Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Armchair GM Thread 2024-25

Started by herman, May 05, 2024, 01:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bustaheims

Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on May 29, 2024, 02:38:42 PMAlso, if Stamkos gets say $6m that probably means Tavares will probably want that next summer too. Though could always just let him go.

Stamkos is coming off his 3rd straight 30+ goal, 75+ point season - basically, what he's been able to do every season he's been healthy. He hasn't shown many signs of decline yet, other than needing to move to the wing. He's going to get at least $6M, probably more, if he hits the market. Quite frankly, unless Tavares bottoms out next season, he's also likely to get a $6M+ contract offer from someone.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington

Quote from: bustaheims on May 29, 2024, 03:10:54 PM
Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on May 29, 2024, 02:38:42 PMAlso, if Stamkos gets say $6m that probably means Tavares will probably want that next summer too. Though could always just let him go.

Stamkos is coming off his 3rd straight 30+ goal, 75+ point season - basically, what he's been able to do every season he's been healthy. He hasn't shown many signs of decline yet, other than needing to move to the wing. He's going to get at least $6M, probably more, if he hits the market. Quite frankly, unless Tavares bottoms out next season, he's also likely to get a $6M+ contract offer from someone.

Yeah, I assumed if he didn't resign with Tampa that $6m to play at home might tempt him. Will be a bit of a hit in the wallet after a higher salary with no income tax.

bustaheims

Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on May 29, 2024, 03:30:42 PM

Yeah, I assumed if he didn't resign with Tampa that $6m to play at home might tempt him. Will be a bit of a hit in the wallet after a higher salary with no income tax.

He's almost certainly going to get an AAV of $8M+. He'll be one of the most sought after UFAs if he hits the market.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington

Quote from: bustaheims on May 29, 2024, 04:29:05 PM
Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on May 29, 2024, 03:30:42 PM

He's almost certainly going to get an AAV of $8M+. He'll be one of the most sought after UFAs if he hits the market.

In that case it's even more of a no to fitting him in with the upgrades needed in goal and defence without trading Marner.

Joe

Quote from: Arn on May 29, 2024, 08:39:58 AMSo is there any way we can have:

Knies - Matthews - XXXX
Stamkos - Nylander - XXXX
Tavares - XXXX - Marner

Just to be a bit of a dick, and complaining about Marner not being a big game performer, Stamkos has 0 points in 8 career game 7s.

TB also won 1 of their 2 Covid cups without him.

princedpw

I think Stamkos will cost Toronto 20% more to sign here than Tampa ... so if Tampa doesn't want him for a particular price, I'm not sure it will be a good deal for us.

Also, we just don't need him as much as we need a goaltender, defense, and a 2/3 center.

Zee

Quote from: princedpw on May 29, 2024, 10:24:35 PMI think Stamkos will cost Toronto 20% more to sign here than Tampa ... so if Tampa doesn't want him for a particular price, I'm not sure it will be a good deal for us.

Also, we just don't need him as much as we need a goaltender, defense, and a 2/3 center.

The only way I see Stamkos here is if he feels "disrespected" by Tampa's offer and decides to sign in Toronto to try and show Tampa up.  Same division, head to head etc.  Maybe they get him at a discounted rate because his motivation will be playing in his hometown, biggest market and stuffing it to Tampa.  Hey one can dream?

Arn

Yeah I was thinking it would really only be possible next season with a discount on what he could get.

But I was curious if there was any way to make it happen. Guess it might depend on the Marner thing, and then of course he could be signed before anything happens there.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

CarltonTheBear

Spit-balling a "what if we cheap out on forwards (for now) and go big name shopping on D" idea:

Trade Kampf and Lily to recoup some draft picks, re-sign Dewar to $1mil deal, sign Skjei (or Montour) long-term for $7.5mil, sign Tanev medium term for $5mil, sign Stolarz (or Broissoit) medium term for $3.25mil:

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Cowan-Minten-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Dewar-Tverberg
Reaves

Skjei-McCabe
Rielly-Tanev
Benoit-Timmins
Rifai

Stolarz
Woll

That's a 22-man roster with $1.7mil in cap space left. Some candidates to yo-yo with the Marlies in order to accrue more cap space on off days without the hassle of LTIR now. Reconsider whether a replacement is needed for Timmins or go shopping for a forward later on in the season.

Dappleganger

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on May 30, 2024, 11:43:52 AMSpit-balling a "what if we cheap out on forwards (for now) and go big name shopping on D" idea:

Trade Kampf and Lily to recoup some draft picks, re-sign Dewar to $1mil deal, sign Skjei (or Montour) long-term for $7.5mil, sign Tanev medium term for $5mil, sign Stolarz (or Broissoit) medium term for $3.25mil:

Knies-Matthews-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Marner
Cowan-Minten-Jarnkrok
Holmberg-Dewar-Tverberg
Reaves

In the past, The Leafs have not been reluctant to throw a player with little NHL experience on the top line.

A first line of:

Cowan - Matthews - Marner?

I wonder...

herman

I want 3 attack lines, and maybe that means one kid per line, and I'm counting Knies as a kid.

Knies-Matthews-Jarnkrok
Cowan-Nylander-Marner
Minten-Tavares-McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Holmberg
Robertson

Each top 9 centre has wingers that cover their weakness: Matthews' body on the forecheck, Nylander's absentminded defense, Tavares' speed. Each of the kids is also understudying with a veteran who matches their playstyle. Berube would also be happy with the level of forechecking ability across the board, save for the Nylander line which will be a rush-attack group.

Robertson rotates in with any of the non-Knies kids, and takes over if one goes back to junior.

I am uncertain of Minten's eligibilities (WHL vs AHL) as he is turning 20 at the beginning of July. I think he is eligible for AHL, or the WHL as one of 3 overagers?

If we shuttle off Marner, then I'd expect at least one mid-class or better forward coming back (or UFA'd) to fill that slot. If it's a centre, then obviously Nylander goes back to winging it.
#27 #TeamFasstholes

CarltonTheBear

Arn

Quote from: herman on May 30, 2024, 12:51:32 PMI want 3 attack lines, and maybe that means one kid per line, and I'm counting Knies as a kid.

Knies-Matthews-Jarnkrok
Cowan-Nylander-Marner
Minten-Tavares-McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Holmberg
Robertson

Each top 9 centre has wingers that cover their weakness: Matthews' body on the forecheck, Nylander's absentminded defense, Tavares' speed. Each of the kids is also understudying with a veteran who matches their playstyle. Berube would also be happy with the level of forechecking ability across the board, save for the Nylander line which will be a rush-attack group.

Robertson rotates in with any of the non-Knies kids, and takes over if one goes back to junior.

I am uncertain of Minten's eligibilities (WHL vs AHL) as he is turning 20 at the beginning of July. I think he is eligible for AHL, or the WHL as one of 3 overagers?

If we shuttle off Marner, then I'd expect at least one mid-class or better forward coming back (or UFA'd) to fill that slot. If it's a centre, then obviously Nylander goes back to winging it.

Any way of bringing Domi back to slot him alongside Knies and Matthews on your top line?

Jarnkrok could be a valuable trade piece too.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Dappleganger

Quote from: Arn on May 30, 2024, 01:15:16 PM
Quote from: herman on May 30, 2024, 12:51:32 PMI want 3 attack lines, and maybe that means one kid per line, and I'm counting Knies as a kid.

Knies-Matthews-Jarnkrok
Cowan-Nylander-Marner
Minten-Tavares-McMann
Dewar-Kampf-Holmberg
Robertson

Any way of bringing Domi back to slot him alongside Knies and Matthews on your top line?

Yes, and actually I think re-signing Domi is a priority. If either Matthews or Tavares miss any substantial time, they will need a Center who can play on the top two lines. Domi would be insurance for that. No one else on the roster would be a good fit for that, imo.

herman

Quote from: Arn on May 30, 2024, 01:15:16 PMAny way of bringing Domi back to slot him alongside Knies and Matthews on your top line?

Domi, I'm a bit torn on. He is useful and frustrating, but maybe that was just how Keefe was using him? I think he'd be good get at a certain price point and he's looking for term here more than anything else, so I think he'd be affordable (like 3M for 3 years?). But he's also like not that good and puts himself in the box a lot? but cheap and works with Matthews goes a long way.

Yes, I would absolutely start with Domi on Matthews' wing and switch it around from there as needed, but it will push more defensive responsibility elsewhere.

I'd like to keep Jarnkrok, our Swedish Connor Brown. He's cheaper than most UFA gets at his level and can play on all 4 lines.

Quote from: Dappleganger on May 30, 2024, 01:19:20 PMYes, and actually I think re-signing Domi is a priority. If either Matthews or Tavares miss any substantial time, they will need a Center who can play on the top two lines. Domi would be insurance for that. No one else on the roster would be a good fit for that, imo.

Cowan-Domi-Marner would be insufferable but kind of hilarious.
#27 #TeamFasstholes