Maple Leafs News and Views > Main Leafs Hockey Talk

Line Juggling

<< < (2/3) > >>

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate:

--- Quote from: Dappleganger on January 25, 2022, 01:50:40 PM ---I think after a TV timeout you run a line of Nylander - Matthews - Marner followed by a line of Spezza - Tavares - Simmonds then back to the regular Matthews line.

--- End quote ---

Sounds good to me.

Guilt Trip:

--- Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on January 25, 2022, 04:24:42 PM ---
--- Quote from: Dappleganger on January 25, 2022, 01:50:40 PM ---I think after a TV timeout you run a line of Nylander - Matthews - Marner followed by a line of Spezza - Tavares - Simmonds then back to the regular Matthews line.

--- End quote ---

Sounds good to me.

--- End quote ---
I'll pass. That line is way too slow. JT, Mikheyev, Kerfoot or similar would be better.

hobarth:
At one point it was 5 shots for Engvall, 5 for the d and about 7 for the rest of the team, why not elevate Engvall, he might help JT and Nylander, they aren't helping themselves and Kerfoot.....

On 2 of the goals against Rielly basically pulled up a chair and watched rather than try to do anything.

Arn:
Did Rielly sleep with your wife or something?

hobarth:
I think GMs like players can get nervous this time of year, the teams they preside over appear ready to contend so they spend, usually the future, but we all know only one team wins it all. Realistically, TO doesn't look ready to truly contend but a team like Montreal went to the finals last year so what exactly is realistic.

I don't think that the lines we keep seeing are ideal, Matthews with Marner guarantees Matthews 60 goals but is that 60 goals all we have to look forward to, year after year? The 2nd line isn't great, the 3rd acceptable and the 4th horrendous. Dubie can try to trade TO into a better team, not realistic, or Keefe can try to mix things up hoping for a more dynamic mix.

Line ideas I'd try because the forwards aren't committed to helping defend:

Bunting/Matthews/Mikheyev

Engvall/JT/Marner

Robertson/Kerfoot/Nylander

Joey Anderson/Kampf/Kase

Simmonds and Spezza aren't decent enough for even 4th line duty anymore, the puck lives in TO zone when they're on the ice together.

D pairings need far more help from the forwards to be effective so really Keefe can do whatever he wants there but Keefe must find a way to wake up the inner defensive attributes of the forwards, something like what we saw from Buffalo, clog up the zone infront of goaltenders.

It seems to me that pretty well every goal scored against TO is a deflection, nobody is interfering with the opposition's sticks but the 2 d-men can't be everywhere. I'm sure that the goalies will be far better without feeling abandoned by the team which is how I'd feel as a Leaf goalie. TO has decent goaltending, trading for upgrades isn't the answer, one of them getting hot is.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version