Author Topic: John Tavares is a Maple Leaf  (Read 14585 times)

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: John Tavares is a Maple Leaf
« Reply #465 on: October 12, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »
Nine seconds into it Johnny Toronto in his office between the legs to Awesome Matthews. Red Light.
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #465 on: October 12, 2018, 02:52:05 PM »

Offline Matthew-

• Prospect
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 15, 2018, 03:00:13 AM »
I haven't been active here on tmlfans since probably the 07-08 season.   Had to remake my account because I had completely forgotten all my information.    Reading through this entire thread,  I feel all the feels! all of them!

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 15, 2018, 03:37:06 AM »
I haven't been active here on tmlfans since probably the 07-08 season.   Had to remake my account because I had completely forgotten all my information.    Reading through this entire thread,  I feel all the feels! all of them!

That's great and welcome back!  :)

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 15, 2018, 01:40:29 PM »

Welcome back. We're... having fun.
"I'm here for (5) more years. Then I'm gonna stay for two more because we'll be really good." - Coach Mike Babcock

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 15, 2018, 02:39:04 PM »
Welcome Back
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 19, 2018, 02:34:41 PM »
Tavares: can do this cuz John Tavares.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 19, 2018, 05:53:04 PM »
Sick move for sure.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: November 05, 2018, 02:02:01 PM »
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/john-tavares-toronto-marlies-dynasty-profile/

Naylor had a clearer view from the bench and doesn’t fall back on the clichés about character and the like — excellence is the residue of hard work, etc. “John had a great work ethic but I’ve seen that with a lot of kids over the years,” he says. “Other things, though, made him unique. He had an ability to get to the net, through traffic, that was probably something that carried over from playing lacrosse. He always had great ability to anticipate the play. Every game there’d be at least a couple of times when I’d wonder how he got so wide open for a scoring chance. You see that with [Alexander] Ovechkin and it really jumps out, that type of hockey sense. It’s rare [even] with stars in the NHL but John had that at age 12. That’s not stuff that comes with hard work. That’s just vision and awareness and the ability to process the game so much faster than everyone else.”

Also of note, a lot of Tavares' off-ice time was spent on Sam Gagner's backyard rink, which was only large enough for 3-on-3, i.e. consider Auston Matthews' development on half-sheets in Arizona where he had to learn to battle for his space and handle the puck in traffic. Tavares and Matthews are the types of centres that can score from just about anywhere in nearly any conceivable fashion, and usually do it right in the eye of the chaos on top of the crease.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:06:46 PM by herman »

Offline disco

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 11, 2019, 01:39:38 PM »
"Yeah... imma just tip this, sweep this and backhand this."

Johnny Toronto on pace to surpass Vaive/Andreychuk/Leeman.
Mitchy's hockey IQ/passing/terrorizing simply yuge part of it :)
And props to Hymie's digging, it's just a superb line.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 01:53:58 PM by disco »

Online cabber24

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 11, 2019, 02:02:55 PM »
I agree with Jeff Blair... that's why I was recommending possibly breaking up the duo to spread the wealth around a bit since no one else is going right now.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 11, 2019, 02:31:14 PM »
I think more than his current line mates, this is the first time in John's career where his line isn't the only line that can be dominant. For his entire career that game plan was simple, top unit shut down Tavares.

With the Leafs this year, you have to make a choice, go after Matthews line or Tavares line. I think that makes a difference as well.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 11, 2019, 05:08:44 PM »
I think more than his current line mates, this is the first time in John's career where his line isn't the only line that can be dominant. For his entire career that game plan was simple, top unit shut down Tavares.

With the Leafs this year, you have to make a choice, go after Matthews line or Tavares line. I think that makes a difference as well.

Agreed. I don't agree with Blair. This isn't just the Marner show. JT and Marner are helping each other reach these numbers. JT creates a lot of space for Mitch because he's a threat on his own. I said it before, anyone here think Marner gets these numbers with Marleau and Kadri? Not a chance.
Now add in Matthews who does still gets a heavy dose of the other teams #1 and it all helps. Don't take it wrong, I'm not saying anything negative about Marner but it's far from what Blair and some in the media suggest.

Offline Frycer14

• Rookie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 12, 2019, 10:27:03 AM »
It would be interesting to see where the leafs would be in the standings if JT hadn't signed.

Online Guilt Trip

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 12, 2019, 01:12:24 PM »
It would be interesting to see where the leafs would be in the standings if JT hadn't signed.
It certainly would. I'm betting a lot further down the standings considering we were missing Nylander and Matthews for significant time together. We may be outside the playoffs right now. I don't think people are giving him the credit he deserves and the impact he's had on this team.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #478 on: January 12, 2019, 01:12:24 PM »