Previous topic - Next topic

azzurri63

Quote from: Big Daddy on May 06, 2024, 12:53:13 PMTwo things

Only way I trade Marner is if Chicago wins the draft lottery and we
trade him for the #1 overall Celebrini, I'm sure Marner would wave to
go play with Bedard

Extend Tavares with a 4M x 2 years and get his buddy Stamkos here on a
4M x 3 years and they can retire together

You're not getting Celebrini for Marner.

herman

#27 #TeamFasstholes

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington

Quote from: herman on May 06, 2024, 05:24:51 PMhttps://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1787607991740456996

🍿

Guessing coaching change this summer and Shanahan out in 12 months if that doesn't fix things.

4EVRLEAFAN

Quote from: herman on May 06, 2024, 05:24:51 PMhttps://twitter.com/friedgehnic/status/1787607991740456996
Bumped to Friday

Well this sucks, 10 years of the Shanaplan is enough. :(

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on May 06, 2024, 05:27:04 PM

🍿

Guessing coaching change this summer and Shanahan out in 12 months if that doesn't fix things.
Coaching change might be by next week if Keefe is fired Friday. Can't wait forever to hire a guy when teams are looking. Kings, Blues, Kraken, sens, Devils all need head coaches.

cw

🍿

Friedman reported that there have been discussions/debates about the Leafs GM reporting directly to Pelley - potentially eliminating Shanahan's role. They did not get consensus on it that and may be leaving it to Pelley to decide.

For Shanahan to be appearing, that suggests it isn't as likely to happen very soon - it would already be done.

Pelley just joined MLSE officially in April so he probably would like some time to get his head around what is going on.

Friedman also reported that there are a few teams interested in Berube - specifically the Devils were one he named. If the Leafs are interested, they will have to move quickly.

To me, that sort of thing has to happen first: the GM decision making has to be settled.
It may be best to consider the available coaching talent now before the best ones get hired.

It looks like the writing is on the wall for Keefe. I'm not a gigantic fan of his but didn't mind him either. He's capable. He got the forwards to play defense (like few Leafs coaches ever have). Did he underachieve this season? I don't think so. The talent on that roster finished about where they should with a weak D and goaltending issues.

Did Keefe underachieve in his time here? Given the talent and resources he had to work with, I'd say winning only 1 playoff round in the wake of the regular seasons during his time was underachievement - some of that on Dubas. Keefe was unable to improve the PK this season - even with the addition of Lyubushkin & Edmundson (in part, due to Samsonov's PK goaltending). Keefe was unable to adjust/fix the PP against Boston in the playoffs. Year after year, his teams get offensively stifled in the playoffs but his regular season efforts do not seem to prepare the players with emphasis on the type/style of scoring needed in the tighter playoffs. The Leafs players need a new voice and even Keefe seems to sense that.

mr grieves

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 06, 2024, 12:47:44 PMIf Marner goes to Treliving on July 1st and says he's willing to sign an identical extension to Nylander's (8 years, $11.5mil), do you do it?

I would.

Tavares's contract comes off the books, and whatever follows (if here) will likely be deeply discounted (can't see higher than $6M). That's $17.5 where once it was $22, and under a much different cap.

Would insist on a 10-team list every year tho

Rob

I like Sheldon Keefe.  I think coaches can get stale.  As the saying goes, coaches are hired to be fired.  I'm sure he will land on his feet with another team in short order, if that's what ultimately happens here with the Leafs. 

Rob

Quote from: mr grieves on May 06, 2024, 07:25:32 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 06, 2024, 12:47:44 PMIf Marner goes to Treliving on July 1st and says he's willing to sign an identical extension to Nylander's (8 years, $11.5mil), do you do it?

I would.

Tavares's contract comes off the books, and whatever follows (if here) will likely be deeply discounted (can't see higher than $6M). That's $17.5 where once it was $22, and under a much different cap.

Would insist on a 10-team list every year tho

Absolutely.  After having a couple days to calm down, I think getting rid of Marner would be a huge mistake. 

Bender

🍿

Wake me up when Shanny's fired. I still have some interest but this is about entertainment and the Leafs under Shanahan as of right now are not entertaining.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

CarltonTheBear

Shanahan's contract runs until the end of next season. I suspect if anything Pelley and MLSE will let the contract play out and reconsider the entire President role once that happens.

Bender

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 06, 2024, 08:38:29 PMShanahan's contract runs until the end of next season. I suspect if anything Pelley and MLSE will let the contract play out and reconsider the entire President role once that happens.

Right, same idea. Prove that were going to try something different.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

Quote from: Bender on May 06, 2024, 07:43:38 PM

🍿

Wake me up when Shanny's fired. I still have some interest but this is about entertainment and the Leafs under Shanahan as of right now are not entertaining.

I have to disagree there.  The Leafs play really entertaining hi-offense hockey ... until mid-April.  In fact they are super-fun to watch.  They just do a 180 once the playoff puck drops.

Bender

Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on May 06, 2024, 09:40:12 PM
Quote from: Bender on May 06, 2024, 07:43:38 PM

🍿

I have to disagree there.  The Leafs play really entertaining hi-offense hockey ... until mid-April.  In fact they are super-fun to watch.  They just do a 180 once the playoff puck drops.

The run by Matthews was special but the goal scoring run is over and unlikely to repeat, that was the main point of interest through the whole season. This team is unlikable and when you know you're going to lose in the playoffs it's not an entertaining watch. This is the first time in a long time that I actually missed the majority of three playoff games and I literally missed nothing.

Peter D.

Quote from: Rob on May 06, 2024, 07:25:43 PMI like Sheldon Keefe.  I think coaches can get stale.  As the saying goes, coaches are hired to be fired.  I'm sure he will land on his feet with another team in short order, if that's what ultimately happens here with the Leafs.

I could totally see Dubas firing Sullivan and bringing in Keefe if and when he is fired by the Leafs.

Keefe seems like a good guy.  The players obviously like and respect him.  But he's been unable to bring the potential out of this team.  He hasn't lived up to expectations, and he'll take the fall for it.  At this point, I'd say rightfully so.