Previous topic - Next topic

OldTimeHockey

Hopefully the Jays pay that fine for him

L K

The Blue Jays have a pitching problem

Heroic Shrimp

Supersize my Freedom Fries

Nik

Jays fire Montoyo. Not surprising but I think it's a non-fix masking over a deeper problem.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

bustaheims

Quote from: Nik on July 13, 2022, 12:15:56 PM
Jays fire Montoyo. Not surprising but I think it's a non-fix masking over a deeper problem.

Trying to shock the roster into performing. Not confident in it working.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bender

What's the issue you would say?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Nik

Quote from: Bender on July 13, 2022, 12:24:36 PMWhat's the issue you would say?

Well, their bullpen isn't very good and none of their big off-season additions are playing particularly well other than Gausman. Combine that with down years from most of their hitters, none of which I think is attributable to Montoyo as he was here last year when they were raking, and the team is struggling. I don't think a new manager fixes any of that.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

LittleHockeyFan

Quote from: Bender on July 13, 2022, 12:24:36 PM

What's the issue you would say?

well at least partly he doesn't listen to his own damn players. Called a first base out challenge in the game last night even though Vladdy clearly told him not to, that he (Vladdy) missed the base and the runner was safe. Runner WAS safe, and the Jays lost their challenge.....and pretty much the very next play they could've used it but couldn't because Montoya had wasted it.

Just makes me wonder how much other stuff is going on.

Peter D.

Montoyo is gone.  FINALLY!!!

herman

sneaky announcement time :D
"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

OldTimeHockey

Something is broken with the team. I'm not sure the manager is the broken piece but it's the easiest to swap out.

L K

Meh?  I'm not the biggest Montoyo fan but I also don't think this changes much about the fate of the team.

They aren't losing games because Montoyo is pulling the wrong strings.  Sometimes you have a manager who overplays veterans or relies on certain relievers too much.  I'm not seeing that from him. 

The offense has a terrible approach at the plate this year.  There hasn't been an adjustment to their hitting approach.  That is far more on Guillermo Martinez. 

The bullpen is just garbage.  Too many soft throwing guys.

The rotation fell apart when Ryu was bad/got hurt (Jays got incredibly lucky to get two seasons of good health out of him) and then Kikuchi was unsurprisingly bad.  Stripling is a good pitcher but it killed the bullpen depth to lose the long-man to offset the unreliable back of the rotation.

This season is more an indictment on Shapiro/Atkins than Montoyo.

I'm also not fussed about firing Charlie though because I don't think he's a manager that is going to bring a team to a championship either.   A change was probably necessary at some point in the next 1-2 years for the Jays to take the next step either way.  I just don't think firing him now is going to do much to fix a very flawed roster that has to compete in a brutal division.