Other Hockey News & Views > General NHL News & Views

Blackhawks refused to report alleged sex abuse of players to police: source

<< < (26/29) > >>

Frank E:

--- Quote from: Heroic Shrimp on November 06, 2021, 02:44:40 PM ---Spoke today to sports marketing exec who told me multiple sponsors have "put the NHL on notice" to improve response to Blackhawks abuse scandal.
NHL brand significantly tarnished over past week, exec says, adding some sponsors unhappy with league's crisis management.— Rick Westhead (@rwesthead) November 6, 2021
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

While I appreciate the sentiment or whatever that is, the NHL has a fraction of the terrible bul*shit that the NBA, MLB, and NFL have...and they seem to be doing just fine, right?

EDIT:  And that's not a comment on the league's response, I'm just saying that most corporations will spend their money where the eyeballs are regardless.

Nik:

--- Quote from: Frank E on November 06, 2021, 03:09:29 PM ---While I appreciate the sentiment or whatever that is, the NHL has a fraction of the terrible bul*shit that the NBA, MLB, and NFL have...and they seem to be doing just fine, right?
--- End quote ---

I don't know about that. As far as bad things in sports goes, this is fairly well up there. I don't know there's a lot in those other sports in recent years that compares to a player in the league being sexually assaulted and a team effectively ignoring it because they thought it might hurt their playoff chances. A company is going to want to feel pretty good on the ROI of their sponsorship dollars to be associated with that.

--- Quote from: Frank E on November 06, 2021, 03:09:29 PM ---EDIT:  And that's not a comment on the league's response, I'm just saying that most corporations will spend their money where the eyeballs are regardless.

--- End quote ---

But sort of the natural flipside of that is that the less powerful a sport is, the more leverage their sponsors have. So while the NBA or NFL might say to a sponsor "If you don't like the way we run things, we have other people whose money we can take" the NHL can't be quite so cavalier with sponsors they want to keep. Remember, we're not too far removed from the NHL games being on the Outdoor Life Network in the states.

herman:
Tonight on @SportsCentre & @TSNHockey, you’ll hear from the mother of “John Doe 2,” the former high school hockey player sexually assaulted in 2013 by Brad Aldrich.
She’ll share how the abuse has affected her son & offer her reaction to Gary Bettman's comments on the scandal.— Rick Westhead (@rwesthead) November 8, 2021
--- End quote ---
Beach 'courageous', says mother of high school player assaulted by Aldrich@rwesthead has the story: https://t.co/kDNN31Y9rt pic.twitter.com/l4iiEdUoZn— TSN (@TSN_Sports) November 8, 2021
--- End quote ---
https://t.co/DgodijPi8f— Rick Westhead (@rwesthead) November 9, 2021
--- End quote ---

Nik:
Update: The NHL has informed a lawyer for "John Doe 2" that the league will not cover costs of counselling/therapy for him and his family.
An NHL employee wrote in an email the league will leave that matter for the Blackhawks to manage, JD2's lawyer said.— Rick Westhead (@rwesthead) November 9, 2021
--- End quote ---

I'm sure one of their lawyers told them that to do so might be a liability problem but it sure seems like a bad headine for no reason.

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Nik on November 09, 2021, 11:14:52 AM ---I'm sure one of their lawyers told them that to do so might be a liability problem but it sure seems like a bad headine for no reason.

--- End quote ---

Yup. Seems like something they probably should have let their lawyers handle instead of responding directly. Still wouldn't look good, but at least, it would give the league some cover.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version