It's FREE to join and post in our forums.  Click to join now!

2022 Blue Jays

Started by Deebo, November 16, 2021, 09:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy

Quote from: Nik on August 03, 2022, 12:58:37 PM
Quote from: L K on August 02, 2022, 06:10:05 PM
I don't hate the addition but I don't like that we gave up Nick Frasso

So I don't like that we gave up Frasso either but worth noting that in addition to White, the Jays also got IF prospect Alex De Jesus from the Dodgers in the deal. He's young but between A and High A ball this year he's hitting pretty well and is a legit prospect who MLB now has as the Jay's #8 prospect.

Honestly, if you look at Groshans for De Jesus as a pretty even swap then Frasso was the only prospect of real significance the Jays moved. Meanwhile they added some pretty valuable pieces. It wasn't the day I think any of us would have said was ideal but I think the Jays added in some key areas while avoiding paying for rentals or giving up any of their high value prospects.

This is pretty much how I saw it. And as for Frasso, maybe I'm missing something here but he turns 24 soon and is still pitching in high A-ball; what is the fixation with what (at least to my inexperienced eyes) looks to be an iffy, if not lower ceiling, prospect?
  •  

Nik

Quote from: Andy on August 03, 2022, 05:49:04 PM
This is pretty much how I saw it. And as for Frasso, maybe I'm missing something here but he turns 24 soon and is still pitching in high A-ball; what is the fixation with what (at least to my inexperienced eyes) looks to be an iffy, if not lower ceiling, prospect?

So it's a fair question but I think it's a couple of things. One, while you're right he's not young he's only pitched a little bit in the pros after coming back from TJ surgery and any time a guy has been lights out without struggling in the minors you wonder if he can move quickly through the system. Also it's just his potential as exactly the kind of player the Jays were looking for yesterday, a high value bullpen arm. So when you add the numbers and the stuff and the fact that he's relatively inexperienced in pro ball I do think he's an exciting prospect.

That said MLB now has him as the #26 Dodgers prospect so I may be a little dazzled just by the ridiculousness of the numbers he's putting up this year.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi
  •  

bustaheims

Quote from: Nik on August 03, 2022, 06:29:15 PM
That said MLB now has him as the #26 Dodgers prospect so I may be a little dazzled just by the ridiculousness of the numbers he's putting up this year.

I think there's some hedging there, as evaluators need to see how well he holds up against more developed/more mature hitters. His numbers in A ball leap of the page, for sure, but I get the hesitation to put too much stock in them. If he was doing that in the upper minors, he'd be untouchable.

There's a lot of unknowns with him right now.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
  •  

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed
  •  

Bill_Berg_is_sad

Quote from: Frank E on August 09, 2022, 03:41:49 PM
Here's your LHB:

https://www.sportsnet.ca/mlb/article/blue-jays-signing-veteran-outfielder-jackie-bradley-jr/

I don't know the rules, is he eligible to play in the playoffs? Not that I think he'll be much of a difference maker.

EDIT: Googled it, looks like yep!
  •  

Deebo

He might be a marginal upgrade on Zimmer, might.
  •  

bustaheims

Quote from: Deebo on August 09, 2022, 04:39:02 PM
He might be a marginal upgrade on Zimmer, might.

He's better defensively, but not a great upgrade at the plate.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan
  •  

L K

Jays are slumping pretty bad right now.  Now in the 3rd wildcard (tied with Tampa) and only 1.5 games up on the Orioles. 

Kikuchi has probably started his last game of the season (hopefully).
  •  

Bill_Berg_is_sad

•  

Highlander

Sort of weird, they started tanking, Charlie gets the axe and then they play lights out after the break and now back to bad baseball. Something is not right in Jay's land.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki
  •  

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed
  •  

bustaheims

If only the Jays didn't go into a slump at the same time as the Yankees. They could have made it a real race.
  •