Author Topic: Coach Mike Babcock  (Read 1240 times)

Offline Chris

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Coach Mike Babcock
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »
I know people were griping about Matthews' ice time for game 7, but weren't the shift counts about the same between Tavares and Matthews? The only reason his minutes came out shorter were Matthews' shift lengths were tighter.
I recall someone posting stats that confirmed this. I also remember watching game 7 and thinking that Matthews was often the first to leave the ice on his line. Made me wonder if he was dealing with some kind of nagging injury. Maybe those screws in his leg were bothering him.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 04:04:47 PM »

I feel like stating things just in raw minutes per game is a bit misleading. Couturier, for instance, is getting 2 and a half minutes of PK time a night. If your stars aren't on the PK, they won't eat time like that.

Likewise, as we all know, the Leafs had some of the fewest PP opportunities in the league last year and had the 4th best goal differential. That means they had less PP time driving up their stars minutes and were one of the most likely teams to have enough of a lead in the third to rest their guys a bit.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »
Another thought from Justin Bourne (I'm a fan of his logic) that came up last week on 590 - in his opinion, Matthews has the ability to crank it up to 110%, a level that no one on this ice can match, but he can't do it playing big minutes, due to his size and the fact he plays more of a power game. He thought his utilization in game 7 reflected a logical approach from babcock, and I'd certainly agree.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »