Maple Leafs News and Views > 2011 to 2021 GDTs (OLD)

Canadiens @ Leafs - May 31st, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590

<< < (122/123) > >>

Guilt Trip:

--- Quote from: Nik on June 01, 2021, 11:43:05 AM ---
In retrospect I think the thing that kind of frustrates me is that despite everything we saw not working, there wasn't much of an effort to shake things up in response.

This seems to be an ongoing issue. In the infamous loss to the Zamboni driver I said the same thing. No matter how many times the Leafs power play got stood up with the same tactic trying to skate into the zone, they never tried anything else.

I don't want to be reductive but I can't help think some of this is on Dubas. I feel like a lot of the Analytic community arrives at what they think is best practices for a given situation and then won't be moved off it, even when it's obvious that the opponent knows it's coming and has game planned for it.

--- End quote ---
Don't agree with the Dubas part of it. The PP falls on Keefe ultimately for not changing the personal up. It was in the dumps for 30+ games. At some point you need to change up the persoanl. If the Leafs PP was anything like it was early on, they win the series, easily and would be a threat.

Nik:

--- Quote from: Guilt Trip on June 01, 2021, 11:53:31 AM ---Don't agree with the Dubas part of it. The PP falls on Keefe ultimately for not changing the personal up. It was in the dumps for 30+ games.

--- End quote ---

Dubas is Keefe's boss. If after 20 games of a stagnant PP Dubas isn't in Keefe's ear and getting assurances that they're making changes than blame Keefe all you want, that's still on Dubas.

Significantly Insignificant:

--- Quote from: Guilt Trip on June 01, 2021, 11:53:31 AM ---
--- Quote from: Nik on June 01, 2021, 11:43:05 AM ---
In retrospect I think the thing that kind of frustrates me is that despite everything we saw not working, there wasn't much of an effort to shake things up in response.

This seems to be an ongoing issue. In the infamous loss to the Zamboni driver I said the same thing. No matter how many times the Leafs power play got stood up with the same tactic trying to skate into the zone, they never tried anything else.

I don't want to be reductive but I can't help think some of this is on Dubas. I feel like a lot of the Analytic community arrives at what they think is best practices for a given situation and then won't be moved off it, even when it's obvious that the opponent knows it's coming and has game planned for it.

--- End quote ---
Don't agree with the Dubas part of it. The PP falls on Keefe ultimately for not changing the personal up. It was in the dumps for 30+ games. At some point you need to change up the persoanl. If the Leafs PP was anything like it was early on, they win the series, easily and would be a threat.

--- End quote ---

I think in the Leafs organization though, they talk about these things as a group.  They look at the numbers, and the numbers say that they *should* be scoring, so they don't want to change it up.  The problem is the disconnect between *should* and *is*.  This was my point before the series started, and as things started to go bad for them.  The numbers all say the Leafs should have won.  That's great, but in the end, they didn't, so I am not going to say that the numbers lied because that is not what numbers do, but at some point, if you keep pointing to the numbers and saying "We should have won", but you didn't, then maybe you are looking at the wrong thing.

herman:

--- Quote from: Significantly Insignificant on June 01, 2021, 12:16:39 PM ---I think in the Leafs organization though, they talk about these things as a group.  They look at the numbers, and the numbers say that they *should* be scoring, so they don't want to change it up.  The problem is the disconnect between *should* and *is*.  This was my point before the series started, and as things started to go bad for them.  The numbers all say the Leafs should have won.  That's great, but in the end, they didn't, so I am not going to say that the numbers lied because that is not what numbers do, but at some point, if you keep pointing to the numbers and saying "We should have won", but you didn't, then maybe you are looking at the wrong thing.

--- End quote ---

This is a fun point, and coupled with an observation Katya/PPP made that Keefe's offensive possession scheme generally amounts to the worst player on the ice getting most of the shots sort of squares up the good underlying numbers with the utter lack of results in a series.

How often have we bemoaned the Tyson Barrie or Ilya Mikheyev pot shot from downtown? Might need to swing the game a bit more towards shoot more and get the puck more, vs holding it forever. More chaos and less control.

herman:

--- Quote from: L K on June 01, 2021, 11:28:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: Significantly Insignificant on June 01, 2021, 11:14:11 AM ---If that's the case, hopefully, those players can be approached, and the stance of "We tried it your way and it didn't work" can be taken.

--- End quote ---

I'm torn a little bit.  Last year Marner was 7th in the league in powerplay points/60 minutes  so his opinion on things probably should hold some sway....but the thing was completely broken this year.  I get trying it his way for a while but how much rope do you give to a player when you are 81st in the league (at least 10PP points) in point production.  That's just not good enough when you are the primary puck possession player.

--- End quote ---

If you're not evolving, you're extincting.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version