Author Topic: Phaneuf traded to LA  (Read 422 times)

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
Phaneuf traded to LA
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »
Phaneuf has been traded to the Kings and has been pulled from the Sens/Pens game.

TMLfans.ca

Phaneuf traded to LA
« on: February 13, 2018, 09:27:56 PM »

Offline Heroic Shrimp

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Phaneuf traded to LA
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »
Phaneuf has been traded to the Kings and has been pulled from the Sens/Pens game.

Supersize my Freedom Fries

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 09:52:49 PM »
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 09:56:59 PM »
Why do either team make this trade?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 10:14:02 PM »
The money Gaborik is owed goes down and his cap hit stays at that price and they can put him on the IR and get the cap space if he is done and they decide they want to spend.

LA like to play the hard nosed style Phaneuf can play and they think having a player that can play is worth not paying Gaborik and him sitting on IR.

To be fair, Phaneuf is probably still capable of being a very good bottom pair guy. Ottawa was playing him against the toughest competition apparently.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 10:17:30 PM by WhatIfGodWasALeaf »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 10:14:32 PM »

Hey, sometimes the deck chairs need rearranging.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:15:00 PM »

I kinda get it from LA's position - they're trying to beef up their blue line for a run at the last wildcard spot, and they really don't give up much, as Gaborik has really struggled this season and Shore is basically a 3rd line depth type (and Thompson pretty much replaces him). I don't get it from Ottawa's perspective, other than the fact they save some money in terms of real dollars (around $4M in total). In terms of talent/team building, it's an odd choice for them, as there's barely any cap savings (other than potential LTIR, as Gaborik is Gaborik) and they don't really improve for the future.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 10:26:45 PM »
Phaneuf at 5.25M isn’t terrible. Thank you Sens for taking that bullet for us. Even with the salary retention Sens save money but are now a worse team. +Phaneuf and -Gaborik at similar salaries equals a better LA team.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Bates

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 10:40:40 PM »
Saravelli says $5.5 million in cash savings for the Sens.

I kinda get it from LA's position - they're trying to beef up their blue line for a run at the last wildcard spot, and they really don't give up much, as Gaborik has really struggled this season and Shore is basically a 3rd line depth type (and Thompson pretty much replaces him). I don't get it from Ottawa's perspective, other than the fact they save some money in terms of real dollars (around $4M in total). In terms of talent/team building, it's an odd choice for them, as there's barely any cap savings (other than potential LTIR, as Gaborik is Gaborik) and they don't really improve for the future.

Offline cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2018, 10:53:23 PM »
Saravelli says $5.5 million in cash savings for the Sens.

More money for seat tarps! I usually enjoy razing them but now I’m afraid to because they might be heading towards folding.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:06:12 PM by cabber24 »
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2018, 11:20:09 PM »
The Leafs making that original trade to get rid of him seems like highway robbery at this point and to not retain salary? Magical!

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2018, 11:28:32 PM »
Enjoy Cali Dion and Elisha :)
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »
To be fair, Phaneuf is probably still capable of being a very good bottom pair guy. Ottawa was playing him against the toughest competition apparently.

They'll almost certainly play him somewhere in their top-4. I wouldn't even be surprised if they tried him with Doughty initially. His most common defence partner so far this season has been Derek Forbort.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2018, 08:47:00 AM »
Who we gonna boo in Ottawa now?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »
Who we gonna boo in Ottawa now?

Burrows still has another year on his contract.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2018, 08:52:46 AM »