Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Luongo

Started by slapshot, May 30, 2012, 05:37:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sneakyray

what can happen is luongo could go to a team that is struggling to make the cap floor as a back up goalie in the last 2 years of his deal where he is only making 1 mil per but has a cap hit of 5.3

it would be my hope this could happen with florida if he gets traded here.

princedpw

Quote from: Justin on January 13, 2013, 04:12:06 AM
The best line from Burke's TSN interview:

"If you're going to add a goaltender...with a year coming into a CBA you'd have to evaluate what the new rules might look like to make a deal. In the absence of that knowledge, in my opinion, would be negligent to the franchise. I didn't do anything here that wasn't long-term thinking...To me, to make that trade...would be negligent."

And Burke is 1 billion percent right on that one.  Vancouver would have had to have given the leafs an enormous incentive for it to make any sense for the Leafs to take on such a risk as opposed to letting Vancouver take the risk.

Tigger

Just to chime in, I wouldn't consider including Gardiner in a deal for Luongo, Schneider maybe but that just seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face otherwise.

I mean, unless they're sending someone young-ish and valuable with Luongo, not a chance.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

Justin

I can see Luongo ending up in Columbus. They need a goalie and something to get their fans somewhat excited again. Luongo would also probably do better in a smaller marker. It actually makes a lot of sense.

Stumpy

Quote from: Justin on January 14, 2013, 03:41:04 PM
I can see Luongo ending up in Columbus. They need a goalie and something to get their fans somewhat excited again. Luongo would also probably do better in a smaller marker. It actually makes a lot of sense.

I can't imagine Columbus is in the mix after they gave up three draft picks (2nd, 3rd, 4th, if I recall correctly) over the summer for Bobrovsky. Steep price for a backup.

Justin

Quote from: Stumpy on January 14, 2013, 03:55:39 PM
Quote from: Justin on January 14, 2013, 03:41:04 PM
I can't imagine Columbus is in the mix after they gave up three draft picks (2nd, 3rd, 4th, if I recall correctly) over the summer for Bobrovsky. Steep price for a backup.
That's true, I forgot about Bobrovsky. Still, Columbus could always ship Bob on the way back to Vancouver in a Luongo deal. I'd think Gillis wants a better backup for Schneider than Eddie "no NHL experience" Lack.

Potvin29

QuoteLuongo: "I'm willing to stay here this season because it will be short. But I don't want to stay here long term." via @RenLavoieRDS

ThatLeafsFan

I'm going to laugh if when Luongo gets traded, Schneider falters and isn't what they think he will be, when the pressure is on him. He did well with the Moose, but come playoff time, when the pressure was really on him, he wasn't that impressive...

Potvin29

So basically if Luongo retires early, regardless of if he gets traded or not, Vancouver gets screwed right?

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/1/9/3854426/luongo-and-the-new-cbas-luongo-rule

BlueWhiteBlood

Quote from: Potvin29 on January 14, 2013, 06:01:29 PM
So basically if Luongo retires early, regardless of if he gets traded or not, Vancouver gets screwed right?

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/1/9/3854426/luongo-and-the-new-cbas-luongo-rule

Yes, this is the article I posted yesterday I think. I didn't understand it that well, but I came to the same conclusions you do. Vancouver gets hosed on the deal, but you know, Gillis might keep him, he doesn't mind.
BWB

Potvin29

Quote from: BlueWhiteBlood on January 14, 2013, 06:31:00 PM
Quote from: Potvin29 on January 14, 2013, 06:01:29 PM

Yes, this is the article I posted yesterday I think. I didn't understand it that well, but I came to the same conclusions you do. Vancouver gets hosed on the deal, but you know, Gillis might keep him, he doesn't mind.

Ahh apologies, should have read back further.  Still getting used to the board being really active again!

BlueWhiteBlood

Quote from: Potvin29 on January 14, 2013, 06:34:20 PM
Ahh apologies, should have read back further.  Still getting used to the board being really active again!

No worries, looks like there is some good research there.
BWB

RedLeaf

Vancouver is running into injury problems now, and if anyone else goes down Gillis might come crawling back to Nonis and beg him to make whatever deal he sees fit to make. 8)
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Zee

I'd rather Nonis go another route at this moment.  Be it Bernier or sticking with our own unproven goalies, let Vancouver sweat it out.  Hopefully it blows up in their faces.

RedLeaf

Quote from: Zee on January 16, 2013, 04:04:00 AM
I'd rather Nonis go another route at this moment.  Be it Bernier or sticking with our own unproven goalies, let Vancouver sweat it out.  Hopefully it blows up in their faces.

Yeah. I don't know. I still see a glaring need for a veteran presence in net on this team. The pair they have now just feels like a melt down waiting to happen. *hope I'm wrong*
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.