Author Topic: Erik Karlsson  (Read 2126 times)

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Erik Karlsson
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:51:54 PM »
General Erik Karlsson thread. Not sure where it belongs. I find this one fascinating. After Stamkos I've come around on these guys re-signing with their clubs long term for max dollars. Stammer, Price, I'm predicting Johnny T. This one has me intrigued. Melnyk vocal about being on a budget. Albatross contracts in Bobby Ryan, Phaneuf, etc. If their window has closed could be time for a complete rebuild. I'm guessing he stays, but anything's possible. He can't be happy with the way things have gone there this year, and what about the future...

Basically every team, yours truly included would be SALIVATING at getting this guy. So the question is, what would you send the other way? Stud D puts a lot of teams over the top. It would be hard but would you move picks, prospects, young players, cap space and anyone not named Auston Matthews?

2017-2018: $6.5-million (modified NTC - 10 teams)
2018-2019: $6.5-million (modified NTC - 10 teams)
2019-2020: UFA

Very sketchy rumours that the ten teams include areas in California, Tampa, even Detroit.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 02:11:47 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

TMLfans.ca

Erik Karlsson
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:51:54 PM »

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Erik Karlsson
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 02:00:55 PM »
General Erik Karlsson thread. Not sure where it belongs. I find this one fascinating. After Stamkos I've come around on these guys re-signing with their clubs long term for dollars. Stammer, Price, I'm predicting Johnny T. This one has me intrigued. Melnyk vocal about being on a budget. Albatross contracts in Bobby Ryan, Phaneuf, etc. If their window has closed could be time for a complete rebuild. I'm guessing he stays, but anything's possible. He can't be happy with the way things have gone there this year, and what about the future. Eight more years of crap?

Basically every team, yours truly included would be SALIVATING at getting this guy. So the question is, what would you send the other way? Stud D puts a lot of teams over the top. It would be sooo hard but would you move picks, prospects, young players and anyone not named Auston Matthews?

Not this year, which may take you out of the running.  The issue is he hasn't looked quite the same since he had that tendon graft in his ankle.  He's openly admitted that it may be something that he never gets used too.  When you trade for him, the price is going to be higher based on what he used to do, but he may not be able to do that any more, so it may be best to wait and see if he can reach that level again.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Can8899

• Marlie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 02:34:15 PM »
General Erik Karlsson thread. Not sure where it belongs. I find this one fascinating. After Stamkos I've come around on these guys re-signing with their clubs long term for max dollars. Stammer, Price, I'm predicting Johnny T. This one has me intrigued. Melnyk vocal about being on a budget. Albatross contracts in Bobby Ryan, Phaneuf, etc. If their window has closed could be time for a complete rebuild. I'm guessing he stays, but anything's possible. He can't be happy with the way things have gone there this year, and what about the future...

Basically every team, yours truly included would be SALIVATING at getting this guy. So the question is, what would you send the other way? Stud D puts a lot of teams over the top. It would be hard but would you move picks, prospects, young players, cap space and anyone not named Auston Matthews?

Very sketchy rumours that the ten teams include areas in California, Tampa, even Detroit.

It would likely cost the Leafs way too much given the quality of player and considering that we're in the same division.  It would certainly kick-start the ottawa re-build but would almost assuredly dismantle a lot of the good work that has been done so far in Toronto.

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 02:56:10 PM »
I have a better chance of winning the Norris trophy than Melnyk approving a trade that sends Erik Karlsson to the Leafs.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 03:02:51 PM »
I have a better chance of winning the Norris trophy than Melnyk approving a trade that sends Erik Karlsson to the Leafs.

Well Melnyk is impulsive....
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 03:34:01 PM »

Do you shoot RH?

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 04:28:45 PM »

Do you shoot RH?

No :(

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 04:48:20 PM »

Do you shoot RH?

No :(

We can be partners! I can skate backwards!

Offline AvroArrow

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 06:18:29 PM »
The only way Karlsson has a chance of being traded to the leafs is if one of Nylander or Marner is involved, and I'm not sure I make that deal...

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2018, 08:26:49 AM »
I would do it 2 1st + a 2nd + JVR (rental)

2nd 1st rounder top 3 protected.

And only for McDavid, I would include Marner or Nylander in a deal
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2018, 08:52:30 AM »
Ottawa, the team competing for the first overall pick in the draft, is looking to take JVR as a rental?

Cool story bro.

Offline Kaberle15

• Veteran
  • They Did it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 09:04:21 AM »
Ottawa, the team competing for the first overall pick in the draft, is looking to take JVR as a rental?

Cool story bro.
They can flip him for more assets until the Deadline... They could grab like 3 1st and 2 ends with combined deals...
A.K.A Gardiner51, Changed back to Kaberle15 now that he is retired.

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2018, 02:20:12 PM »
Only seen Karlsson a few times this year but he's been mediocre. That playoff run was dominant. Could be a combination of post heel surgery difficulties and being on a club way past playing any meaningful games. Why push yourself right?
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 02:31:28 PM »
Only seen Karlsson a few times this year but he's been mediocre. That playoff run was dominant. Could be a combination of post heel surgery difficulties and being on a club way past playing any meaningful games. Why push yourself right?
Is Karlsson the same player he once was?  Wonder if those injuries are catching up to him or if it's just a bad year and he'll bounce back next season?  Imagine a team gives him a monster contract as a UFA and the Karlsson of this season is what you get for 7 years.

Offline Guru Tugginmypuddah

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »
NHL hockey is increasingly becoming a younger and younger mans game.  These UFA's who are 27+ are still very good, but their shelf life is quickly expiring as they are approaching 30+.  Of course there are exceptions to every rule, but committing big dollars for long term to 27+ UFA's makes me extremely nervous. 

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »