Maple Leafs News and Views > Leafs Rumours & Speculation

Armchair GM Thread 2020-2021

<< < (3/57) > >>

herman:
League-min jumps to 750k for 2021-22 so look for Dubas to sign two year deals for some fringe folk (Malgin, Brooks) @ 725k AAV

herman:
https://theleafsnation.com/2020/04/09/optimizing-the-leafs-roster-for-the-seattle-expansion-draft

The Leafs remain well set up to not lose much, barring shakeups to the roster this off-season:
7F: Tavares, Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Kerfoot, Johnsson, Kapanen
3D: Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott
1G: Andersen/Campbell

We are losing someone on the level of Engvall/Dermott/Holl (until he was traded I was pretty sure it'd be Trevor Moore).

'Lucky': Sandin, Liljegren, Mikheyev, and Robertson (and Der-Arguchintsev) are exempt

Tricky decisions:

* Andersen and Hyman hit UFA 2021: of the 2, you can easily convince me to re-sign and protect Hyman, especially if a Kapanen/Johnsson get moved out
* Andersen probably doesn't get re-upped here; overpaying 30+ goaltenders is a death sentence in the Cap era (MTL, FLA) even if they're All-Star caliber.
* I'd like to see more of a tandem anyway with Campbell and someone younger until Woll/Scott are readier. GEORGIEV again?
* Would you trade out Kapanen AND Johnsson to also protect Engvall? Not for that express purpose, no.
* Kerfoot is a keeper for me, so shut up, he's not in the Kapanen/Johnsson conversation
* Make a big play for a top RD and you might as well include Dermott in a trade; I originally proposed re-signing Barrie (and letting Muzzin walk) to protect Rielly, Barrie, Dermott, but Muzzin is here to stay now...
* OR MAYBE A BALLSY MOVE to leave Muzzin unprotected after we get his most productive remaining year on this new deal and let him play closer to his other 'home' in 2022; would Seattle even take that cap hit?

L K:
I mean I would be open to freeing up the cap hit from Kerfoot depending on how he gets used.  If he's going to be that winger on the 2nd line I don't think his salary is worth his production.  If he's playing up the middle on the 3rd line though with spot duty in the top 6 I think that is a different matter.

I'm honestly having a hard time finding how we keep Hyman on this team if next year he keeps up his scoring pace from this season.  His point production has gone up for three straight years as well as his goal scoring.   He only put up 1G against Boston last year but did it on fragments of a knee.  He isn't going to be a cheap contract if he can get a full season in the 50-60 point range that he was on pace for this year.

herman:
Kerfoot is 3C. He was only 2W because both Johnsson and Mikheyev got hurt and Kapanen and Engvall literally could not to satisfactory levels. Kapanen has the tools to keep up, but not the brain.

--- Quote from: L K on April 09, 2020, 12:00:25 PM ---I'm honestly having a hard time finding how we keep Hyman on this team if next year he keeps up his scoring pace from this season.  His point production has gone up for three straight years as well as his goal scoring.
--- End quote ---

As predicted by just about nobody, except 2018 me ;D His shooting percentage was about twice the level of his proper norm (19% vs ~10%) this season, so I don't think this is getting repeated. I'd re-up for 3 years in the 3 to 3.75M range, which is about what Johnsson and Kapanen are getting for being younger 20 goal scorers. Even if he walks to UFA, I wouldn't mind Spezza-ing him on an annual basis after that final payday if he's up for it.

CarltonTheBear:
I know that we always say "so and so is going to take a hometown discount with us" and it basically never happens and we look like idiots... but I could really see Hyman taking a hometown discount with us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version