Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2012 Toronto Blue Jays Thread

Started by Darryl, March 05, 2012, 11:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender

Quote from: bustaheims on March 28, 2012, 02:18:16 PM
Jays look like they'll probably win the Grapefruit league title, which unfortunately could be the high point of their season.

Is there anything wrong with dominating pre-season?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Nik

Quote from: Bender on March 28, 2012, 02:19:09 PM
Jays look like they'll probably win the Grapefruit league title, which unfortunately could be the high point of their season.

It gives people misleading expectations?
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

bustaheims

As long as you don't attach any meaning to it, no.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Trolloc

Quote from: Saint Nik on March 28, 2012, 02:22:29 PM

Sending memo to Jays: Lost every game in your preseason next year so the fans have no expectations.

Andy

Quote from: Trolloc on March 29, 2012, 06:25:53 AM
Quote from: Saint Nik on March 28, 2012, 02:22:29 PM

Sending memo to Jays: Lost every game in your preseason next year so the fans have no expectations.

Actually those would be misleading expectations as well

Deebo

Gose with 4 stolen bases today, including home to take a 3-2 lead in the top of the 8th.

donkeyy0

Quote from: Deebo on March 29, 2012, 03:12:48 PM
Gose with 4 stolen bases today, including home to take a 3-2 lead in the top of the 8th.

3 in 1 inning. Takes a walk, steals 2nd, steals 3rd, steals home.

Man, he's already got plus speed, plus range, and a plus arm. Wicked D. All he needs to do is slap singles at like .250 and he's gonna be freakin awesome.

donkeyy0

Need 1 person for a free fantasy baseball league. Whole bunch of newbies. Just need someone to get to an even number.

Lemme know if anybody is interested.

Draft will be early Saturday afternoon.

Nik

It didn't get mentioned but it looks like Vizquel is actually going to make the team. A good move, I think. We got rid of a guy who had the same name as our first Prime Minister but replaced him with someone who actually voted for him.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

L K

Quote from: Saint Nik on March 30, 2012, 10:03:27 AM

It didn't get mentioned but it looks like Vizquel is actually going to make the team. A good move, I think. We got rid of a guy who had the same name as our first Prime Minister but replaced him with someone who actually voted for him.

I actually like the move.  One he is hitting well right now so it isn't like they just handed him a position.  He's still a strong defensive player and I think every team needs a few veterans to help younger players (hint hint Brian Burke).  Also it isn't like he beat out anyone good in Luis Valbuena and Mike McCoy.

bustaheims

Quote from: Saint Nik on March 30, 2012, 10:03:27 AM

It's always nice to have a Civil War vet on the squad.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Nik

Quote from: L K on March 30, 2012, 10:32:26 AM
I actually like the move.  One he is hitting well right now so it isn't like they just handed him a position.  He's still a strong defensive player and I think every team needs a few veterans to help younger players (hint hint Brian Burke).  Also it isn't like he beat out anyone good in Luis Valbuena and Mike McCoy.

His defensive metrics haven't been great the last two years and while some of that may be that he was playing more 3B than usual it's not like the idea of a guy his age slowing down would knock my socks off.

That said, he's a utility infielder and it's not a big deal either way.
- Vince Lombardi

bustaheims

Well, with Jamie Moyer cracking the Rockies' rotation, Viquel won't be the oldest player in MLB this season, just the oldest position player.

Sarge

Thursday can't come soon enough! 3:05pm start and I have the day off. Life is good.