Author Topic: Drew Doughty / Erik Karlsson / Oliver Ekman-Larsson  (Read 3511 times)

Offline herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
Re: Drew Doughty / Erik Karlsson / Oliver Ekman-Larsson
« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 09:14:20 AM »
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-erik-karlsson-trade-rumours-ottawa-senators/

In the immediate aftermath of Karlsson’s comments, there was a lot of anger inside the organization. Owner Eugene Melnyk is always the flashpoint, but it went deeper. There was at least one tense meeting between the captain and team officials. In a conversation with Sportsnet’s Arash Madani last weekend in San Jose, the franchise cornerstone said his quotes were taken out of context.

Melnyk definitely had this song on repeat in his office all week.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #30 on: December 12, 2017, 09:14:20 AM »

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 12, 2017, 09:55:22 AM »

*chef's kiss*

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »

See, this is the thing I just never got about small market teams like Ottawa and their fans being pro-salary cap. All it did was provide an incentive for teams with a lot of money that were spending their money on free agency, which wasn't a typically successful team building strategy, to instead try to corner the market on scouting and player development, which was the one area small market teams could corner the market in.

Ultimately, I really think that being spurned by homegrown free agents, the emotional reaction to them leaving for more money in a bigger city, was a bigger deal than genuinely being competitive.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2017, 03:56:06 PM »

Wonder if we'll be hearing someone else say this soon.

Online Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2017, 04:09:56 PM »
I remember another sens captain who left unceremoniously. 

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2017, 04:49:13 PM »
I remember another sens captain who left unceremoniously. 

Yeah that Yashin break-up was tough.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2017, 04:55:11 PM »

I confess to being guilty of wrong thinking on this issue a time or two myself but anyone else suddenly happy the Leafs are owned by a faceless, heartless conglomerate rather than one competitive billionaire?
-Mark Twain

Offline Coco-puffs

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2017, 05:11:59 PM »

I confess to being guilty of wrong thinking on this issue a time or two myself but anyone else suddenly happy the Leafs are owned by a faceless, heartless conglomerate rather than one competitive billionaire?

Well, when that billionaire barely has any money left, then I'll take the faceless, heartless conglomerate (with plenty of money).

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2017, 06:37:55 PM »

Well, when that billionaire barely has any money left, then I'll take the faceless, heartless conglomerate (with plenty of money).

Harold Ballard was another Multi-Millionaire who really knew how to screw up a hockey franchise. I know I get roasted on this every time I bring it up but TFC just won the MLSCup in huge fashion. Leafs are now listed as contenders,  Raptors looking pretty good.  I think if only for TFC, Lewieke needs another shout out. 
Now lets bring the Jays and Argos into the fold and really build an atmosphere of winning.

The template of success seems to now be ingrained in MLSE franchises
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2017, 06:44:38 PM »
I know I get roasted on this every time I bring it up but TFC just won the MLSCup in huge fashion. Leafs are now listed as contenders,  Raptors looking pretty good.  I think if only for TFC, Lewieke needs another shout out. 

Your obsession with giving Leiweke credit repeatedly instead of the people actually doing the heavy lifting is absolutely bizarre.
-Mark Twain

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2017, 08:05:27 PM »
The Chessmaster put the pieces in place to lift the heavy stuff.  No one has every said that Lewieke was a GM or Manager or Coach.  But he was and is a visionary.  He does deserve the credit which seems fairly lacking around ol T.O.
I keep getting reminded of the old axiom of "pearls before the swine".

Nik you are fairly brilliant I realize this, maybe not as much as Herman, but pretty close but sometimes you are contrary for the sake of it. Give credit where credit is due. 
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »
Lieweke planted some good seeds, nothing wrong with giving him credit for that while still realizing that it was the others who worked the farm daily and it is them that deserves the majority of the credit for what looks like a bountiful crop.

Play nice gentlemen.  ;)

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2017, 08:18:52 PM »
Lieweke planted some good seeds, nothing wrong with giving him credit for that while still realizing that it was the others who worked the farm daily and it is them that deserves the majority of the credit for what looks like a bountiful crop.

Play nice gentlemen.  ;)
Are you accusing me of being a Gentleman ;)  Yes the others tilled the farm and they are highly capable people (put in place by none other than Tim L) and deserve more than their fair share of credit. We have to admit that there is a hierarchy however. 

As Above so Below!
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2017, 08:39:38 PM »
The Chessmaster put the pieces in place to lift the heavy stuff.  No one has every said that Lewieke was a GM or Manager or Coach.  But he was and is a visionary.  He does deserve the credit which seems fairly lacking around ol T.O.

I don't really want to relitigate this because you getting "roasted" was really just a case of this nonsense being exposed as such at length but for bullet points:

1) "Hire talented people and don't interfere too much" is not brilliant or innovative management strategy when you're working with a huge budget
2) He shouldn't get much in the way of credit just for being better than what came before
3) Whatever credit should be given for Raptors/Leafs championships should be given after they're, you know, won. The Raptors, in particular, are largely an irrelevance in any meaningful sense championship-wise
4) To the extent that he did do a good job in his time here, he left of his own volition before the job was done. The criticism of him is not "he did a bad job" but "he bailed before seeing things out".

But, to his full credit, he played some sort of role in a team I don't care about winning a championship in a sport I don't care about.
-Mark Twain

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 11:09:03 PM »
Big dollar long term commitment to players on the door step of 30 years old, I dunno, just makes me nervous. 

This current group is sitting at 4th overall in the league 2 weeks before Christmas.  I know we all want them to win now, but I just don't think this team will be good enough or experienced enough for another couple years to win a cup.

I think with internal improvement, internal promotion, and the signing of maybe a tier B free agent dman or two, this team will be pretty good.

Having said that, if there is anyway possible Leafs could squeeze Doughty in under that cap, I would do it.

I agree. Guys can get old very quick in their thirties. If that happens to a guy you've committed 6-8 years to, it's albatross time. It's why I think a guy like JVR will walk cuz he'll want term but he's pushing thirty.

The Leafs superstar core is incredibly young. Internally and with the passage of time this team will continue to improve on it's own. I still consider this year a growth year. That said, the 1D position almost never comes around. I think everyone stays where they are. Keep drafting D and hope you get lucky.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 11:14:26 PM by disco »
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2017, 11:09:03 PM »