Author Topic: Ranking Prospects Post-Matthews  (Read 42529 times)

Offline TBLeafer

• Veteran
  • One with the Shanaplan!
    • View Profile
Re: Ranking Prospects Post-Matthews
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2016, 11:03:32 AM »
Thank god your here Herman you are keeping this board alive thru the dog days.

Thank the board for giving me the appearance of being occupied during work =)

Ain't it the truth.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2016, 11:03:32 AM »

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2016, 01:57:55 PM »
I am sure your productivity has not dropped since you joined us. LOL
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 26, 2016, 09:03:32 AM »
PPP: 11. Kerby Rychel
TLN: 6. Connor Brown
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 09:28:25 AM by herman »

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 26, 2016, 09:44:51 AM »
To my eye test, I really liked Brown's game this past spring in those few games that he played with the big club.

If I recall correctly, Babcock was speaking very highly of him as well.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 26, 2016, 09:47:52 AM »
To my eye test, I really liked Brown's game this past spring in those few games that he played with the big club.

Brown is faster than I expected! I remember the knock against him early on was his skating, but he usually overcame it with sheer determination to get into the right spot to make smart plays.

Offline WhatIfGodWasALeaf

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 26, 2016, 10:02:18 AM »

Brown is faster than I expected! I remember the knock against him early on was his skating, but he usually overcame it with sheer determination to get into the right spot to make smart plays.

Smart plays is correct, he has great positional awareness, it makes him an excellent PK guy too.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 26, 2016, 01:15:28 PM »
I still don't really know what to think of Rychel yet. He is not expansion draft exempt either.

Does he have the 'drive-train' to play the power forward game? He's got hands for sure, but the wheels are just climbing towards average. Is he a slightly slower, more offensive-minded Tobias Lindberg?

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 26, 2016, 03:18:58 PM »
I remember being really turned off when I watched him skate last year, personally I don't have a lot of hope for him past maybe depth at some point, even then.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2016, 09:25:27 AM »
PPP: 10. Nikita Soshnikov
TLN: 5. Kasperi Kapanen

I heart Soshnikov, who fills the gap left when Kulemin was shown the door. He's not as sturdy or defensive as Kulemin, but Soshnikov plays a pretty similar game, which I have dubbed: heavy Russian. High skill and puck possession + wrecking ball mentality.

Kapanen seems to have that clutch factor. He occasionally plays invisible, but when your team needs that one goal to knot up the game, or that one goal to claim the prize, he's the one buzzing the net to pounce opportunistically on any puck.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:16:32 AM by herman »

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »
I still don't really know what to think of Rychel yet. He is not expansion draft exempt either.

Does he have the 'drive-train' to play the power forward game? He's got hands for sure, but the wheels are just climbing towards average. Is he a slightly slower, more offensive-minded Tobias Lindberg?

Kerby Rychel too me is going to be Carter Ashton 2.0.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline Potvin29

• Sittler Status
  • Auston 20:16
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2016, 01:26:56 PM »
Corey Pronman ranked all of the teams' based on their prospects, the Leafs were #1 with this write-up.  It's an Insider article so I won't reproduce anything more from it:

1) Toronto Maple Leafs Previous rank: 2 

Toronto has the best farm system in the NHL and it isn't close. Based on my prospect definitions, there are zero reasonable arguments for anyone to even be in the same conversation. Not only do they have a ton of elite talent in players like Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and William Nylander, but their depth is elite too. There are at least 20 prospects in this system that would fit in many other teams' top 10.

Actually had this ready to go 2 hours ago but passed out after reading that.

Offline Frank E

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2016, 02:13:35 PM »
Corey Pronman ranked all of the teams' based on their prospects, the Leafs were #1 with this write-up.  It's an Insider article so I won't reproduce anything more from it:

Toronto has the best farm system in the NHL and it isn't close. Based on my prospect definitions, there are zero reasonable arguments for anyone to even be in the same conversation. Not only do they have a ton of elite talent in players like Auston Matthews, Mitch Marner and William Nylander, but their depth is elite too. There are at least 20 prospects in this system that would fit in many other teams' top 10.

So, this is as good as it gets?

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2016, 02:32:23 PM »

What a difference a few years makes! It wasn't that long ago that, in spite of the Leafs having been awful, the prospect depth was ordinary at best.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Offline Misty

• Prospect
  • Thanks dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2016, 02:49:33 PM »

What a difference a few years makes! It wasn't that long ago that, in spite of the Leafs having been awful, the prospect depth was ordinary at best.

With their recent acquisitions, I would think Arizona would have to be in the conversation for top ranked prospect pool...

Offline McGarnagle

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2016, 02:52:31 PM »
I heart Soshnikov, who fills the gap left when Kulemin was shown the door. He's not as sturdy or defensive as Kulemin, but Soshnikov plays a pretty similar game, which I have dubbed: heavy Russian. High skill and puck possession + wrecking ball mentality.

I like shoshnikov as well, but I don't see all that much in common with Kulemin, apart from being russian. Kulemin didn't go out of his way to make big hits, nor agitate, and really didn't have much flash to his game. I see a much closer comparable to uncle leo, but with more tools on the offensive side than the defensive.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2016, 02:52:31 PM »