Author Topic: Police Say Multiple Pedestrians Struck by Van Near Yonge & Finch - CP24  (Read 1684 times)

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

TMLfans.ca

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Apparently four deaths. A friend works at Yonge and Finch.  :'(

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
Apparently four deaths. A friend works at Yonge and Finch.  :'(

They said it was also close to Yonge/North York Centre. I lived on Doris Ave for a few years and have a friend who still lives there.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile

That's not too far south of me. Seems unlikely but you hope that this was just a terrible accident instead of being done maliciously.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline Peter D.

• Global Moderator
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

That's not too far south of me. Seems unlikely but you hope that this was just a terrible accident instead of being done maliciously.

Unfortunately, sounds like the latter as opposed to the former.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
I work here.  It's a crazy scene outside.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
I can't tell you how many times I've walked down that sidewalk during lunch.  Walking from Yonge & Finch down to almost Mel Lastman square.  Kind of scary.

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
I'm glad you guys nearby are all okay.

Offline Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Apparently the guy that was driving the van appeared to pull a gun out and point at police.  The bravest cop I ever saw (on video) just walks up and arrests the guy, the perp drops his gun (or whatever it was) before the cop arrests him.

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
Apparently the guy that was driving the van appeared to pull a gun out and point at police.  The bravest cop I ever saw (on video) just walks up and arrests the guy, the perp drops his gun (or whatever it was) before the cop arrests him.

I'm pretty confident that wasn't a gun in his hand, and I imagine the officer saw that as well. I think the guy was hoping to get shot instead of having to face the consequences of his actions.

(Not to downplay the bravery of the officer - regardless of whether or not he identified it was a gun, he acted fearlessly.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 03:40:21 PM by bustaheims »
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
Re: Police Say Multiple Pedestrians Struck by Van Near Yonge & Finch - CP24
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 03:41:14 PM »

I'm pretty confident that wasn't a gun in his hand, and I imagine the officer saw that as well. I think the guy was hoping to get shot instead of having to face the consequences of his actions.

(Not to downplay the bravery of the officer - regardless of whether or not he identified it was a gun, he acted fearlessly.)

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 04:50:06 PM »

Just awful.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 07:11:55 PM »

So they've released the identity of the suspect and it doesn't appear to be any sort of organized terrorist thing.
-Karl Marx

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 10:12:17 PM »
So they've released the identity of the suspect and it doesn't appear to be any sort of organized terrorist thing.

There's some speculation he was inspired by/admired Elliot Rodger, who killed 6 people and injured 14 more in 2014 because he couldn't get a date.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 10:15:57 PM »

There's some speculation he was inspired by/admired Elliot Rodger, who killed 6 people and injured 14 more in 2014 because he couldn't get a date.

Yeah, this very much has the stink of it of some nobody who does something like this because they think that killing a bunch of people will make them a somebody.

For all the handwringing about "terrorism" the truth is that right now we have a much bigger problem with disaffected young men who are really just upset that the world wasn't handed to them.
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 10:15:57 PM »