Author Topic: Contracts for the Big-3  (Read 37183 times)

BarMutt and 8 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Contracts for the Big-3
« Reply #1530 on: November 10, 2018, 02:05:08 PM »
The other thing people say is that Nylander's ~16 minutes of average ice time per game pales in comparison to players like Connor McDavid who play around 22 minutes per game.  They say Nylander would score more goals and points with more minutes on the ice.  That is a fair point, IMO.  However I do also believe that Auston Matthews inflates Nylander's point totals which counteracts the ice time thing somewhat.
I don't think there's a linear progression of minutes to points. If he scored 61 points playing 16 min/game doesn't automatically mean he'll score more if he plays more minutes. Maybe the more minutes come against tougher competition or maybe he's more fatigued playing more and won't put up higher numbers

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: November 10, 2018, 02:20:54 PM »
The other thing people say is that Nylander's ~16 minutes of average ice time per game pales in comparison to players like Connor McDavid who play around 22 minutes per game.  They say Nylander would score more goals and points with more minutes on the ice.  That is a fair point, IMO.  However I do also believe that Auston Matthews inflates Nylander's point totals which counteracts the ice time thing somewhat.
I don't think there's a linear progression of minutes to points. If he scored 61 points playing 16 min/game doesn't automatically mean he'll score more if he plays more minutes. Maybe the more minutes come against tougher competition or maybe he's more fatigued playing more and won't put up higher numbers

this was a thought i had a while ago too.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: November 10, 2018, 02:31:27 PM »

this was a thought i had a while ago too.
It would be nice to frickin find out if he was actually playing. Marner has already seemed to take another step this season and is on track for more than a point a game. Nylander's output might have increased too with the new lines and the ability for Babcock to play Matthews line against lesser competition cause of Tavares. Just sign a damn bridge and let's see this team firing on all cylinders

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: November 10, 2018, 02:44:04 PM »

I've said this before but assuming Nylander was going to be put on a scoring role on basically any team he'd be on, his linemates really aren't exceptional in terms of their effect on his scoring. Even Matthews, at his best, was just over a point per game year.

My guess is he could have been in as good if not a better situation on at least half of the teams in the league.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline KadriFan

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: November 10, 2018, 03:43:28 PM »
Anyone know how many goals Nylander has scored without Matthews?
Last year when Matthews was out Nylander scored 3 goals in 20 games. I don't know the number when he was on another line tho.

Thanks.  With Matthews hurt I guess there's no urgency to sign him lol

Offline Mot the Barber

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: November 10, 2018, 07:03:35 PM »
Welp I dropped Nylander today. 

Online Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: November 10, 2018, 09:08:09 PM »
Apparently the Leafs will entertain trade proposals for Nylander. According to Kypreos the Leafs haven't offered Pastrnak money yet.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: November 10, 2018, 09:16:03 PM »
Apparently the Leafs will entertain trade proposals for Nylander. According to Kypreos the Leafs haven't offered Pastrnak money yet.
We all know Kypreos and Dubas are BFF so you have to believe everything Kyper says

Online Guilt Trip

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: November 10, 2018, 09:23:29 PM »
We all know Kypreos and Dubas are BFF so you have to believe everything Kyper says
Kypreos wasn't the one saying anything about the trade stuff. That was Friedman. There was someone else who said the Leafs weren't offering over 6.5 yet beside Kypreos. Heard that before. Who knows. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: November 10, 2018, 09:30:54 PM »
Kypreos wasn't the one saying anything about the trade stuff. That was Friedman. There was someone else who said the Leafs weren't offering over 6.5 yet beside Kypreos. Heard that before. Who knows. I guess we'll see in a few weeks.
Offering Pasta money won't do anything if he's looking for 8.5

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: November 10, 2018, 09:31:00 PM »

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: November 10, 2018, 09:33:35 PM »
Teams have been informed that Dubas is doing due diligence with enough runway to establish contingencies.

But also, Leafs deliberately nudge nudge wink winking the insiders to pressure Gross and Co.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: November 10, 2018, 09:33:50 PM »

Sure. But if the Leafs are showing little to no interest in moving up from their original offer than the Nylander camp probably isn't going to rush to move down from theirs.

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: November 10, 2018, 10:13:20 PM »
Teams have been informed that Dubas is doing due diligence with enough runway to establish contingencies.

But also, Leafs deliberately nudge nudge wink winking the insiders to pressure Gross and Co.

In all seriousness, at this point all this tango-ing is just for public consumption (or, actually, is being generated by HNIC producers to fill air time with "insider" blather).  Either they come together on numbers or they don't.  It's all in the math right now.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: November 11, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »

In all seriousness, at this point all this tango-ing is just for public consumption (or, actually, is being generated by HNIC producers to fill air time with "insider" blather).  Either they come together on numbers or they don't.  It's all in the math right now.
Yeah no kidding. If the Leafs were looking to trade Nylander, him and his agent would have known about it long before HNIC ever said anything to us. I don't see how "public pressure" would change anything in any event, Nylander has been in Sweden and we haven't seen or heard from him in months

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1544 on: November 11, 2018, 09:38:05 AM »