Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Armchair GM Thread 2024-25

Started by herman, May 05, 2024, 01:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herman

Quote from: herman on May 21, 2024, 12:13:14 PMAnother silly idea:

To NJD: Mitch Marner (sign and trade), Timothy Liljegren (RFA rights), Keith Petruzzelli (RFA rights)

To TOR: Jesper Bratt, Jake Allen, Simon Nemec, 2025 Rd2 (Jets' pick)

A less silly idea today!
#27 #TeamFasstholes

cw

Quote from: herman on May 22, 2024, 05:02:28 PM

To NJD: Mitch Marner (sign and trade), Timothy Liljegren (RFA rights), Keith Petruzzelli (RFA rights)

A less silly idea today!

Ignoring the dollars, I'm not clear on why New Jersey would do that ...

Guilt Trip

Quote from: RedLeaf on May 22, 2024, 03:19:21 PM
Quote from: herman on May 22, 2024, 01:25:04 PMI don't think staying close to Toronto is a priority for Marner, so Buffalo probably isn't a destination he'd have in mind.

A west coast or Sun Belt city with limited or no income taxation, where people don't know you're a hockey player on the street might appeal if he's laying down his godhood.
No income tax: Nashville, Seattle, Las Vegas, Florida/Tampa, Dallas
Low income tax: Colorado, Utah, St. Louis

Cross-reference with which teams are approaching a contention threshold, have a couple of good prospects on the cusp, while the team needs more assists, and has cap space: Nashville, Utah, Seattle?

A sign and trade after July 1 would set him and the recipient team up nicely: 1 775k year + 8 years doesn't change the cap hit, but will show up more palatably on their payroll ledger.

Not that it matters all that much, but I think the comment about Toronto players being gods was something he was fond of.
He didn't say they were gods. Said they were treated like gods. There's a huge difference.

herman

Quote from: cw on May 22, 2024, 05:28:09 PM

A less silly idea today!

Some owners just love to make a splash.
#27 #TeamFasstholes

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington

I agree that I can only see Marner headed for free agency. About the only leverage the Leafs have is being able to give him an 8 year deal in either keeping him or sign and trade, but I reckon he will go the Matthews route of shorter term and sign for 3-4 years on the open market at a rate the Leafs won't match and then a big big contract aged 30-31. So that leverage won't apply.

Wonder if this could turn ugly at games this season if/when he refuses to waive. He's already a target on social media. That's bound to transfer into the arena too at some point.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: herman on May 22, 2024, 01:25:04 PMA sign and trade after July 1 would set him and the recipient team up nicely: 1 775k year + 8 years doesn't change the cap hit, but will show up more palatably on their payroll ledger.
Why would 16 do a sign and trade to get the Leafs another asset and set himself up nicely? He can do the Hanifan or Horvat way and sign his 8 year deal after getting traded. Leafs want him gone so why is he doing them any favors? I wouldn't. I tell them I'm willing to go to X or maybe Y team and that's it. Would be talking to either team before any trade and seeing where they want to be contract wise and go from there.

cw

Quote from: herman on May 22, 2024, 05:39:19 PM
Quote from: cw on May 22, 2024, 05:28:09 PM

A less silly idea today!

Some owners just love to make a splash.

They sure did with their ownership.
They bought the 76ers and Devils 13 and 11 years ago for ~$630 mil (combined)
In roughly 12 years, they're worth $5.5 Billion.

Injuries and issues had them underachieve last year.
Looks like a promising roster.
I can see why Keefe took the deal.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on May 22, 2024, 05:43:44 PMI agree that I can only see Marner headed for free agency. About the only leverage the Leafs have is being able to give him an 8 year deal in either keeping him or sign and trade, but I reckon he will go the Matthews route of shorter term and sign for 3-4 years on the open market at a rate the Leafs won't match and then a big big contract aged 30-31. So that leverage won't apply.

Wonder if this could turn ugly at games this season if/when he refuses to waive. He's already a target on social media. That's bound to transfer into the arena too at some point.
Only way 16 doesn't get an 8 year deal is if he doesn't want to sign one or goes the UFA route. He has to be on the signing team's roster by the deadline to qualify for an 8 year deal.

If the Leafs ask him to waive he won't be coming back here if he goes to UFA.

Frank E

Quote from: Guilt Trip on May 22, 2024, 06:32:30 PM
Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on May 22, 2024, 05:43:44 PMI agree that I can only see Marner headed for free agency. About the only leverage the Leafs have is being able to give him an 8 year deal in either keeping him or sign and trade, but I reckon he will go the Matthews route of shorter term and sign for 3-4 years on the open market at a rate the Leafs won't match and then a big big contract aged 30-31. So that leverage won't apply.

Only way 16 doesn't get an 8 year deal is if he doesn't want to sign one or goes the UFA route. He has to be on the signing team's roster by the deadline to qualify for an 8 year deal.

I think you need to put yourself in Marner's camp for a second...this is a way to get him an 8 year deal and leave with dignity...he's from here.  He's not going to poison this well.  And the Leafs have leverage.

Arn

If Marner goes anywhere, he's an absolute guarantee to score the Stanley cup final game 7 winning OT goal.

Against the Leafs.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

herman

#27 #TeamFasstholes

herman

Quote from: Arn on May 23, 2024, 03:14:05 AMIf Marner goes anywhere, he's an absolute guarantee to score the Stanley cup final game 7 winning OT goal.

Against the Leafs.

I think if we take it to game 7, he will have 0 shots.
#27 #TeamFasstholes

Bullfrog

Quote from: Frank E on May 22, 2024, 06:45:03 PM

I think you need to put yourself in Marner's camp for a second...this is a way to get him an 8 year deal and leave with dignity...he's from here.  He's not going to poison this well.  And the Leafs have leverage.

For Marner, perhaps. I'm not sure his team lists dignity at the top of their values.

If I were Marner, I think I'd lean towards not taking an extension this year. He'll get his $11M+ from somebody. Is an 8-year vs 7-year contract of that much concern to him?

Bender

Quote from: Bullfrog on May 23, 2024, 07:55:03 AM
Quote from: Frank E on May 22, 2024, 06:45:03 PM

For Marner, perhaps. I'm not sure his team lists dignity at the top of their values.

If I were Marner, I think I'd lean towards not taking an extension this year. He'll get his $11M+ from somebody. Is an 8-year vs 7-year contract of that much concern to him?

If you can get a massive signing bonus, 8yrs, dictate where you want to go and get out of a bad situation then why wait? Why prolong the misery? If Marner plays hardball I can see the Leafs keeping him away from Matthews and making his remaining time here insufferable.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Bullfrog

I doubt that, but it'll likely be the fans making his time insufferable.