Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2024 Offseason Thread: Changes

Started by herman, May 05, 2024, 02:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leafsjunkie, Arn, herman, caveman, Zee, Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate and 24 Guests are viewing this topic.

Highlander

Wasn't there some talk of a Russian winger being signed as a free agent? Played on the same team as one of our other Russia KHL prospects.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Highlander on June 10, 2024, 11:14:48 AMWasn't there some talk of a Russian winger being signed as a free agent? Played on the same team as one of our other Russia KHL prospects.

Probably thinking of Maxim Tsyplakov. He signed with the Islanders last month.

CarltonTheBear

Mirtle said today he's hearing that the Leafs will probably have interest in David Perron this offseason. Not exactly a surprise, and someone lots of people pointed at once Berube was hired.

Interesting thing about Perron is that as a 36-year old he'll be eligible for performance bonuses on a 1-year contract. It's possible he'll be looking for a 2-year deal but if he has to settle for 1 bonuses would be a way to get him signed to a possible bargain number this season and have the extra stuff pushed down the line to 25/26 when there will be even more cap space.

Bill_Berg

Mirtle also said mutual interest between Laurent Brossoit and the Leafs. He would be my first choice in the absence of an opportunity to get a solid #1.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Bill_Berg on June 10, 2024, 01:53:23 PMMirtle also said mutual interest between Laurent Brossoit and the Leafs. He would be my first choice in the absence of an opportunity to get a solid #1.

Yeah I mean unless the Leafs go big name hunting for a goalie via trade (which is probably unlikely for a variety of reasons) I think it's a very safe bet they end up with one of Brossoit or Stolarz this offseason. And there aren't even a ton of teams looking for a 1B type goalie right now too so even though they're technically the two best UFA goalies available the bidding wars on them shouldn't get too bad hopefully.

L K

Quote from: Bill_Berg on June 10, 2024, 01:53:23 PMMirtle also said mutual interest between Laurent Brossoit and the Leafs. He would be my first choice in the absence of an opportunity to get a solid #1.

I'm stealing content from looking at a Reddit feed but his twitter feed is ummm....a bit of a culture shift for the Leafs to go into that kind of belief system.  It's very Alex Jones/Andrew Tate forward.

Bill_Berg

Quote from: L K on June 10, 2024, 02:22:23 PM

I'm stealing content from looking at a Reddit feed but his twitter feed is ummm....a bit of a culture shift for the Leafs to go into that kind of belief system.  It's very Alex Jones/Andrew Tate forward.

I can't find what you may be referring to. His Twitter feed seems to be fine. Not many posts but still shows him as a Golden Knight. I don't see any conspiracy stuff at all.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Bill_Berg on June 10, 2024, 02:33:59 PM

I can't find what you may be referring to. His Twitter feed seems to be fine. Not many posts but still shows him as a Golden Knight. I don't see any conspiracy stuff at all.

Just checked, his list of followers is what LK would be referring to. I've learned to generally just accept that lots if not most hockey players will have opinions out there that I strongly disagree with. Like Bertuzzi's "life choice" over choosing not to get a certain something doesn't change how I felt about him as a hockey player ultimately, same goes for players following certain politicians or influencers really now. Openly being an infowars guy is probably where I'd draw the line though. Go Stolarz, I guess.

Bill_Berg

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on June 10, 2024, 03:00:09 PM

Just checked, his list of followers is what LK would be referring to. I've learned to generally just accept that lots if not most hockey players will have opinions out there that I strongly disagree with. Like Bertuzzi's "life choice" over choosing not to get a certain something doesn't change how I felt about him as a hockey player ultimately, same goes for players following certain politicians or influencers really now. Openly being an infowars guy is probably where I'd draw the line though. Go Stolarz, I guess.

Ug, wish I didn't know that now lol.

herman

Just going off my own definitions here, but the worst person twitter followed by:
Matthews: David Portnoy
Nylander: Jeremy Bracco/Patrick Kane
Tavares: lol
Marner: toss up between Paul Bissonnette (kind of uncouth?) and Marcus Stroman (clipped his dog's ears and tail).

Oddly, Matthews and Nylander do not follow Marner. Tavares follows Marner and the other two. Marner follows AM and JT but not WN.
#27 #TeamFasstholes

L K

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on June 10, 2024, 03:00:09 PM

In fairness, simply following them doesn't necessarily mean he's a bad person...but when you have Infowars, and Project Veritas and Andrew Tate...that's not an accidental follow.  Infowars is a pretty hard line "not tolerable to me" point though with the harassment of Sandy Hook victims/families.

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

If you are saying Broissant follows Infowars then he's 100x worse than Bertuzzi, who was merely reprehensible.  Following Alex Jones is disqualifying, period.

Dappleganger

I will accept following Alex Jones if it means stopping the puck at an elite level.

I AM NOT a follower of Alex Jones, like LK said, he's made despicable claims on SH, etc. He's also been right about a few things too. 

Maybe he follows those accounts for the "LOLs"?

bustaheims

Quote from: Dappleganger on June 10, 2024, 04:19:21 PMI will accept following Alex Jones if it means stopping the puck at an elite level.

The problem there is that Brossoit really only does that as a traditional backup - and not super consistently at that, either. Never started more than 22 games in a season, has mostly alternated between good and bad seasons, and he's already 31, so it's not like he's a young guy transitioning into a starting role. Not that Stolarz is much different, but he doesn't come with the conspiracy minded odour Brossoit does.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

IJustLurkHere

Quote from: herman on June 09, 2024, 11:08:02 AMDeclarations aren't really persuasive arguments. We should also note that we've really only seen Marner in a playstyle that was literally designed to be give Marner the puck. However good Marner plays, I think it's self-evident it does not match up with his expected asking price and barely even matches his current cap hit.

That's a generous serving of irony there.

In the hypothetical where we replace Marner's $11M with 2x $5.5 players, that's no guarantee of quality. Last year the leafs spent $5.5M on Tyler Bertuzzi and $5M on TJ Brodie. If that's what the Leafs got for Marner, that does not read as an improvement to me. I am yet to be persuaded that the lure of flexibility isn't the mirage of grass appearing greener on the other side. Who are the 2x$5.5M Dman and Goalie combo who will make us forget about Marner?

Star players and UFAs aren't where we'll find excessive value for money - that would take a Minten or a Cowan turning into an NHLer, Knies emerging as a genuine power scoring threat, or another diamond in the rough Bobby McMann style. But on the level of value we need just to prevent moving backwards, Marner's injury interrupted year delivered 26 goals and 59 assists in 69 games. I think it's self-evident that isn't an easy combiniation of value to replace.

So here's my unpersuasive declaration: Solid choices with the money that comes from Bertuzzi, Domi, Brodie and Samsonov's expiring contracts is more likely to move the needle in a positive direction for 24-25 and beyond than cutting ties with Marner for a couple of $5.5M rolls of the dice.