Maple Leafs News and Views > Main Leafs Hockey Talk

2021-22 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion

<< < (3/264) > >>

Guilt Trip:

--- Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on June 16, 2021, 03:41:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: Guilt Trip on June 16, 2021, 03:40:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: herman on June 16, 2021, 01:01:24 PM ---This appears to be the end for Zach Hyman in Torontohttps://t.co/mNbtIfcDQi— James Mirtle (@mirtle) June 16, 2021
--- End quote ---

--- Quote ---A $6 million cap hit might sound outrageous to some Leafs fans, who have watched as Hyman has gone from a Marlies checker to a bonafide NHL first-liner over the last six seasons. But, statistically speaking, Hyman falls in the same category as veteran UFA wingers like Nick Foligno, Ryan Callahan, Cam Atkinson and, yes, David Clarkson who all signed for around 8 percent of the salary cap as UFAs over the last eight years.

Even in a pandemic-induced flat cap world, that’s $6.5 million a season.
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Fine, see ya. I said it before, a slight increase from Connor Brown's 3.6 mill. Don't like it, goodbye and good luck.

--- End quote ---

For sure, but let's not imagine he'll be easy to replace.

--- End quote ---
I didn't say he would be but he is replaceable. M&M produce just fine without him and the Leafs kept winning when he was out. I like him but not at that kind of cap hit. You could probably get Coleman and Goodrow for less then what the author is suggesting.

Dappleganger:
Hmmmm... 8 years/$3.5m?

Guilt Trip:

--- Quote from: Dappleganger on June 16, 2021, 03:54:17 PM ---Hmmmm... 8 years/$3.5m?

--- End quote ---
No...wouldn't want him on the books until he's 37.

Dappleganger:

--- Quote from: Guilt Trip on June 16, 2021, 03:57:43 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dappleganger on June 16, 2021, 03:54:17 PM ---Hmmmm... 8 years/$3.5m?

--- End quote ---
No...wouldn't want him on the books until he's 37.

--- End quote ---

Buy him out, front load it.  :-\

Basically it's the first 4 years at $6m and the last 4 years at $1m.

mr grieves:

--- Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on June 16, 2021, 03:41:53 PM ---For sure, but let's not imagine he'll be easy to replace.

--- End quote ---

The team is built on the theory that players like Hyman are though. Every forward other than the big 4 is just a guy on a cheap contract who cycles in, gives good value and maybe even has a great year (driven by the superstars), and then cashes in somewhere else.

Ive been coming around to the idea that a middle class is good to have, but, If reporting from CJ and Mirtle is right, Hyman’s just beyond what they can afford after this last season

Is it me or has the current Leafs regime been pretty complacent about getting extensions done? Or are all the upcoming UFAs flatly refusing to discuss a deal until after their ‘contract season’?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version