Author Topic: Lightning @ Leafs - Apr. 6th, 7:30pm - TSN, TSN 1050  (Read 4346 times)

Offline Bender

• Veteran
  • Hot diggity daffodil!
    • View Profile
Re: Lightning @ Leafs - Apr. 6th, 7:30pm - TSN, TSN 1050
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2017, 11:11:02 PM »
Hard to watch a team lose like that twice in a row. But you know they wouldn't even be near here without going on that very improbable late run. They can still get in without winning any games remaining though.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 06, 2017, 11:31:45 PM »
Tough to watch.  Was hoping for the stress levels to go down not up. Lol.

Guess they'll need to accomplish things the hard way, and that means defeating Pittsburgh Saturday night.  If only they had won tonight, they could have relaxed a little, instead of feeling the pressure of the situation especially in front of the home crowd.

No one had any expectations of this team to have come this far this year, still,  when you're so close to clinching a playoff which is the position they find themselves in, it's tough to ignore and the pressure builds.

I'm still somehow optimistic they'll sqeak in but it won't be easy and whoever's in the net will need to be great.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 11:34:30 PM by hockeyfan1 »

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2017, 02:05:45 AM »
Their performance has really pi**ed me off

What a joke of an effort.

Tough for me to think this was an effort issue this late in the season. Something else is lacking.

Stop watching. 11-2-1 before Washington and Tampa. You're pathetic. I still love 'em.

I'm pathetic? Just because they had everything in their favour tonight. Everything! And they still came up with this performance. I'm the one who's pathetic? KMA, my friend. I've been watching this team longer than you've been alive and yet I'm still here. I have every right as a fan to be teed off and not look at them through rose coloured glasses.

This was extremely disappointing. Now they play 2 of the best teams in the NHL and will need to play an awful lot better and have now set themselves up for the Caps -if they make it.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2017, 02:47:11 AM »
Their performance has really pi**ed me off

What a joke of an effort.

Tough for me to think this was an effort issue this late in the season. Something else is lacking.

Stop watching. 11-2-1 before Washington and Tampa. You're pathetic. I still love 'em.

I'm pathetic? Just because they had everything in their favour tonight. Everything! And they still came up with this performance. I'm the one who's pathetic? KMA, my friend. I've been watching this team longer than you've been alive and yet I'm still here. I have every right as a fan to be teed off and not look at them through rose coloured glasses.

This was extremely disappointing. Now they play 2 of the best teams in the NHL and will need to play an awful lot better and have now set themselves up for the Caps -if they make it.

Face the Caps or no playoffs.  Which is better?  8)

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2017, 06:28:49 AM »

There've just been too many 3rd periods like this for me to be super invested in whether the team makes the playoffs or not. They've already wildly exceeded expectations, the playoffs should be seen as a nice bonus and not something to lose our minds over.
When you have 4 remaining home games to end the season, and missing the playoffs means you would lose all 4 in regulation, how can you not be invested?  Last night was an embarrassing loss. Tampa has so many injuries and Leafs a healthy lineup and yet they laid that egg. Two more like that and this goes down as another 18 wheeler type collapse.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »
If we could all predict how a hockey game turns out by looking at lineup cards and records there'd be no point watching.

Hockey results are still very much luck derived where team skill and systems try to stack the probabilities in their favour. It's a game of mistakes and some nights you don't cash in on the ones you encounter and create, and some nights you do.

Despite what Kucherov demonstrated last night, no one can truly will goals to happen, only try to set up an environment in which it becomes very likely.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2017, 07:53:20 AM »
When you have 4 remaining home games to end the season, and missing the playoffs means you would lose all 4 in regulation, how can you not be invested?

Pretty easily. I've never really thought them making the playoffs was of huge importance and it's dead simple to maintain that.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2017, 08:11:34 AM »
When you have 4 remaining home games to end the season, and missing the playoffs means you would lose all 4 in regulation, how can you not be invested?

Pretty easily. I've never really thought them making the playoffs was of huge importance and it's dead simple to maintain that.

I think this is fair.  If you look at our preseason prediction thread, only a single poster put the Leafs in legitimate playoff contention at 93 points.    It's still frustrating to see just how far away from being a legitimate contender this team is.  I'm mildly concerned that they won't have the opportunity to find that defenseman who fills the role that they need.

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2017, 08:23:41 AM »

I think this is fair.  If you look at our preseason prediction thread, only a single poster put the Leafs in legitimate playoff contention at 93 points.    It's still frustrating to see just how far away from being a legitimate contender this team is.  I'm mildly concerned that they won't have the opportunity to find that defenseman who fills the role that they need.

There's not one guy on that team that would look back on this season as a success if they fall short here.  It doesn't matter that they overachieved all season, accumulated way more points than anyone expected.  When you push right to the brink, where you only need 1 more win out of 4 HOME GAMES, it's fairly pathetic if they're not able to accomplish that.  In 78 games leading up to the last 4, there was never a stretch all season where the Leafs played 4 straight games and didn't get at least 2 points.  To save that feat for the very last 4 games where a win puts them into the playoffs is a huge failure. 

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2017, 08:35:26 AM »
There's not one guy on that team that would look back on this season as a success if they fall short here.

I don't care all that much how the guys on the team see the season but to the extent I do, I'm not sure them being frustrated by the end is all that worse than them looking back on it as a success. So long as it drives them to come back next year and work harder, failure can be a motivating factor.

It doesn't matter that they overachieved all season, accumulated way more points than anyone expected. 

Well, that's just not true. Those things matter to me. They impact how I'll see the season and how I'll feel going forward. If you want to stew and explode about a team having a much better year than almost anyone expected you're certainly free to but it's not a universal truth.
-Mark Twain

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2017, 08:44:56 AM »
There's not one guy on that team that would look back on this season as a success if they fall short here.

I don't care all that much how the guys on the team see the season but to the extent I do, I'm not sure them being frustrated by the end is all that worse than them looking back on it as a success. So long as it drives them to come back next year and work harder, failure can be a motivating factor.

It doesn't matter that they overachieved all season, accumulated way more points than anyone expected. 

Well, that's just not true. Those things matter to me. They impact how I'll see the season and how I'll feel going forward. If you want to stew and explode about a team having a much better year than almost anyone expected you're certainly free to but it's not a universal truth.

Until a group of players proves they can play with pressure it'll hang over their heads.  If they don't make it this year, next year when they're close the same questions will arise, "can you win when it matters most?"  Pressure is the equalizing factor in all sports, those that can perform when the pressure is on are winners, those that can't are the forgotten losers.   I don't want this new core to start out with that loser tag hanging on them.  It's been too good of a season to have it end like this.

Offline Highlander

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2017, 08:54:20 AM »
Both teams played chippie pond hockey, not fun to watch, all structure was out the window and their goalie was better than Freddie for one night. Painful
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2017, 08:54:38 AM »
Until a group of players proves they can play with pressure it'll hang over their heads.  If they don't make it this year, next year when they're close the same questions will arise, "can you win when it matters most?" 

That's only if you buy into the preconceived narrative you're already drawing up. If the Leafs don't win either of their next games will it be because they "choked" or "folded" or will it be because the Leafs are an imperfect team going up against the #2 and #4 teams in the entire NHL and they can't just choose to win a game because they really want to?

Which likewise can be extended backwards. Their last four games of the season will include two second nights of back to backs, they'll play three of the top four teams in the entire league and will play no bad teams. None of these games were gimmes. We all knew that they were going to have a tough end to the season and the fact that they went on such a tear over the last few weeks didn't change that.

Next year's team will be different. More experienced and, hopefully, better. Sure, they'll face some difficult questions but that will be true no matter how their season ends. If they win their next two games and then get beat in the playoffs it'll be "Can they win in the playoffs?". If they win the first round but get knocked out in the second then next time they're in the second round of the playoffs it'll be "Can they win in the second?". All teams can't win until they do.
-Mark Twain

Offline Zee

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2017, 08:57:19 AM »
Until a group of players proves they can play with pressure it'll hang over their heads.  If they don't make it this year, next year when they're close the same questions will arise, "can you win when it matters most?" 

That's only if you buy into the preconceived narrative you're already drawing up. If the Leafs don't win either of their next games will it be because they "choked" or "folded" or will it be because the Leafs are an imperfect team going up against the #2 and #4 teams in the entire NHL and they can't just choose to win a game because they really want to?

Which likewise can be extended backwards. Their last four games of the season will include two second nights of back to backs, they'll play three of the top four teams in the entire league and will play no bad teams. None of these games were gimmes. We all knew that they were going to have a tough end to the season and the fact that they went on such a tear over the last few weeks didn't change that.

Next year's team will be different. More experienced and, hopefully, better. Sure, they'll face some difficult questions but that will be true no matter how their season ends. If they win their next two games and then get beat in the playoffs it'll be "Can they win in the playoffs?". If they win the first round but get knocked out in the second then next time they're in the second round of the playoffs it'll be "Can they win in the second?". All teams can't win until they do.

If you can't even agree that this would be a total collapse I don't know what to say to you.  Sure the Washington game was a tough back to back, but last night was a loss against a quasi AHL team, and on Sunday, Columbus will also be on a back to back, and have nothing to play for.   If the Leafs can't get 2 points this weekend, it's a huge failure.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »
Sure the Washington game was a tough back to back, but last night was a loss against a quasi AHL team, and on Sunday, Columbus will also be on a back to back, and have nothing to play for.

That's just not true about last night's Lightning team. They had Kucherov, who's 6th in the league in scoring. They had Hedman, who'll be a Norris finalist. They had Drouin and Palat and Stralman. They had their #1 goalie. The difference between the Lightning and an AHL team isn't Cedric Paquette and Tyler Johnson.

And sure, Columbus and Pittsburgh don't have much to play for but we don't know how that will affect their strategy going into the weekend. Not everyone likes to take their foot off the pedal. They may go all out all the same. To pre-emptively say the Leafs should beat them is nonsense. They're very good teams. If they decide to show up the Leafs will be in tough and that would be true no matter where the Leafs were in the standings.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2017, 09:10:03 AM »