Author Topic: Johnsson traded to the Devils  (Read 3027 times)

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Johnsson traded to the Devils
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2020, 10:25:50 PM »
What Nik said hits it on the head, but still this has a Kadri-ish odor about it.  I think Dubas is better at signing FAs than trading people.

I was actually going to say the other way around.  I think that Dubas is pretty good at getting what he wants out of a deal.  The Kadri deal didn't work out, but he got what he wanted from it in a right shot defenceman that could move the puck, and a third line center with some versatility.  The Kapanen deal was also pretty good. 

Even in this deal, I think that Dubas maximized what he could get for the player.  However, the contracts that Dubas gives out seem to be fair deals for the players, and in a cap world that gets you in to trouble after a while.  I think that either it was a mistake to give Johnsson that contract last year, or it was a mistake to trade him for the amount that he did.

If Johnsson outperforms his deal, then he probably didn't get enough for a player that is on a cheap contract for a couple more seasons.  If Johnsson under performs, then that would mean his deal is an over payment.

The circumstances between when he was signed and now changed significantly.  Covid changed the league financial outlook and cap enormously.  The Leafs failed in the playoffs.  Johnsson was injured and his value decreased.  If Johnsson were signing now, he?d certainly be signed for less.  Still, the signing at the time seemed liked a fine one for the leafs.  And it turned out fine ? we got a prospect and didn?t have to pay to get rid of Johnsson at least, despite his down year and the changing finances of the league.

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2020, 10:31:42 PM »
Who the hell is Joey Anderson?

Exactly my first thoughts. Amazing how we let potential free agents walk and trade decent forwards for nothing. Why wouldn't you try and recoup some draft picks.
Guess we knew this was coming after the horrible signings of our stars.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
  • Not liking my posts is Cancel Culture
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2020, 10:39:44 PM »
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020/10/11/andreas-johnsson-traded-to-the-new-jersey-devils-in-exchange-for-joey-anderson/

I think this analysis says it all.

I don't really understand why you'd acknowledge that this was a salary dump and then be like "but in terms of player for player it's a loss for the Leafs".

Like, either evaluate a trade in the context of a capped league or don't. You're not going to win on assets if a trade is a cost cutting measure. The "win" is cap space.
Sports are like the reward of a functioning society
- Sean Doolittle

Online Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2020, 10:44:01 PM »
I'm fine with this trade. I have a lot of confidence that Mikheyev will more than replace what Johnsson could bring.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2020, 10:48:31 PM »
https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2020/10/11/andreas-johnsson-traded-to-the-new-jersey-devils-in-exchange-for-joey-anderson/

I think this analysis says it all.

I don't really understand why you'd acknowledge that this was a salary dump and then be like "but in terms of player for player it's a loss for the Leafs".

Like, either evaluate a trade in the context of a capped league or don't. You're not going to win on assets if a trade is a cost cutting measure. The "win" is cap space.

He's just acknowledging the other side of the coin.

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2020, 10:53:46 PM »

Exactly my first thoughts. Amazing how we let potential free agents walk and trade decent forwards for nothing. Why wouldn't you try and recoup some draft picks.

Did you look at anything that has been written about Anderson?

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2020, 10:57:53 PM »
He's just acknowledging the other side of the coin.

Again, I really don't think "The team didn't improve itself with this salary dump" is something that needs to be said. Evaluate the players individually, sure, but how they compare to each other is immaterial to the motivations of the trade.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2020, 11:05:40 PM »

Did you look at anything that has been written about Anderson?

Yes I did not reading anything overwhelming. I understand the situation Leafs are in and some of these guys have to go.
My point is we let a whack of free agents walk with no return and we trade decent players for in my opinion not much. Leafs knew we were going to be in this situation so why not trade some of these guys when their value might be better and recoup some picks. Players Dubas has found overseas like Mikheyev, Lehtonen, Barbanov can fill these voids but would be nice to garnish some draft choices or decent return while a players value might be higher. Should have traded AJ before he was hurt.

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2020, 11:18:54 PM »
Should have traded AJ before he was hurt.

Yup. That's what they should have done. Immediately after his promising rookie year, the Leafs should have traded him because they knew he'd be hurt the next year and wouldn't help them in their hoped for playoff run.

Just stunning analysis.
- Sean Doolittle

Offline azzurri63

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2020, 11:44:13 PM »

Yup. That's what they should have done. Immediately after his promising rookie year, the Leafs should have traded him because they knew he'd be hurt the next year and wouldn't help them in their hoped for playoff run.

Just stunning analysis.

Nothing?s changed has it?

Offline Nik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2020, 11:52:41 PM »
Nothing?s changed has it?

Hmmm, has something changed that might have put the Leafs in a bigger cap crunch then they might otherwise have been in and forced them to make cost cuttings they couldn't have foreseen...hmmm...huh...that's a tough one...gosh...let me think about that stumper for a few more minutes...huh...

In a totally unrelated gesture, let me take a big sip of water and read the newspaper for the first time since March.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 11:54:50 PM by Nik »
- Sean Doolittle

Online Deebo

• Global Moderator
  • All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2020, 12:29:32 AM »
Yes I did not reading anything overwhelming.

Carlton posted this from someone who worked in the Devils front office:

Invalid Tweet ID
Invalid Tweet ID
Physical, wins battles, skates well, makes good decisions with the puck.

Sounds like a player that would like, considering what you post in the GDTs

When exactly would have been the right time to trade him?

As nik said, he was coming off a 20 goal rookie season, got injured February of the next season and then the pandemic hit. I don't see when they should have traded him

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2020, 07:26:30 AM »
Anderson...Hyman 2.0? That's what I've read. He plays like Hyman. Who heard of Hyman before the Leafs got him? If, and that's a big if, the roster stays as is, Engvall or Anderson start in the minors. Both are waiver exempt.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2020, 08:00:50 AM »
Anderson awaits a new contract. He?s a 10.2(c) RFA: basically no negotiating leverage. Leafs could tender him a 725k AAV over two years one-way and he?d jump on that. AHL avoids escrow.
William Nylander Appreciation Account
#BeBlessed

Offline Frank E

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2020, 08:19:09 AM »
Anderson awaits a new contract. He?s a 10.2(c) RFA: basically no negotiating leverage. Leafs could tender him a 725k AAV over two years one-way and he?d jump on that. AHL avoids escrow.

Agreed.