that isn't being good at playing hockey.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: May 09, 2021, 02:40:29 PM »
The idea that best player differs from most valuable suggests there's a way for a player to add a lot of value to a hockey team that isn't being good at playing hockey.

It mostly just punishes great players on good teams like McDavid and the Edmonton Oile... wait...

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: May 09, 2021, 03:10:32 PM »
I’ll buy the Jack Adam’s argument.  Navigating injuries and having a very successful season is a good reason for giving credit to a coach.

Agreed. There also isn’t a clear cut favourite for the Adams like there is with the Hart. Sullivan should definitely be in the mix there. I think it will ultimately go to Quenville or Evason, but it’s not slam dunk.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: May 09, 2021, 03:25:03 PM »
Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: May 09, 2021, 04:05:06 PM »

It mostly just punishes great players on good teams like McDavid and the Edmonton Oile... wait...

Well, a good argument is that value can be tricky to isolate and define. So the question of how much a guy is helped by his linemates or what he contributes in terms of defense or driving play...that absolutely makes the question less cut and dried. Like I always thought it was insane that Datsyuk never won a Hart when he was scoring 90 points a year and winning the Selke.

But the idea that there's a big line between "most valuable" and "best" has never made sense to me. And certainly not in the way it tends to be used where it attaches this massive amount of value in dragging a mediocre team to 8th place as opposed to leading a pretty good team to 1st.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline Joe S.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: May 09, 2021, 07:15:02 PM »
Yikes. How anyone could think anyone other than McDavid should win the Hart this season...

I’m not sure Crosby should even make top 3. What’s with all the terrible takes?

I could see him finishing 3rd after McDavid and Matthews. It's a fairly open field after that. Crosby really did carry the Pens this season, especially with Malkin having a below average season to his standards and neither of their goalies being particularly impressive.

But yeah even if you wanted to use Rossi's interpretation that the Hart goes to the player most valuable to his team as opposed to the "best" player... it's still McDavid and not even close.

So the worst division in the league will likely have the top 2 candidates for the hart.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: May 09, 2021, 07:56:01 PM »
DoPS having a great time
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: May 09, 2021, 11:15:26 PM »

Agreed. There also isn’t a clear cut favourite for the Adams like there is with the Hart. Sullivan should definitely be in the mix there. I think it will ultimately go to Quenville or Evason, but it’s not slam dunk.
I'm thinking Quenneville. Nobody pegged the Panthers to be this good this year.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: May 10, 2021, 12:04:41 PM »

Well Jack's gone.

Offline Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: May 10, 2021, 12:18:50 PM »

Well Jack's gone.
Can't blame him.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: May 10, 2021, 12:21:39 PM »
If he does get traded, it would be one of the more interesting deals in recent years. Under a long contract, a big cap hit and outside of this year no actual issues with his performance. I'm not sure who you could compare him to.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: May 10, 2021, 01:00:58 PM »

Ooof.