Just for Fun > Non-Hockey Chatter

Ukraine

<< < (2/30) > >>

Highlander:
Thanks for the clarification Nik, no offence was intended. 

Nik:

--- Quote from: Highlander on February 24, 2022, 01:33:17 PM ---Thanks for the clarification Nik, no offence was intended.

--- End quote ---

None taken. It's something I did myself in the past until I was educated by one of my best and oldest friends who's of Ukrainian heritage and still has family there.

Nik:

Something worth noting is that for all the sanctions being announced they're not really going after Putin's wealth or that of his cronies. These are hundreds of billions of dollars, stolen from the Russian economy, that are used to buy real estate in Western countriees, luxuries and used as political contributions. This would be what would really put the squeeze on Putin but because it also threatens business interests in the west, they're opting instead for sanctions that will make life harder for Russian people.

L K:

--- Quote from: Nik on February 24, 2022, 02:18:05 PM ---
Something worth noting is that for all the sanctions being announced they're not really going after Putin's wealth or that of his cronies. These are hundreds of billions of dollars, stolen from the Russian economy, that are used to buy real estate in Western countriees, luxuries and used as political contributions. This would be what would really put the squeeze on Putin but because it also threatens business interests in the west, they're opting instead for sanctions that will make life harder for Russian people.

--- End quote ---

This is the way this constantly works. 

Lots of stolen assets are around the globe.  A significant portion of stolen money is in Switzerland and they have continued their claim of being "neutral"

This has really been an awful day.  I had good communication lines with family through the night but haven't been able to stay in touch as the day has gone on. 

bustaheims:

--- Quote from: Highlander on February 24, 2022, 01:12:44 PM ---They just seized the Chernobyl Nuclear Plant, so under Russian Army control.  Anyone have any idea what Putin wants with that?

--- End quote ---

Probably doesn't want to risk technological improvements leading to western government being better able to poke around and discover something that's not supposed to be there. Or, maybe he just wants to pave over the place to hide a major failing of the USSR.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version