Author Topic: Coach Mike Babcock  (Read 3696 times)

Offline Chris

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Coach Mike Babcock
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »
I know people were griping about Matthews' ice time for game 7, but weren't the shift counts about the same between Tavares and Matthews? The only reason his minutes came out shorter were Matthews' shift lengths were tighter.
I recall someone posting stats that confirmed this. I also remember watching game 7 and thinking that Matthews was often the first to leave the ice on his line. Made me wonder if he was dealing with some kind of nagging injury. Maybe those screws in his leg were bothering him.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2019, 04:04:47 PM »

I feel like stating things just in raw minutes per game is a bit misleading. Couturier, for instance, is getting 2 and a half minutes of PK time a night. If your stars aren't on the PK, they won't eat time like that.

Likewise, as we all know, the Leafs had some of the fewest PP opportunities in the league last year and had the 4th best goal differential. That means they had less PP time driving up their stars minutes and were one of the most likely teams to have enough of a lead in the third to rest their guys a bit.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2019, 04:05:09 PM »
Another thought from Justin Bourne (I'm a fan of his logic) that came up last week on 590 - in his opinion, Matthews has the ability to crank it up to 110%, a level that no one on this ice can match, but he can't do it playing big minutes, due to his size and the fact he plays more of a power game. He thought his utilization in game 7 reflected a logical approach from babcock, and I'd certainly agree.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2019, 11:20:35 PM »
Rumour is Dubas went to the brass in April for the change and was met with "give it one more year". I'm finally leaning heavily, as Dubas is apparently, to get this change out of the way sooner rather than later. Babcock is a great coach but enhancing strengths instead of minimizing weaknesses might be what this team needs right now. A fresh perspective. Someone not so risk averse. The young core have only heard his voice for 3 years now. They've definitely got the horses to be much better than .500, which they've been since January. And I'm not going to pile on the players, like Button and Burke have done recently.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2019, 12:45:35 PM »
And I'm not going to pile on the players, like Button and Burke have done recently.

So it's all on the coach? A .500 record with three $11 million dollar players on the ice for most of those games and it's on the coach?

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2019, 12:53:58 PM »
And I'm not going to pile on the players, like Button and Burke have done recently.

So it's all on the coach? A .500 record with three $11 million dollar players on the ice for most of those games and it's on the coach?
Defensive systems are on the coach and the Leafs' system is still crap. That's coaching. Leafs issues aren't solely on Babs but he's not exempt from blame.

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2019, 12:59:37 PM »

Defensive systems are on the coach and the Leafs' system is still crap. That's coaching. Leafs issues aren't solely on Babs but he's not exempt from blame.

I'm not letting Babcock off the hook. The poster I quoted let the players off though. That's what I took exception with.
There's also something that I tell the players I've been coaching for 20 years now. I, as a coach can only show you the way. You as a player have to decide whether or not you want it bad enough to put in the work.

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2019, 01:04:39 PM »

I'm not letting Babcock off the hook. The poster I quoted let the players off though. That's what I took exception with.
There's also something that I tell the players I've been coaching for 20 years now. I, as a coach can only show you the way. You as a player have to decide whether or not you want it bad enough to put in the work.
I don't think he let them off. He just said he isn't going to pile on the players like Burke and Button have but I get your point. I've coached a long time as well and I've always been all about the effort.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2019, 01:33:36 PM »

I'm always amazed by the sheer number of people who will attribute what's going wrong with a professional hockey team to either an easily identifiable and fixable tactical problem or a conscious decision on the part of players to play poorly.

Seriously. Millions and millions of dollars are at stake here and people think the collective group running the Leafs can't see what they gleaned through their copious brilliance picked up at beer league and minor midget.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2019, 04:23:50 PM »

I'm always amazed by the sheer number of people who will attribute what's going wrong with a professional hockey team to either an easily identifiable and fixable tactical problem or a conscious decision on the part of players to play poorly.

Seriously. Millions and millions of dollars are at stake here and people think the collective group running the Leafs can't see what they gleaned through their copious brilliance picked up at beer league and minor midget.

I am also amazed by this. I enjoy the message board and I also enjoy the banter between fans of any sport. I just don't think that I know better or that a team's problems can be fixed with the simple change on the powerplay. The workings that go on to make the machine known as the Leafs operate is incredible. The tireless hours put in formulating a plan by management and a staff is crazy. The time put in by the players to stay in shape and improve as players is incredible. To think they just don't care, or are losing on purpose mind boggling.

Offline Stebro

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2019, 09:49:04 AM »
Have you guys heard the interview with Commodore regarding Babcock? I don't know what's accurate and not, but it's quite entertaining though.
Life only demands from you the strength that you possess. Only one feat is possible; not to run away.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2019, 11:25:20 AM »
Have you guys heard the interview with Commodore regarding Babcock? I don't know what's accurate and not, but it's quite entertaining though.
Commodore clearly has issues. Nobody well adjusted would spend most of their online life deriding a former boss.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2019, 10:31:32 PM »
I'm not sure I'm at the "fire Babcock" stage yet, but looking forward in case Dubas goes down that path, what options are out there?

Boucher?

Offline Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2019, 11:10:31 PM »
I'm not sure I'm at the "fire Babcock" stage yet, but looking forward in case Dubas goes down that path, what options are out there?

Boucher?
Keefe will be the guy and I'm ready. Defensive zone structure is horrible. Not playing your stars enough. Being stubborn with line matches, back up goalie playing time, all that stuff. I posted in the GDT, Matthews played just under 17 mins against the Habs and around 5:30 in the 3rd period while we're down by a goal, at first. I also don't like this not allowing our top lines to start in the D zone area. You can't learn if you don't play the positions.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 11:15:53 PM by Guilt Trip »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2019, 11:10:31 PM »