Author Topic: Bruins @ Leafs - Apr. 23rd, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Bruins @ Leafs - Apr. 23rd, 7:00pm - CBC, Fan 590
« Reply #330 on: April 24, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »
I'm pretty sure I popped a blood vessel in my eye trying to muffle the scream when Plekanec scored in to the empty net.  My kids were asleep.
I hit my head on the bulkhead in my basement when he scored. Muffled scream as well as kids were sleeping upstairs.

Leafs best game of the series.

;D  You guys are funny.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #330 on: April 24, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 24, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
I'm pretty sure I popped a blood vessel in my eye trying to muffle the scream when Plekanec scored in to the empty net.  My kids were asleep.
I hit my head on the bulkhead in my basement when he scored. Muffled scream as well as kids were sleeping upstairs.

Leafs best game of the series.

;D  You guys are funny.

It's not funny today.  People think I have ebola.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: April 24, 2018, 10:30:22 AM »
Win or lose this series the one thing that’s going to piss me off the most is the numbers of times Marchand can be hit and we skate by him. I don’t get it. Is he off limits?

I wonder if this is a deliberate strategy by the Leafs. Don't hit Marchand (ignore him) and Marchand doesn't get amped up and into the game.

Whatever they're doing seems to be working.

ding ding ding

Oh I see, when Dappleganger you'll agree with it, but when I say it, you just ignore it.  That hurts Herman.  That hurts where my heart should be.

Got you off your game, did I?

Offline Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 24, 2018, 10:32:30 AM »
Mitch Marner:

“This world is made for loving each other and making each other better, and the things that have been happening this last year are unfortunate,” said Marner, a native of Thornhill. “We have to stop them some way, somehow. It was a big win for us after an emotional day.”

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: April 24, 2018, 10:33:58 AM »
Win or lose this series the one thing that’s going to piss me off the most is the numbers of times Marchand can be hit and we skate by him. I don’t get it. Is he off limits?

I wonder if this is a deliberate strategy by the Leafs. Don't hit Marchand (ignore him) and Marchand doesn't get amped up and into the game.

ding ding ding

Oh I see, when Dappleganger you'll agree with it, but when I say it, you just ignore it.  That hurts Herman.  That hurts where my heart should be.

Got you off your game, did I?

Yeah a little.  I'll just try and be a gud pro about it.  I'll keep working and posting and you know the good things will come from that. 
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be.” - Khalil Gibran

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 24, 2018, 10:38:52 AM »
Gardiner 25:22
Zaitsev 21:16
Hainsey 21:03
Rielly 19:04
Polak 18:36
Dermott 9:03

Gardiner with the big lead in ice-time.

Babs going down to 5 defencemen has been a bit of a trend now. Dermott played just 1 shift in the 3rd.

I can't remember if it was in the first or second but I noticed another change in defensive deployment:

Offensive zone faceoff:   Dermott - Zaitsev
Defensive zone faceoff:   Gardiner - Polak

I haven't looked at the shift charts but Babcock did that quite a bit whenever Bergeron's line wasn't on the ice.

For the most part, I don't mind it.  Polak's biggest weaknesses are probably holding the offensive blueline and in transition.  He's much more useful in his own end.  Zaitsev is much better suited to be on the offensive blueline.

But yeah, maybe in the third they didn't have many offensive zone draws so Gardiner just played a TON to shelter Dermott.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 24, 2018, 10:39:57 AM »

ding ding ding

Yeah, I saw I was aping your comment when I continued reading the thread.  :-[

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 24, 2018, 10:41:21 AM »
Hey Rick Astley is interviewing Andersen again.

He's never gonna give him up.
And he won't cry for help
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 24, 2018, 10:48:29 AM »
Hey Rick Astley is interviewing Andersen again.

He's never gonna give him up.

And he won't cry for help

I feel very let down by this.

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 24, 2018, 10:49:39 AM »

ding ding ding

Yeah, I saw I was aping your comment when I continued reading the thread.  :-[

It's cool.  Two things to take from it.

1.  We are both clearly right.
2.  It is better to have posted and had herman completely ignore you than it is to have never posted at all.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 24, 2018, 11:28:17 AM »
What an exciting game. Kapanen, Plekanec, Brown, Nylander and Marner really stood out for me. And I thought Gardiner was very good on the back end of things.

A plea to Babcock for game 7: Pleeeease stop sending your forwards to the Bruins blue line during defensive zone breakouts. The amount of icings and giveaways as a result of 0 forwards being anywhere near their defensize zone was staggering. You could see how much easier breaking out was in the third period when that silly 'stagnant blueline standing' strategy wasn't employed and how much better the team played as a result.

Anyway that's my armchair criticism/observation for the day ;)  I'm happy the Leafs made a series out of this; Boston is clearly the superior team.

Offline Chris

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 24, 2018, 11:36:46 AM »
Anyway that's my armchair criticism/observation for the day ;)  I'm happy the Leafs made a series out of this; Boston is clearly the superior team.
I was thinking that last night especially during the second period, but upon further reflection...I don't think it's clear cut. The Bruins are certainly more effective at certain phases of the game. They are more effective at establishing offensive zone play, better along the boards whereas the Leafs are more of a quick-strike offense. This makes the game look skewed in the Bruins favor but here we are 3-3 with one game to go. Both goalies have been good but Andersen has been better the past 2 games so I don't think one can say that the Bruins are clearly superior overall...

Offline Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 24, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
I was thinking that last night especially during the second period, but upon further reflection...I don't think it's clear cut. The Bruins are certainly more effective at certain phases of the game. They are more effective at establishing offensive zone play, better along the boards whereas the Leafs are more of a quick-strike offense. This makes the game look skewed in the Bruins favor but here we are 3-3 with one game to go. Both goalies have been good but Andersen has been better the past 2 games so I don't think one can say that the Bruins are clearly superior overall...

I think the biggest advantage Boston has is more experienced players.  There are still a few players on that team left over from their Cup winning team.  They also went to the finals in 2013.

Leafs have Hainsey who has a cup, outside of that the only players on the Leafs who have won a playoff round are Marleau, Plekanec and Polak. 

This is a learn on the fly series for the young guys, and I think the Leafs have looked better and better with each game.  We'll see how good they look Wednesday. 

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 24, 2018, 12:02:38 PM »

I think the biggest advantage Boston has is more experienced players.  There are still a few players on that team left over from their Cup winning team.  They also went to the finals in 2013.

Leafs have Hainsey who has a cup, outside of that the only players on the Leafs who have won a playoff round are Marleau, Plekanec and Polak. 

This is a learn on the fly series for the young guys, and I think the Leafs have looked better and better with each game.  We'll see how good they look Wednesday.

JVR has been to a stanley Cup final with Philiadelphia. It was awhile ago.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 24, 2018, 12:13:29 PM »

JVR has been to a stanley Cup final with Philiadelphia. It was awhile ago.

Last night was Andersen's 40th playoff game, and he took Anaheim all the way to Game 7 of the Conference Finals one year (the only team to take Chicago to 7 games in those playoffs).

According to ESPN, Boston's roster had 917 playoff games total while the Leafs roster had 663 games. However, that's counting Brian Gionta's 112 games and he hasn't and won't play in this series. So the edge isn't massive. A lot of the guys from Boston's Cup runs are gone (except of course much of the core), and Boston is also relying on a lot of young/inexperienced players.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #344 on: April 24, 2018, 12:13:29 PM »