It's FREE to join and post in our forums.  Click to join now!

Armchair GM Thread 2022-2023

Started by CarltonTheBear, May 16, 2022, 11:37:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

L K

Quote from: bustaheims on July 05, 2022, 02:54:44 PM
Quote from: louisstamos on July 05, 2022, 02:46:04 PM
I can't remember which podcast floated this, but I like the idea of buyouts not counting towards the cap - but in that case, they would have to be paid in full, instead of 1/3 or 2/3 it currently is.

Nah. Can't just let teams out of mistakes for just cash. Too easy for some teams to abuse. League will never go for it.

That's also a move that benefits teams with money and the league doesn't want that. 

I do think that LTIR shouldnt' be tradeable though.  I know its a loophole for teams to spend more money but the abuse of the cap floor with fake players or getting under the cap is nonsense.

bustaheims

I don't know if I'm on board with that suggestion, either, but I don't think LTIR contracts should count towards the cap floor.

I still think there should be a franchise player exception for one contract - but, it has to be a contract the team signed and it sticks with that player for the length of the contract, unless they're traded. The cap needs some exceptions.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

herman

"Can't let the poison get to you"
#BeBlessed

Joe

Let's say that Chicago doesn't qualify strome, does that make him a full UFA or is there a minimum he needs to sign for based on his last contract?

bustaheims

Quote from: Iafrate on July 07, 2022, 06:42:57 PM
Let's say that Chicago doesn't qualify strome, does that make him a full UFA or is there a minimum he needs to sign for based on his last contract?

Fully a UFA. There is no in between.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Joe

herman

#BeBlessed

Groundskeeper Willie

Quote from: herman on July 10, 2022, 02:14:59 PM
https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1546195439036284928

If they can somehow make the cap hit around 2-2.5 to play him as a backup/1B then there are worse options. Even at 50% he's overpaid though. What a terrible contact that was.

I don't hate the idea of going cheap to start the season with something like a Reimer/Murray combo and re-evaluating mid season on a year like this where even the best options are very underwhelming.

Zee

Quote from: herman on July 10, 2022, 02:14:59 PM
https://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1546195439036284928

Welp, that's a dice roll if it happens. Murray has been on the downslope for years now, can he regain his Stanley Cup form?

herman

#BeBlessed

bustaheims

RedLeaf

Quote from: herman on July 10, 2022, 02:30:21 PM
https://twitter.com/marklazerus/status/1546184071608508418

I don't know much about Strome other than believing the Leafs would select him in the 2015 draft. So happy we got Marner instead. Seems like a pretty rocky start to his career since that draft. Anyone know what the story is with him?
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

CarltonTheBear

If we basically just swap Mrazek with Murray with Murray having a lower AAV (by way of 50% retention) and we get a more valuable asset from the sens than we gave up to dump Mrazek then I'd give that at least a passing grade.

Starting to feel like even if we had the cap space Edmonton and Washington will probably outbid us on Campbell and Kuemper once free agency opens.