Author Topic: The Official TV Thread  (Read 130563 times)

Offline TML fan

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: The Official TV Thread
« Reply #1425 on: December 03, 2017, 05:38:51 PM »
Just finished re watching the first half season of Star Trek Discovery.

I still like it. It has potential. The writing is not very good. Neither is the acting, but I am wondering if that is a byproduct of the writing. The editing is also poor in some spots leading to weird transitions where it seems like you missed a part of the episode. I found it easy to ignore the fanboy complaints about the visuals and the seeming lack of continuity. It just doesn't matter that much to me.

It's getting a second season, but if they want it to go beyond that they are really going to have to improve the writing. Also, the show has like 15 executive producers which doesn't seem normal.

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1425 on: December 03, 2017, 05:38:51 PM »

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
  • Some Guy On a Message Board
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: December 06, 2017, 05:56:01 PM »
It's getting a second season, but if they want it to go beyond that they are really going to have to improve the writing. Also, the show has like 15 executive producers which doesn't seem normal.

Executive Producer is a pretty meaningless title. Stan Lee gets credited as Executive Producer on all the Marvel movies and I'm pretty sure he just shows up for his cameos.
Give a man the reputation of an early riser and he can sleep 'til noon
-Mark Twain

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: December 16, 2017, 01:18:48 PM »
Just finished Manhunt: Unabomber on Netflix. Really enjoyed it. Paul Bettany was great as Kaczynski.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: January 29, 2018, 01:53:23 PM »
So I tried Black Mirror last year and couldn't get through half of it, it was so bleak, save for San Junipero (which was awesome).

I tried Season 4 this week, and the first episode nailed it with a immensely well-timed story for such a time as this. It aced the bleak techno-dystopia elements of unfettered technology taking over lives, but with a hopeful twist that really leaned into its motif for the episode. Cristin Milioti is a delight.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: January 29, 2018, 01:58:50 PM »

I'm a fan of the bleaker ones as well but I agree that the changes of pace have been good for the show as a whole. I liked Hang the DJ more than the season opener this year but they were both good.
-Mark Twain

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: January 29, 2018, 02:49:17 PM »

I'm a fan of the bleaker ones as well but I agree that the changes of pace have been good for the show as a whole. I liked Hang the DJ more than the season opener this year but they were both good.

I'm slogging through Arkangel, but it looks like it'll be a chore. Were there any you'd recommend from S3? I liked the Bryce Dallas Howard episode (S03E01?), and the aforementioned San Junipero.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: January 29, 2018, 02:52:52 PM »

I'm slogging through Arkangel, but it looks like it'll be a chore. Were there any you'd recommend from S3? I liked the Bryce Dallas Howard episode (S03E01?), and the aforementioned San Junipero.

Nothing jumps out at me. I think there are interesting things going on in the ones after San Junipero but they're a bit of a drag.
-Mark Twain

Online Bullfrog

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: January 29, 2018, 03:58:20 PM »

Those two were my favourite, though I haven't finished that season yet.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: February 26, 2018, 12:27:15 AM »
So Altered Carbon is pretty fantastic.

Offline Significantly Insignificant

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: February 26, 2018, 01:29:43 PM »

Yeah, great show.  I really enjoyed it.
"Progress lies not in enhancing what is, but in advancing toward what will be. - Khalil Gibran

Offline OldTimeHockey

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: February 26, 2018, 03:28:18 PM »

I was wondering about that one. That's great to hear.

Online herman

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: February 26, 2018, 04:18:51 PM »

I was wondering about that one. That's great to hear.

Some caveats: the dialog is a bit hamfisted at times.

The visuals are gorgeous and there is a pretty healthy amount of nudity (romantic and clinical, if that distinction matters).

If you liked any of the following, you should be pretty pleased with this: Blade Runner, Battlestar Galactica (reboot), Dollhouse, Black Mirror, noir/detective movies/shows, some Avatar.

Doesn't delve as deeply into the identity themes and politics that I would like, but I'm pretty sure others would find that level too tedious.

Dichen Lachman and Tahmoh Penikett reunited warms my heart. I wish they got Enver Gjokaj and Reed Diamond too.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: February 27, 2018, 09:44:03 AM »

On a very different end of the spectrum I've really been enjoying The Chi. It's very clearly going for the feel of David Simon's shows but it's the first one in a long time that I think got the jist of what his shows were about and it has an on the ground authenticity his didn't always have.
-Mark Twain

Online CarltonTheBear

• Global Moderator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: February 27, 2018, 09:47:10 AM »

On a very different end of the spectrum I've really been enjoying The Chi. It's very clearly going for the feel of David Simon's shows but it's the first one in a long time that I think got the jist of what his shows were about and it has an on the ground authenticity his didn't always have.

You brought it up the other day and I meant to ask what you thought of it. AVClub's been giving it really good reviews. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Offline Nik the Trik

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: February 27, 2018, 09:52:05 AM »
You brought it up the other day and I meant to ask what you thought of it. AVClub's been giving it really good reviews. I'll have to check it out sometime.

Yeah, I will say though that it's long on feel and character while short on plot so in that sense it's a lot more like Treme than anything else and Treme, while a favourite of mine, was not for everyone.
-Mark Twain

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #1439 on: February 27, 2018, 09:52:05 AM »