Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Randy Carlyle/Leaf Coach thread

Started by LuncheonMeat, March 03, 2012, 12:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyperfectdevil

yeah ..i think any team's fans could name the coaching thread accordingly ..

Tigger

Quote from: Edeagle on March 04, 2012, 06:18:25 PM
shaky start .. strong finish, same old leafs.. That game could have went either way, we're lucky Montreal is last place. I'll give Carlyle at least 3 more games before I start calling for his head though... hopefully we go on a crazy win streak!

3 games? You're way to generous.
"My father was born shortly after the Wright Brothers" Charlie Duke

crazyperfectdevil

Quote from: Tigger on March 04, 2012, 07:03:23 PM
Quote from: Edeagle on March 04, 2012, 06:18:25 PM
shaky start .. strong finish, same old leafs.. That game could have went either way, we're lucky Montreal is last place. I'll give Carlyle at least 3 more games before I start calling for his head though... hopefully we go on a crazy win streak!

3 games? You're way to generous.

especially since the three games are boston, pittsburgh and philly

nutman

aww.... not changed yet... the name is too neg and thats not what we need. if you dont like coach how about "Carlyle"  haveing fire Randy is just too neg.

like the Burke thread it would be a go spot to talk about the coach.

LittleHockeyFan

okay, I changed the last few but I don't have all day to sit here and change the subject line for every post in this thread. If it's so damned important to change it, change it yourself when you're replying. That way, it will reflect that from there forward.

Zee

Hilarious hearing and reading about how Carlyle put the Leafs through a "normal" practice and they were all dead tired and sucking wind at the end. 

"Hey coach, why can't we play dodgeball in practice like we used to, this stuff is hard!"

;D ;D

princedpw

Quote from: Zee on March 05, 2012, 11:03:39 AM
Hilarious hearing and reading about how Carlyle put the Leafs through a "normal" practice and they were all dead tired and sucking wind at the end. 

"Hey coach, why can't we play dodgeball in practice like we used to, this stuff is hard!"

;D ;D

There is also this from the Toronto Star:

But what's far less flattering to Wilson's legacy is that it took all of one game for his successor to pinpoint his team's most fixable weakness. The way Carlyle appears to see it, the Leafs, along with being out of the playoff picture, are also out of shape. It's as indefensible as it's true.

I'm skeptical.  Maurice said it when he arrived.  Wilson said it when he arrived.  And now Carlyle (or the media) are saying it when he arrived.

Every time a new coach arrives, they claim they need the players to get in to better shape.  On the one hand, I'm sure it's true:  the better the players conditioning, the harder and more continuously they can press the attack.  On the other hand, all decent coaches know this and all decent coaches want their team to be in good shape.  It isn't the case that Wilson, whatever faults he might have had, wasn't aware that good conditioning was a helpful component of team success.

Zee

Quote from: princedpw on March 05, 2012, 12:22:26 PM

;D ;D

But what's far less flattering to Wilson's legacy is that it took all of one game for his successor to pinpoint his team's most fixable weakness. The way Carlyle appears to see it, the Leafs, along with being out of the playoff picture, are also out of shape. It's as indefensible as it's true.

I'm skeptical.  Maurice said it when he arrived.  Wilson said it when he arrived.  And now Carlyle (or the media) are saying it when he arrived.

Every time a new coach arrives, they claim they need the players to get in to better shape.  On the one hand, I'm sure it's true:  the better the players conditioning, the harder and more continuously they can press the attack.  On the other hand, all decent coaches know this and all decent coaches want their team to be in good shape.  It isn't the case that Wilson, whatever faults he might have had, wasn't aware that good conditioning was a helpful component of team success.

I seem to recall outsiders (most notably Gary Roberts) commenting on certain player's conditioning programs, most notably Luke Schenn and saying they weren't approaching it correctly for the type of player he is.   It's been around for awhile now and I subscribe to the "where's there's smoke there's probably fire" mentality. 

L K

Quote from: Zee on March 05, 2012, 12:33:19 PM

;D ;D

I seem to recall outsiders (most notably Gary Roberts) commenting on certain player's conditioning programs, most notably Luke Schenn and saying they weren't approaching it correctly for the type of player he is.   It's been around for awhile now and I subscribe to the "where's there's smoke there's probably fire" mentality.

Roberts was also making the comments as a guy who was very clearly pissed off at the Leafs for not handing him/Nieuwendyk 300 million dollar contracts.  It was a biased opinion a little bit where he was taking stabs at the training staff of an organization that kissed his butt until the lockout.

Corn Flake

It seems like Wilson may have been really letting up on the guys, thinking they were tired when in actual fact they weren't as in shape as their opponents due to too much time off.  I can see many coaches letting up at the end either because they think it is what the team needs or to keep the team from tuning them out.  A very repeatable pattern I could see happening from coach to coach.

The Man with a Plan

Quote from: L K on March 05, 2012, 12:43:40 PM
Quote from: Zee on March 05, 2012, 12:33:19 PM

;D ;D

Roberts was also making the comments as a guy who was very clearly pissed off at the Leafs for not handing him/Nieuwendyk 300 million dollar contracts.  It was a biased opinion a little bit where he was taking stabs at the training staff of an organization that kissed his butt until the lockout.

GR also knows how to get into shape and stay there, the players that have gone thru his summer program usually have banner years. I would honestly listen to what he had to say, some would with a grain of salt but just tuning him out because of a age old contract dispute would not be taking the whole picture into account.
"I'd have my ---- out if I scored four goals" Joe Thornton

Boyd Devereaux tried to lose. He was just so horrible when he tried to shoot wide he accidentally score 3 times.

Nik

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on March 04, 2012, 06:49:46 PMIf this is in regards to the thread title, nobody seemed to mind when it was made up for Wilson. It addresses the two opposite opinions a Maple Leafs fan often has of a coach/player/prospect/GM, while being just a little bit funny.

Yeah, when I started the Wilson thread with the name it was just a comment on the way opinions tend to go to one extreme or the other. I liked it and I like it more for Carlyle.

Although nutman complained about that thread title too, chiefly because he didn't even bother to read the second half of it. Personally, I'm inclined to keep this up just to spite him.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

My impression of Roberts is that he's a bit self-serving.  And, when it comes to things fitness, a Knowitallinski.

Zid

Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on March 05, 2012, 01:19:53 PM
My impression of Roberts is that he's a bit self-serving.  And, when it comes to things fitness, a Knowitallinski.

Always thought that he got way too much credit for this Stamkos guy. It's not as if Stamkos was a 5th round draft pick slug that was lost until he met Roberts.

cw

I'm in the skeptical camp.

Wendel swore by Chris Broadhurst
Quinn had the fitness monitoring stuff overhauled.
Matt Nichol, who Quinn brought in, did his thing and still has a NHL following after his departure.
Maurice did his thing on fitness.
Wilson did his thing on fitness.
Somewhere in between, they switched up the fitness monitoring outfit again.

It's been thumped regularly and the monitoring is better than ever.

This is a skating club and for the most part, they've skated pretty darn well this season - it's been one redeeming thing about them. I have trouble reconciling their ability to out skate a lot of NHL teams while being grossly out of shape.

Could they have slipped some during the season - in part, due to the wear and tear? Sure. But I really doubt it's dramatic and purely a case of them slacking off. Wilson had plenty of cause to put them through some tough skates and at times, he did.

To me, this was a marginal team who went into a slump. Wilson didn't suddenly forget how to coach. And for the most part, the fitness folks and players didn't suddenly forget how to maintain the team's fitness. I'd allow their fitness could be off a little but I don't know how one skates as they have much of the season while grossly out of shape. I don't buy that while folks grasp for reasons for why they slumped.