Author Topic: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins - Round 1  (Read 5466 times)

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Toronto Maple Leafs vs Boston Bruins - Round 1
« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2019, 05:17:44 PM »
I'm honestly looking for opinions here: what is it about Nylander's play that makes someone think he needs to be more competitive?

I think people are looking for him to go head first into corners. I don't think you'll see that from him. That's not him as a player. Like I said, he's a perimeter player.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #165 on: April 16, 2019, 05:17:44 PM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 16, 2019, 05:23:53 PM »

I once had a warehouse job where there wasn't much to do during the day. Despite that, the boss did not like it to look like we weren't busy. So, for most of the summer, we had a stack of boxes in one corner of the warehouse and, whenever we didn't have someone who needed help finding a part, we'd move the boxes from that one corner to a different corner. Then, when we'd moved them all, we'd start moving them back to where they'd originally been.

Some people just want you to look like you're working hard, regardless of whether or not you're accomplishing anything.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 16, 2019, 05:47:32 PM »
I'm honestly looking for opinions here: what is it about Nylander's play that makes someone think he needs to be more competitive?
There's times you see him totaly engaged, full balls to the wall, mucking it up and then you'll see him totally avoid any contact. I don't expect him to be Clark or Hyman. I want more of that guy who engages and less of the I want the avoid contact at all costs Nylander. Not expecting anything he hasn't done. I do like him better at centre tho and  thought he was better last night.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 16, 2019, 07:41:10 PM »

Confirmation bias.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 17, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »
Anyway, if you look at the replay on that play, Rielly was waaay out of position and the only reason Krejci was open. Horrible coverage by him. It worked out luckily.

To me Rielly was following/anticipating the play going along the board, which is what happened and he was cutting DeBrusk off from the net. Goat was the one who left Krejci to begin with to get closer to the puck but wasn't actually covering anyone. And then of course at the end of the clip he falls for no reason and blocks Rielly's path to the play.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 17, 2019, 11:49:20 AM »

This is actually what Dubas said from the beginning of the season.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 17, 2019, 11:59:19 AM »

Hold the phone. Gauthier was on a Team Canada at the WJC and that team won? That changes everything!
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 17, 2019, 12:04:29 PM »

Hold the phone. Gauthier was on a Team Canada at the WJC and that team won? That changes everything!

I'm sure that was all Gauthier playing a 4th line role and not *checks notes* Connor McDavid.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 17, 2019, 12:22:44 PM »

I'm sure that was all Gauthier playing a 4th line role and not *checks notes* Connor McDavid.

Fat lot of good that has done for Edmonton :)

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 17, 2019, 12:45:15 PM »

Hey, are you saying that his two-year total of 0 goals, two assists and -3 rating in 14 WJC games DIDN'T help them win??

Offline LuncheonMeat

• Veteran
  • Reverse Tank!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 17, 2019, 02:39:34 PM »
Anyway, if you look at the replay on that play, Rielly was waaay out of position and the only reason Krejci was open. Horrible coverage by him. It worked out luckily.

To me Rielly was following/anticipating the play going along the board, which is what happened and he was cutting DeBrusk off from the net. Goat was the one who left Krejci to begin with to get closer to the puck but wasn't actually covering anyone. And then of course at the end of the clip he falls for no reason and blocks Rielly's path to the play.

Coming into the D zone, the Goat never so much as looks over his shoulder to see where his man is.
“How many people from Ontario play in the National Hockey League? Once we make it safe, they’re coming home. Mark my words, they’ll be coming.”
~ Mike Bacock, in an open letter to Steven Stamkos Drew Doughty John Tavares

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 17, 2019, 02:43:57 PM »

Goats have panoramic vision so they don't have to turn their heads as much to see peripherally.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2019, 02:54:54 PM »

Maybe it's the style they play now but I always tell my D to get to the house but I get why Rielly went where he was. I'd still prefer the D man to go in front and have the centre pick up DeSuck.

Online L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2019, 04:27:52 PM »

Gauthier 2 points in 17 GP - 1 gold medal

Nylander 11 points in 8 GP - 0 gold medals

More proof that I don't want William on my team.

Online RedLeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »
Here are my hot takes after last nights game, because gender bender loves these so much :)

I definitely think the odds-on favorite is still Boston here. The pendulum might have swung more in the Leafs favour after game 3, but its clearly back on Bostons side now.

That being said, the Leafs are in a better position, and I believe they have better odds of beating the Bruins this year than they did last year.

The Leafs seem to reach into their reserve tank when they play as underdogs, and when they absolutely need to win.

It was reported after last nights game there was a lot of anger in their dressing room, and I really hope that shows in their final few games of this series. Their resentment for past playoff loses to this Bruins team and their passion for winning big games needs to grow and not wither from here on out. If that happens, I think they can win the 2 out of 3 games needed to clinch the round. If they wither under pressure in Boston on Friday, I'll take this all back.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:02:03 AM by RedLeaf »
"The Maple Leafs are like a ship with a hole in the bottom, leaking water, and my job is to get the ship pointed in the right direction." --Steve Jobs for Brendan Shanahan.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2019, 08:54:07 AM »