Author Topic: Game 7: Leafs @ Bruins - Apr. 23rd, 7:00pm - CBC, TSN 1050  (Read 13041 times)

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Game 7: Leafs @ Bruins - Apr. 23rd, 7:00pm - CBC, TSN 1050
« Reply #450 on: April 24, 2019, 11:07:15 AM »
If they feel compelled to name a captain next year, I'd prefer Rielly. Might be better to wait another year if they want to make Matthews captain, I just don't feel like he's ready for that. Could be wrong, just a feeling.

I disagree, he stepped up in the playoffs and was the Leafs best forward from game 3 onward.  I think he's ready to take the next step.

Offline L K

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: April 24, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »
Yeah, I think this series was Matthews stepping up his game.  His defensive effort was better.  His goal scoring was there.  I think this would be a fine time to anoint him.

Offline lc9

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Vet
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: April 24, 2019, 11:59:14 AM »
Now is the time to give matthews the C. He is the guy. 

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: April 24, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »
I had the C put on my Matthews jersey when I bought it 2 years ago.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 12:17:53 PM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: April 24, 2019, 02:50:57 PM »
And as for the penalty kill, according to NHL.com, going back to 1985-86 there’ve been 424 teams whose playoff runs lasted at least six games. Toronto’s 2019 penalty-kill percentage, an embarrassing 56 per cent, ranks 423rd out of 424. The Leafs’ 2018 penalty kill ranks 421st. Their 2017 work ranks 407th. Those numbers are Babcock’s numbers.

Strike three your out.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: April 24, 2019, 02:57:36 PM »
And as for the penalty kill, according to NHL.com, going back to 1985-86 there’ve been 424 teams whose playoff runs lasted at least six games. Toronto’s 2019 penalty-kill percentage, an embarrassing 56 per cent, ranks 423rd out of 424. The Leafs’ 2018 penalty kill ranks 421st. Their 2017 work ranks 407th. Those numbers are Babcock’s numbers.

Strike three your out.

Holy hell, historically bad numbers.

Offline RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: April 24, 2019, 03:32:48 PM »
If they feel compelled to name a captain next year, I'd prefer Rielly. Might be better to wait another year if they want to make Matthews captain, I just don't feel like he's ready for that. Could be wrong, just a feeling.

I disagree, he stepped up in the playoffs and was the Leafs best forward from game 3 onward.  I think he's ready to take the next step.

I completely agree Zee. Give Matthews the 'C' and Rielly and Tavares can have 'A's
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: April 24, 2019, 03:41:42 PM »

I completely agree Zee. Give Matthews the 'C' and Rielly and Tavares can have 'A's
I also agree. We saw a major step forward for Matthews in this series. Watching him become a more 200ft player and scoring those 5 goals was nice to see. It's time he gets the C. It should also be noted that Matthews took some of the blame on Gardiner's gaffe. I personally don't think he was at any fault but he's trying to deflect the heat off Gardiner.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2019, 03:43:39 PM by Guilt Trip »

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: April 24, 2019, 03:43:16 PM »

I also agree. We saw a major step forward for Matthews in this series. Watching him become a more 200ft player and scoring those 5 goals was nice to see. It's time he gets the C.

I'm fully expecting it to happen. It's been long enough.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: April 24, 2019, 03:44:20 PM »

I also agree. We saw a major step forward for Matthews in this series. Watching him become a more 200ft player and scoring those 5 goals was nice to see. It's time he gets the C.

I think so to. I'm betting they wait until Marner signs tho lol..

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: April 24, 2019, 03:46:42 PM »

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that lol.  Funny how the Marner contract talks got pushed to the backburner after his agent shot his mouth off.  It'll pick up full steam ahead now.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: April 24, 2019, 04:14:14 PM »

That's a pretty solid group.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: April 24, 2019, 04:47:24 PM »

Oh yeah, totally forgot about that lol.  Funny how the Marner contract talks got pushed to the backburner after his agent shot his mouth off.  It'll pick up full steam ahead now.
And in the grand scheme of things, his production suffered after his agent shot his mouth off. It's going to be an interesting negotiation for sure. He's going to get 10 mill minimum but there's no way he's getting Matthews' money. I can't see it.
Paul Marner will be livid reading this thread with people not mentioning Mitch for an A or C.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: April 24, 2019, 05:17:51 PM »

And in the grand scheme of things, his production suffered after his agent shot his mouth off. It's going to be an interesting negotiation for sure. He's going to get 10 mill minimum but there's no way he's getting Matthews' money. I can't see it.
Paul Marner will be livid reading this thread with people not mentioning Mitch for an A or C.
Should he get 10M? He plays wing and with Tavares? How many points would he have gotten in Ottawa? He's amazing no doubt but do we need to set the new standard every time we sign someone? Kane gets 10M should Marner be the highest paid winger in the game? I would like to see something under 10M? You shouldn't receive a bonus for playing with one of the best centers in the game.

Online Guilt Trip

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: April 24, 2019, 05:25:26 PM »

Should he get 10M? He plays wing and with Tavares? How many points would he have gotten in Ottawa? He's amazing no doubt but do we need to set the new standard every time we sign someone? Kane gets 10M should Marner be the highest paid winger in the game? I would like to see something under 10M? You shouldn't receive a bonus for playing with one of the best centers in the game.
Don't talk logically. He's getting 10 plus even though I totally agree with you. I've been saying it all year. Marner is a star but he's not getting 94 points without Tavares. I'm sure the Leafs will look at all angles.