Author Topic: Potential New Jays President  (Read 3122 times)

Offline L K

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Potential New Jays President
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 05:24:59 PM »
Honestly, that doesn't keep me up at night. People are handing him an awful lot of kudos based on...what?

Simmons said something recently like if AA became a free agent he'd have a Babcock-like offseason. Which is pretty much insane. Haven't people been calling for his head for like 5 years now?

If you really run down his moves its a very mixed bag.  We have up a lot at the deadline but that's what happens with deadline deals.  The Wells and Donaldson trades look like wins for the Jays.  The Marlins trade is a mixed bag.  The Dickey trade looks bad as we could easily have D'Arnaud as our catcher and Syndergaard would arguably be at the front of the rotation right now (behind Price).

The last few years AA has overused the waiver wire with add/drops constantly that just seemed like pointless moves.  He's also added some guys that have had good years of not overused in guys like Colabello and last year with Francisco. 

Some success right now seems to be creating this notion that he's been great but until the deadline deals this was yet another .500 blue jays team.

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 05:32:01 PM »

I don't know that there's any one thing that AA does particularly well or poorly. His whole tenure seems to be a pretty mixed bag. The Donaldson trade looks great, the Dickey one looks terrible. The Bautista/EE contracts were great, he hasn't been able to do much on the free agent market. The farm system has done ok.

So I don't see him as being ideally suited to another job, just being middling at this one.

I thought that he had a real ingenuity with contracts. He was able to re-sign quality players (EE, Bautista, Dickey) at great value and he was able to add in team options at the end for a little insurance. He's never really been burdened by a contract he's signed (though that Martin one looks like it could do some damage). I also thought he made some creative acquisitions early on to secure draft picks via the compensation rules. I definitely agree that he is middling (at best) but the few positives I see seem to suggest that he might be better off on the business or assistant side of things.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 05:50:22 PM »
I definitely agree that he is middling (at best) but the few positives I see seem to suggest that he might be better off on the business or assistant side of things.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. One of the major components of being a GM is negotiating contracts. That's not something AGM's do.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Offline Andy

• Veteran
  • TMLfans Newbie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 07:33:34 PM »
I definitely agree that he is middling (at best) but the few positives I see seem to suggest that he might be better off on the business or assistant side of things.

That doesn't make a lot of sense. One of the major components of being a GM is negotiating contracts. That's not something AGM's do.

AA did a number of contracts and signings when he was an AGM under Ricciardi.

Offline Captain Canuck

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 07:49:10 PM »
I honestly think the Jays take another shot at Kenny Williams. Reinsdorf refused to let the Jays interview him last off-season, but things may be different now with the White Sox missing the playoffs again.

Offline hockeyfan1

• All Star
  • #TorontoStrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 05:38:45 AM »
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 05:44:18 AM by hockeyfan1 »

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2015, 05:38:45 AM »