Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Canada's New World Rep?

Started by brothert, February 20, 2012, 09:10:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyperfectdevil

being that none of us are world leading scientists in the fields of anything ..obviously we're going to have to defer to some kind of authority ..... i understand being skeptical ...however it seems in this case that saying global warming isn't happening ..or ..now backing up to saying that it has nothing to do with mankind's influence seems the more self motivated of the two positions.  It seems to violate occum's razor to think that the overwhelming majority of scientists out there that are saying that this is happening ..are really part of some kind of vast conspiracy to further their goals to get more funding for a fake cause .....where as it seems pretty easy to see the motivation behind saying that global warming does not exist .....the latter position seems to match up quite nicely with all of our self interests .... just keep doing what we've been doing and we'll be okay...   

Nik

Quote from: BlueWhiteBlood on February 20, 2012, 01:04:06 PM
I mean, if there was consensus, wouldn't everybody agree...

Consensus does not mean unanimity.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Darryl

Hey who needs to worry about the environment when you can spend billions on jet fighters that might not actually be built and super prisons. I have my fingers crossed a good leader will emerge from one of the other two major parties.

BlueWhiteBlood

Quote from: Saint Nik on February 20, 2012, 04:48:42 PM
Quote from: BlueWhiteBlood on February 20, 2012, 01:04:06 PM
I mean, if there was consensus, wouldn't everybody agree...

Consensus does not mean unanimity.

Yes, thanks, there is supposed to be most in front of that.
BWB

Nik

Quote from: BlueWhiteBlood on February 20, 2012, 05:00:47 PM
Yes, thanks, there is supposed to be most in front of that.

My point wasn't one about using the wrong word but that you're trying to hold up a tiny minority of dissenters as evidence that there isn't a consensus among the scientific community. There is a consensus because most everyone does agree. Finding a handful of people who disagree doesn't contradict that because, again, a consensus does not require unanimity.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Trolloc

Quote from: Darryl on February 20, 2012, 04:49:56 PM
Hey who needs to worry about the environment when you can spend billions on jet fighters that might not actually be built and super prisons. I have my fingers crossed a good leader will emerge from one of the other two major parties.

It is humourous that many reasons people wanted change from the Liberals was because the Conservatives were to be more fiscally responsible. Oddly enough, they're spending as much money (if not more) as the Liberals did. With the harsher setencing the costs of prisons will continue to escalate.

As a graduate of criminology program and having the pleasure to be a student to many police officers, correctional officers and boarder patrol officers...it is clear to me a system like the US (which we have shifted too) has been proven to be extremely costly while having minimal (if any) impact in reducing crime.

hockeyfan1

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/03/02/pol-weston-election-calls.html

CBC News has learned that more than a dozen Conservative MPs employed U.S.-based political telemarketing firms during the last federal election campaign, contrary to Stephen Harper's statement in Parliament this week.

But documents show 14 Conservative campaigns enlisted the telephone services of an Ohio company called Front Porch Strategies.

During the election, the company made thousands of calls into each of those Canadian ridings from its headquarters in Columbus.

Del Mastro (parliamentary secretary and Conservative MP) was already left red-faced earlier this week after he accused the Liberals of using an American telemarketing firm which, in fact, is a Canadian company.

....all the calls from Ohio to Del Mastro's riding during the election were programmed to show the telephone number of his local campaign headquarters, masking the fact the phoning was being done from Ohio.

Front Porch Strategies won all 14 of their races."
If nothing else, the role of Front Porch in the last election offers a rare glimpse into the ties between the Harper Conservatives and right-wing Republican political operatives south of the border.

Front Porch doesn't hide its allegiance to all things conservative.

"Our passion is helping Republican candidates, elected officials, and conservative causes win by personally connecting them with voters and constituents," the company says on its website.

Front Porch Strategies won all 14 of their races

TheMightyOdin

Whatever happened to acid rain?
The Catalyst?

hockeyfan1

Oh Canada!...

http://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/best-place-business-canada-154502953.html

While the United States and swaths of Europe are near bankruptcy, our books, in comparison, look in enviable order. Steady debt reduction, reforms to the tax and pension systems and rigorous financial regulation over the past 15 years enabled Canada to weather the crushing downturn of 2008 better than most of the world.

...have put Canada and our cities at or near the top of places to get an education, establish a business, raise a family and live a long, healthy life.

...Canada is the nation with the top global brand right now. Authorities ranging from Forbes magazine to Justin Bieber have called us the best country on the planet (based on admittedly different criteria). Our pop stars and actors dominate charts and movie marquees. Crime has been dropping for 20 years. Even the quality of our air is exceptional, the World Health Organization reports.

It's not just power brokers who are revising their views of Canada. The long-bemoaned outflow of our talent to better opportunities abroad—especially south of the border—appears to be reversing.

...nine out of 10 Canadians think this is the best country in the world, and 42% believe our best days lie ahead...

...our middle class has been steadily gaining on the Americans, and today it is significantly richer...

For New Yorker Hunter Tura, Canada's biggest draw was simply our superior quality of life...I could live anywhere in the world and do what I do. But I choose to live here," he says, pointing to everything from good schools to safe neighbourhoods to best-in-class airports... puts Toronto and Vancouver among what he calls 21st-century cities. "When I'm in Doha or Beijing or Riyadh, these places have intensity and a future-oriented worldview. When I'm in New York or Chicago, I don't feel the same optimism."

...we're a prosperous society luring talent from around the globe and sitting on an unparalleled diversity of natural resources.

Canada, currently the sixth-largest oil producer on the planet, is thus likely to see its ranking rise...Another vast storehouse lies in the Arctic.

Aside from being a safe economic harbour, Canada has another, lesser-known asset to offer global businesses: a low-tax environment...

....threats to Canada's manifest destiny, starting with stratospheric household debt—already the second-highest among the G7 and rising. Our environmental reputation has also taken a pounding from the oilsands' dirty image and the withdrawal from the Kyoto Protocol...

Our cities regularly top lists of the best places to live and, according to Richard Florida, an influential American academic (who himself moved to Toronto...)...they're set to become leading centres of growth due to their cultural tolerance and creativity.

Unlike the nationalism of more culturally monolithic nations that tends to exclude foreign-born citizens, in Canada it's immigrants....people who live here by choice, not happenstance—who tend to be the biggest patriots. They have a context for comparison, and an appreciation of our potential.

Canada consistently rose above its northern peers in everything from economic growth to aboriginal rights...based on quality of life and future prospects, "it's a great time to be a Canadian."

hockeyfan1

Most liveable cities...three are right here in Canada (top five)...

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/dailybrew/three-world-top-liveable-cities-canada-171302912.html

The top ten cities and their scores:

Melbourne, Australia — 97.5
Vienna, Austria — 97.4
Vancouver, B.C. — 97.3
Toronto, Ont. — 97.2
Calgary, Alta. — 96.6

Adelaide, Australia — 96.6
Sydney, Australia — 96.1
Helsinki, Finland — 96.0
Perth, Australia — 95.9
Auckland, N.Z. — 95.7

Potvin29

Canada and Australia are a symphony of liveability.

hockeyfan1

hockeyfan1

Canada's vital role in the sprouting and inspiration for the ideas of "glasnost" and "perestroika" by Gorbachev & Yakovlev, thanks to the Trudeau federal Liberal government at the time.

A grest read, even for those who wish to refresh their sense of history...

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/03/17/the-walk-that-changed-the-world/