Author Topic: Phil Kessel  (Read 5568 times)

Offline lamajama

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Phil Kessel
« on: August 22, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/08/21/can_phil_kessel_step_out_from_shadows_sochi_games_should_be_rainbow_olympics_cox.html

Cox speculates Phil wants to stay and the deal is in the 8 years $70 mil range.

Yeah I'd want to stay too for that dough.
I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was blaming you.

TMLfans.ca

Phil Kessel
« on: August 22, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »

Offline Bullfrog

• All Star
    • View Profile
Re: Phil Kessel
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2013, 08:29:37 AM »
Wow, that's a massive contract.

Online Zee

• Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2013, 08:38:29 AM »
Huge contract but that's the NHL, you have to lock up your own stars, and Phil definitely fits that category.

Offline Corn Flake

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2013, 10:07:02 AM »
I would suggest if it's really going to be that high (I don't thin it will be) or even above $7 mil that the Leafs need to get Phaneuf locked up first.  I don't think Dion is getting a rasie at all but will get term instead.

Offline Tigger

• All Star
  • You can play
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2013, 12:21:58 PM »
He'll likely get over 8 per on an 8 year contract, close enough to 70 overall for me and at this point the Leafs kind of have to give it to him.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Offline Nik Bethune

• Sittler Status
  • All posts approved by CCP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2013, 12:24:35 PM »
http://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2013/08/21/can_phil_kessel_step_out_from_shadows_sochi_games_should_be_rainbow_olympics_cox.html

Cox speculates Phil wants to stay and the deal is in the 8 years $70 mil range.

Yeah I'd want to stay too for that dough.

Considering the bigger deals that were signed this year by Perry and Giroux and the way the cap is probably going to grow..yeah, that seems about right. I think anyone who really thought Kessel was going to sign at a deep discount needs to remember how he came to be a Leaf in the first place.
Nothing can have value without being an object of utility
-Karl Marx

Offline oakl0008

• Marlie
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 06:51:58 PM »
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/johnston-kessel-has-no-room-for-distractions/#community

The winger watched good friend Tyler Bozak go through a contract year last season and knows how stressful it can be. Speaking generally, he noted that most players who hit the open market – as Bozak did – end up signing elsewhere.

“When you get to that point, a lot of guys don’t stay,” said Kessel. “If you look throughout the league I don’t think that that happens (very often).”

Offline princedpw

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 08:21:57 PM »
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/johnston-kessel-has-no-room-for-distractions/#community

The winger watched good friend Tyler Bozak go through a contract year last season and knows how stressful it can be. Speaking generally, he noted that most players who hit the open market – as Bozak did – end up signing elsewhere.

“When you get to that point, a lot of guys don’t stay,” said Kessel. “If you look throughout the league I don’t think that that happens (very often).”

Well, I don't like the sound of that too much.  If Kessel doesn't want to negotiate during the season, that's fair.  I'd sign him before the season starts.  If he isn't willing to sign for his fair market price (which would be in the $8 million range), it must mean he wants to leave so I guess I'd trade him at the deadline.  And I'd try to trade Bozak and Clarkson too (but that might not be possible).  Clear the decks.  Start the rebuild.  Not resigning Kessel is certainly a fabulous way to make the Kessel-Seguin trade look as bad as it could possibly be.

Offline Highlander

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2013, 09:01:54 PM »
Prince, this is posturing...lets trade the second highest point getting winger next to Martin St.Louis in the last two years and our newly aquired power forward David Clarkson...and start the rebuild..thought that was over and this was the rebuild..duh
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children"
                                           Navaho Proverb

Offline axman15

• Prospect
  • TMLfans Rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 09:11:35 PM »
If I were the Leafs, I'd offer him something like 8 years/60 million; which is about 7.5 per year. Even though he can be streaky, he is our best offensive player.

Offline drummond

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2013, 03:15:18 AM »
If I were the Leafs, I'd offer him something like 8 years/60 million; which is about 7.5 per year. Even though he can be streaky, he is our best offensive player.

Sounds good to me

Offline Dappleganger

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2013, 03:17:55 AM »

Not only is he our best offensive player, he's one of the best offensive players in the league.

7.5m per is fine.

Offline CarltonTheBear

• Administrator
  • Sittler Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2013, 07:46:12 AM »
I'd be shocked if he signed for anything under $8mil. I say offer him 8 years at $8.1mil (since that seems to be the style these days).

Offline Sarge

• All Star
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2013, 09:54:54 AM »
I'm confused. What makes Kessel a more valuable player than say, Patrice Bergeron who signed for 6.5 mil X 8? Everyone says centers are worth more too.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:05:45 AM by Dr. Bobby Leafer »

Offline bustaheims

• Sittler Status
  • 56!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »
I'm confused. Why makes Kessel a more valuable player than say, Patrice Bergeron who signed for 6.5 mil X 8? Everyone says centers are worth more too.

Because of the massive difference in offensive production between the two. Over the past 2 seasons, Bergeron has 32 goals and 96 points. Kessel has 57 goals and 134 points.

Bergeron's a very good player, but, over the last couple seasons, Kessel has been one of the top 10 offensive threats in the league.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

TMLfans.ca

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2013, 10:06:00 AM »