Author Topic: William Nylander  (Read 35304 times)

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
Re: William Nylander
« Reply #465 on: August 15, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #465 on: August 15, 2019, 12:21:24 PM »

Online Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 15, 2019, 12:32:36 PM »
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • Wheel!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 15, 2019, 03:59:30 PM »
I think he's going to be amazing this year. Beware the player with talent, a chip on his shoulder, and a full training camp.

And for yahoo pick'em poolies, he'll likely be ranked low based upon his half-year. If it works out, I'll be picking him up on every team I draft.

Online princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 15, 2019, 04:53:22 PM »
I swear this isnt me, but hes doing exactly what Id be doing if I bothered learning how to clip videos.

Even when he was garbage, Nylander was productive and could have easily been even moreso.

I very much enjoyed the videos, but when NHL shooting percentages hover around 10%, I think you could probably compile a list of missed chances for players much worse than Nylander ...

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 27, 2019, 08:24:42 AM »

*disables notifications*

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 27, 2019, 08:45:52 AM »
$7M Nylander outscoring $10+M Marner this coming season is going to be a sight to behold.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 27, 2019, 09:00:53 AM »
$7M Nylander outscoring $10+M Marner this coming season is going to be a sight to behold.

$6.96M*. Dubas forced him to tank a season to get it under 7 don't start rounding up now.

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 27, 2019, 10:07:46 AM »
In all seriousness, I really don't know what to expect. I feel like Nylander is going to have a monster year, but I agree with the commentator that 70 (or even 60) even-strength points will be a pretty tough mark to hit. I actually didn't realize Marner had that many EV points.

Having both Marner and Nylander in the 70-90 point range will be pretty great as we'd most likely have four forwards hit that mark.

On top of that, I can see both Barrie and Rielly hitting 60 points. considering this was supposed to be a crappy year due to Salary Capmageddon, things are looking pretty promising.

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 27, 2019, 10:17:45 AM »
Like the rest of his team, Nylander has lots of potential but hasn't proven much of anything yet.  But pundits gotta pundit.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 27, 2019, 10:36:28 AM »
Like the rest of his team, Nylander has lots of potential but hasn't proven much of anything yet.  But pundits gotta pundit.

It's weird because this is just sports-radio sort of talk. Most of these guys have proven stuff. If you want to say that what they've proven doesn't count because they haven't won a playoff series, say so but that's more or less just the same stuff we heard all of those years with Sundin and crew. Discounting what we've seen these guys do over 240 games because ONLY WINNING IN THE PLAYOFFS MATTERS AND YOU HAVE TO BE A REAL GUD PRO LIKE VINCE LOMBARDI SAID TO WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS doesn't really further the discourse.
-Karl Marx

Online Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: August 27, 2019, 11:24:09 AM »

It's weird because this is just sports-radio sort of talk. Most of these guys have proven stuff. If you want to say that what they've proven doesn't count because they haven't won a playoff series, say so but that's more or less just the same stuff we heard all of those years with Sundin and crew. Discounting what we've seen these guys do over 240 games because ONLY WINNING IN THE PLAYOFFS MATTERS AND YOU HAVE TO BE A REAL GUD PRO LIKE VINCE LOMBARDI SAID TO WIN IN THE PLAYOFFS doesn't really further the discourse.

All-caps strawmanning?  You don't need to signal me, it's your M.O., everyone knows it's your M.O., and doing it ad nauseum is, in truth, the thing that doesn't further the discourse.

If any others care, note that I said "much of anything," which is not, emphatically, nothing as Nik screamingly tried to imply.

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 27, 2019, 11:36:18 AM »
All-caps strawmanning?

No, mockery. I'm intentionally likening you to the sort of sports-radio caller who would do the whole "COUNT THE RINGS" thing. To engage in strawmanning I'd first have to, you know, take you seriously.

If any others care, note that I said "much of anything," which is not, emphatically, nothing as Nik screamingly tried to imply.

And, again, if you want to say that what they've proven does not indicate that they will perform at the level being predicted, say that. Although the painfully obvious reply there is "Well, yes, that's why it's a prediction" but at least then you'd be engaging with the core concept.

Seriously, it's "Based on what they've done, how many points do you think William Nylander might score this year" is just such a delicate, inoffensive concept in off-season talk to reply like that is just laughable, hence, you know, the mockery.
-Karl Marx

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: August 27, 2019, 11:36:29 AM »
In 2017-18, William Nylander scored 49 even strength points, which outproduced everyone's all-situations productions save for: Marner, Matthews, Nylander (of course), Kadri, JvR, Rielly, Gardiner.

Matthews had 50 even strength points in this injury shortened season; Marner had 42.

via Hockey-Reference

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 27, 2019, 04:24:14 PM »

This too proves nothing.

Offline Bender

• All Star
  • Bender cracked corn and he is great!
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: August 28, 2019, 12:01:48 PM »

This too proves nothing.

Don't you know? Nylander is trash and because he had a down year last year all future years of his contract are trash too because one year's performance is the only indicator for all performances thereafter. DUH!
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #479 on: August 28, 2019, 12:01:48 PM »