Author Topic: 2012 NHL Entry Draft  (Read 38426 times)

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 2012 NHL Entry Draft
« Reply #495 on: June 24, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »
The trouble with drafting goalies is that there is a relatively low corrrelation between how high they are drafted and how successful they are.

That actually sounds like an excellent argument for drafting goalies, especially in the later rounds.

Yeah. I mean, I'm all for not using a 1st round pick on a goalie unless they're pretty much a sure thing, but, at the same time, teams really should be adding a young goalie to the organization at least every other year - whether it be through the draft or free agency. For what it's worth, Burke has added five young goalies since he took over as GM, though, only one through the draft.

Wasn't it last years 7th rounder?
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #495 on: June 24, 2012, 07:53:14 PM »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 24, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »
Wasn't it last years 7th rounder?

One of last year's 7th rounders, yeah.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: June 25, 2012, 03:10:52 AM »
Yeah. I mean, I'm all for not using a 1st round pick on a goalie unless they're pretty much a sure thing, but, at the same time, teams really should be adding a young goalie to the organization at least every other year - whether it be through the draft or free agency. For what it's worth, Burke has added five young goalies since he took over as GM, though, only one through the draft.

I think though that this point is specific to goalies in the draft. If the argument is that younger goalies are harder to project then 18 year olds will have more potential for scouts being way off on them than, say, a 23 year old FA. If the appeal is to take advantage of that then the draft is the way to go.

That said, I think it's getting less and less true. Goalies like Lundqvist, Miller and Thomas are examples of goalies picked deep in the draft starring but they're all on the wrong side of 30. When you look at the best young goalies in the league:

Rask
Quick
Price
Schneider
Markstrom
Enroth
Bernier

Only Enroth and Quick weren't first round picks but none of them got past the third round. I guess Lindback is an example of a good young goalie picked late but if wikipedia is to be believed he dropped because of a potentially debilitating case of something called Still's disease.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: June 25, 2012, 08:58:49 AM »

I've been all for Burke signing all these goalies, but the quantity doesn't necessarily translate to the quality and using Burke's free wallet analogy, right now we've just found some loose change with these goalies.

While I wouldn't want to see the Leafs burning up a 1st to draft a goalie often, at a time like this when the system needs replenishing I wouldn't mind it.  Sure, goalies take longer to develop and you can sign veterans with track records through free agency, but acquiring a #1 goalie has become more difficult these days.  I just really want to see the Leafs groom a guy from the get-go, and really long for the day when we could tout that we had two potential studs in Rask and Pogge both in the system. 

Two of the most important positions, and the most difficult to obtain -- goaltending and a #1 centre -- and Burke has yet to address either.  :-\

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 25, 2012, 12:45:26 PM »
 :o The Twitterverse is exploding on the belief that Howson was offered the Islanders entire draft - Yes, Snow offered all their picks to move up two spots and Howson turned them down. I mean, what/who is nuttier? A) The rumour or (if true), B) Howson, or C) Snow? 
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 12:48:01 PM by Sgt »

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: June 25, 2012, 12:49:39 PM »
:o The Twitterverse is exploding on the belief that Howson was offered the Islanders entire draft - Yes, Snow offered all their picks to move up two spots and Howson turned them down. I mean, what/who is nuttier? A) The rumour or (if true), B) Howson, or C) Snow?

Both are nutty - one for making the offer and the other one for not jumping on it. I just can't believe it's true. That's insane by Snow.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: June 25, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »

Both are nutty - one for making the offer and the other one for not jumping on it. I just can't believe it's true. That's insane by Snow.

If true, I'd say Howson is an idiot for turning it down.  I can't believe that offer was made.  6-7 draft picks in one draft for one guy?

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: June 25, 2012, 12:54:26 PM »
If true, I'd say Howson is an idiot for turning it down.  I can't believe that offer was made.  6-7 draft picks in one draft for one guy?

I'd say the outlandishness of the rumour is a good sign it isn't true.
-Mark Twain

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: June 25, 2012, 12:54:38 PM »
haha...

Seth Rorabaugh
‏@emptynetters

Teams like the Islanders and Blue Jackets should not be allowed to discuss a trade unless there's an adult present.

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 25, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
Wow! Just wow!...

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC
@Aportzline story about NYI offering CLB all of its picks for Murray (link -- http://bit.ly/MTl4y2) is true. Working on blog, but...

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: June 25, 2012, 01:09:26 PM »
haha...

Seth Rorabaugh
‏@emptynetters

Teams like the Islanders and Blue Jackets should not be allowed to discuss a trade unless there's an adult present.

LOL.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: June 25, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »

I'd say the outlandishness of the rumour is a good sign it isn't true.

I would have thought so, but it's Garth Snow we're talking about, and now Elliot Freedman says it's true.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 25, 2012, 01:12:04 PM »
@FriedgeHNIC.... @Aportzline story about NYI offering CLB all of its picks for Murray (link -- bit.ly/MTl4y2) is true. Working on blog,

Too crazy to be true or too crazy to be made up...?

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: June 25, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »
@FriedgeHNIC.... @Aportzline story about NYI offering CLB all of its picks for Murray (link -- bit.ly/MTl4y2) is true. Working on blog,

Too crazy to be true or too crazy to be made up...?

I think the latter. Can anyone see Burke turning down that offer from NYI? He'd be all over that like flies on s&*t. I don't care how high they rated Morgan Rielly.
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: June 25, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »
haha...

Seth Rorabaugh
‏@emptynetters

LOL. Those teams haven't even made the playoffs in 4 and 6 seasons respectively. What losers.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #509 on: June 25, 2012, 01:15:54 PM »