Author Topic: The MMA Thread  (Read 45789 times)

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
Re: The MMA Thread
« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2015, 05:40:06 AM »
Ronda Rousey best fighter in the world currently.

She dedicated her most recent fight and win (over Correia) to the late Rowdy Roddy Piper, who apparently was a "huge influence" for her in her path to greatness in her career.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mma-cagewriter/ronda-rousey-dedicates-ufc-190-fight-to--rowdy--roddy-piper-211754359-mma.htm

Offline seahawk

• Site Contributor
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 02, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »
Ronda Rousey best fighter in the world currently.

Considering her last 3 fights have lasted a combined 64 seconds I might have to agree. She agreed to take this fight in Rio (her opponent's backyard) and dropped her in 34 seconds. I don't see a real challenge left in the 135 pound division. There's 1 fight out there to make and that is Cris Cyborg. The big issue is Cyborg fights at 145 for another organization (UFC only has 115 and 135 for women) and has not shown much willingness to come down to 135.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #256 on: August 02, 2015, 10:21:32 AM »

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: November 15, 2015, 07:17:13 PM »
Rousey pummelled and humiliated by Albuquerque's Holly Holm in UFC 193 yesterday.

Holm's kicks and punches nearly knocked out Rousey completely, who seemed overwhelmed by Holm's clever manouveuring.  Holm's never gave Rousey a chance to get her game going as she initiated several upper kicks & cuts to the head, leaving Rousey knocked out with a split lip.

Rousey was thereafter taken to hospital for observation.

This was probably the most anticipated matchup of the year in Women's UFC.  This one having taken place in Melbourne (Australia) broke the original attendance record set in Toronto for a UFC matchup.

What made Ronda Rousey's loss even more surprising according to analysts was that Holly Holm delivered a total of 38 hits -- Rousey dished out a total of 64 hits at her opponents over several bouts, and in the end, overwhelming each and every one of her competitors.  Not so here.  Ouch.

Source:  Sportsnet,  ESPN

« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:37:24 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: November 15, 2015, 07:27:44 PM »
Albuquerque is in Australia?

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: November 16, 2015, 09:54:09 AM »

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 16, 2015, 10:03:36 AM »
Rousey pummelled and humiliated by Australian Holly Holm in UFC 193 yesterday.

Holm's kicks and punches nearly knocked out Rousey completely, who seemed overwhelmed by Holm's clever manouveuring.  Holm's never gave Rousey a chance to get her game going as she initiated several upper kicks & cuts to the head, leaving Rousey knocked out with a split lip.

This was probably the most anticipated matchup of the year in Women's UFC.  This one having taken place in Melbourne (Australia) broke the original attendance record set in Toronto for a UFC matchup.

What made Ronda Rousey's loss even more surprising according to analysts was that Holly Holm delivered a total of 38 hits -- Rousey dished out a total of 64 hits at her opponents over several bouts, and in the end, overwhelming each and every one of her competitors.  Not so here.  Ouch.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • QUIETNESS is GREATNESS
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 16, 2015, 07:35:41 PM »
Rousey pummelled and humiliated by Australian Alburquerque's Holly Holm in UFC 193 yesterday.

Holly Holm is from Albuquerque,  New Mexico.  The previous was a typo.  Fixed.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 07:41:14 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline Arn

• Veteran
  • Belfast Giant, Toronto Maple Leaf
    • View Profile
    • Kingdom of the Giants
« Reply #262 on: December 12, 2015, 06:28:33 PM »
Massive fight tonight for Irishman Mcgregor v Aldo. Still not sure what I actually think of McGregor. He's certainly a character. I have a feeling this could be an absolutely brutal battle. And I think Aldo will claim it.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Jerk Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 13, 2015, 01:05:43 AM »

That really wasn't much of a fight.
I wish to hell I’d never said "Winning isn’t everything it’s the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you’ve won.
- Vince Lombardi

Offline seahawk

• Site Contributor
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 13, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
13 seconds, which is a new record for a UFC title fight. Now the talk is does McGregor stay at 145, move up to 155, or try to do both? His trainer seems to be leaning for 155 but Conor says he can do both.

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 13, 2015, 10:59:32 PM »
13 seconds, which is a new record for a UFC title fight. Now the talk is does McGregor stay at 145, move up to 155, or try to do both? His trainer seems to be leaning for 155 but Conor says he can do both.
I can't see them lettting him keep the belt unless its on the basis that he drops it should he win the LW title.

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 14, 2015, 03:30:24 AM »

I can't see them lettting him keep the belt unless its on the basis that he drops it should he win the LW title.

He said he's so active that he can have both.

January - lightweight title fight.

April - Featherweight title fight.

August - Lightweight title fight. 

December - Featherweight title fight.

Sounds like pie in the sky to me, essentially a title defense in each weight class every six months. I doubt the UFC would risk that in case of injury etc. 

Offline Darryl

• Administrator
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 03, 2016, 12:25:02 PM »
I really had Condit with the win last night. I am not a big fan of the immediate rematch but I'll make an exception.

Offline seahawk

• Site Contributor
  • Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 03, 2016, 03:04:04 PM »
I really had Condit with the win last night. I am not a big fan of the immediate rematch but I'll make an exception.

I had Condit winning as well, but Round 3 was a real toss up. Condit had Rounds 1 and 4, and Lawler rounds 2 and 5. No surprise it was Fight of the Night. I hate immediate rematches as well, but I'd rather see this than Lawler-Woodley.

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 03, 2016, 03:27:35 PM »
I think Condit won it and it wasn't even really close.

The sheer volume of strikes doesn't really lie.