Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Craig Berube named new coach of the Leafs

Started by L K, May 17, 2024, 03:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dappleganger

Quote from: herman on May 23, 2024, 12:07:18 PM
Quote from: Dappleganger on May 23, 2024, 11:39:24 AMBerube might have some issues with Nylander...

Nylander is reportedly the only core 4 player who asked Keefe to help hold him accountable (they had a pre-existing relationship with the Marlies). He'll appreciate whatever Berube is serving and use it as fuel.

Keefe never really was able to (or allowed to?) do anything of the sort to Tavares, Matthews, Marner when they dogged it until this past season (under new management). I'm sure he wanted to, but he also wanted to win games and would trot them out there regardless of performance on most nights.

Strictly looking at it as Matthews and Marner are both Selke vote getters as best defensive forward.

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

Quote from: Dappleganger on May 23, 2024, 12:39:01 PM
Quote from: Dappleganger on May 23, 2024, 11:39:24 AMBerube might have some issues with Nylander...

Nylander is reportedly the only core 4 player who asked Keefe to help hold him accountable (they had a pre-existing relationship with the Marlies). He'll appreciate whatever Berube is serving and use it as fuel.

Keefe never really was able to (or allowed to?) do anything of the sort to Tavares, Matthews, Marner when they dogged it until this past season (under new management). I'm sure he wanted to, but he also wanted to win games and would trot them out there regardless of performance on most nights.

Strictly looking at it as Matthews and Marner are both Selke vote getters as best defensive forward.

Pretty awesome that they both are in that conversation.

Team D slipped this year IIRC but Keefe did get them to play better as a whole last year.

cw

Quote from: Dappleganger on May 23, 2024, 12:39:01 PM

Nylander will have those 'je ne sais quoi' moments. He can't help himself. It is the price to be paid for his unpredictability that helps him & drives defenses nuts. But sometimes, he's in the wrong place at the wrong time and the coach will let him know it.
Marner will have those 'go north, not east-west' moments that the coach won't always appreciate. Steen did well with Berube. Marner is in some ways like a more highly skilled Steen.
I'm sure he'll appreciate Matthews & Marner's defensive game.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: cw on May 23, 2024, 11:41:17 AMDoesn't that smell of tampering?
Seems kind of odd to me.

Ultimately Savard was under contract with the Flames and if they really wanted to keep him there they could have. Their head coach was a rookie last year though and so I do wonder if maybe they regretted not having someone on his staff with a little more experience. Savard had only had 1 year as an assistant coach prior to this season. Their other assistants were relatively green as well. This could give them a chance to rectify that possible misstep, so a mutual parting of ways could genuinely be a good thing here for everyone.

herman

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2024/05/21/mlhs-podcast-ep-71/
This one is very good for its analysis of Dubas/Keefe's approach with the core, vs where Treliving/Berube are likely to take it. I suspect it will be in the middle ground between the two extremes of Lamoriello/Babcock <--> Dubas/Keefe
#27 #TeamFasstholes

herman

https://twitter.com/Kyle_Cush/status/1794090030840852671
Two down

Keefe --> relieved --> Carolina Head Coach
Malhotra --> Abbotsford Head Coach
Chynoweth
Boucher
Van Ryn
#27 #TeamFasstholes

louisstamos

Quote from: herman on May 24, 2024, 02:44:45 PMhttps://twitter.com/Kyle_Cush/status/1794090030840852671
Two down

Keefe --> relieved --> Carolina Head Coach
Chynoweth
Boucher
Van Ryn

Van Ryn was a coach under Berube in St. Louis, so me thinks he might stay.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: herman on May 24, 2024, 02:44:45 PMhttps://twitter.com/Kyle_Cush/status/1794090030840852671
Two down

Keefe --> relieved --> New Jersey Head Coach
Chynoweth
Boucher
Van Ryn
I think Boucher may stay on .

Highlander

"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

cabber24

Quote from: Highlander on May 24, 2024, 03:47:06 PMI hope not his power play sucked
It would be mind blowing that the guy in charge of a PP that bad with the globetrotters at his disposal would keep his job.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: cabber24 on May 24, 2024, 05:00:51 PM
Quote from: Highlander on May 24, 2024, 03:47:06 PMI hope not his power play sucked
It would be mind blowing that the guy in charge of a PP that bad with the globetrotters at his disposal would keep his job.
Ultimately the head coach controls the personal on the PP. Malhotra didn't get the axe when the PP fell under his watch. Boucher is more of a defensive guy.  I kind of think if they didn't want him back they'd have let him go by now. We'll see at some point

herman

#27 #TeamFasstholes

CarltonTheBear

Scott Arniel gets the Winnipeg HC job, while Dan Bylsma finally resurfaces in Seattle. There's only one head coach position left to be filled and that's the rather undesirable San Jose job and it's sounding like Marco Sturm or Ryan Warsofsky are getting that.

Wonder if part of the hold up on the assistants here is the Leafs are waiting to see if anyone who is left without a seat would be interested. Jay Woodcroft in particular is someone who really jumps out that I'm surprised didn't get hired anywhere this offseason. Or possibly the Leafs circle back on Todd McLellan. He ran Detroit's PP while he was an assistant there back in the day.

bustaheims

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 28, 2024, 09:36:44 AMScott Arniel gets the Winnipeg HC job, while Dan Bylsma finally resurfaces in Seattle. There's only one head coach position left to be filled and that's the rather undesirable San Jose job and it's sounding like Marco Sturm or Ryan Warsofsky are getting that.

Wonder if part of the hold up on the assistants here is the Leafs are waiting to see if anyone who is left without a seat would be interested. Jay Woodcroft in particular is someone who really jumps out that I'm surprised didn't get hired anywhere this offseason. Or possibly the Leafs circle back on Todd McLellan after he didn't get picked here. McLellan ran Detroit's PP while he was an assistant there back in the day.

I'm sure that's part of it. I also suspect Berube has been having conversations with the guys currently under contract and figuring out who he's comfortable with and who he's not. It's all part of the process.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

cw

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 28, 2024, 09:36:44 AMJay Woodcroft in particular is someone who really jumps out that I'm surprised didn't get hired anywhere this offseason.

.267 win% with Woodcroft
.717 win% without Woodcroft
The night and day difference in the Oilers after his departure probably had something to do with it.