Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

sens vs. Maple Leafs - Feb. 10th, 7:00pm - SN, TSN 1050

Started by CarltonTheBear, February 09, 2024, 11:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Bender

Quote from: princedpw on February 11, 2024, 05:56:56 PMViolence against others is not ok, even when your feelings are hurt.  NHL players and coaches are horrendous role models in this respect.

My girlfriend said some mean things about me so I punched her in the face and broke her arm.  Her fault.  She shouldn't have said it.

This take is so confusing. Why are you conflating actual purposefully violent sports that consenting adults engage in vs. spousal abuse? All MMA fighters should be given life sentences in your world.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

Quote from: princedpw on February 11, 2024, 05:56:56 PMViolence against others is not ok, even when your feelings are hurt.  NHL players and coaches are horrendous role models in this respect.

My girlfriend said some mean things about me so I punched her in the face and broke her arm.  Her fault.  She shouldn't have said it.

Sums it up.

Bender

Quote from: Nik on February 12, 2024, 12:12:58 AMI think the Rielly thing is just an example of how following sports is less fun as an adult. As a kid I would have been "Yeah, play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Don't disrespect the other team. Eat it, sucker" and while I still kind of feel that way emotionally, logically I know it is neither a mature response nor a good one if you care about the team, you know, winning games.

True, but in most cases the outcome here probably isn't what would've happened if you re-ran that scenario multiple times I don't think. I think at most there's a cross check to the body, there's a scrum and the game is over.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Deebo

I'm with bender, comparing this to "real world" scenarios is ridiculous.

OldTimeHockey

I have zero problem with Rielly feeling that it deserved retribution. It was an a$$hole thing to do and I'd expect a Leaf to receive a roughing up if they did something similar. The crosscheck to the head was definitely too much though.

Bill_Berg_is_pissed_off

Yeah, Rielly should probably have just dropped the gloves and popped him a couple in the face. Then there wouldn't have been a suspension at all.

Down with headshots!

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Bender on February 12, 2024, 09:16:05 AM
Quote from: princedpw on February 11, 2024, 05:56:56 PMViolence against others is not ok, even when your feelings are hurt.  NHL players and coaches are horrendous role models in this respect.

My girlfriend said some mean things about me so I punched her in the face and broke her arm.  Her fault.  She shouldn't have said it.

This take is so confusing. Why are you conflating actual purposefully violent sports that consenting adults engage in vs. spousal abuse? All MMA fighters should be given life sentences in your world.
No kidding...what a terrible comparison...

Rob

If you watch the replay in slow-Mo (pun intended) you can see the principal point of contact is Greig's arm.  Greig raises his arm, directing Reilly's stick up and into his head.

This was mentioned up thread by another poster, I feel it needs to be reiterated because Rielly didn't skate over and give Greig a two hander over the head. 

https://youtu.be/QW1pqSHmMzY?si=ApYJmTnIgFmmF2AX&t=103

If you watch that clip in 0.25 super slo-Mo (again pun intended) it gives a good view. 

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Nik on February 12, 2024, 12:12:58 AMI think the Rielly thing is just an example of how following sports is less fun as an adult. As a kid I would have been "Yeah, play stupid games and win stupid prizes. Don't disrespect the other team. Eat it, sucker" and while I still kind of feel that way emotionally, logically I know it is neither a mature response nor a good one if you care about the team, you know, winning games.

More or less this is where I'm at too. Looking forward to when there's something else to talk about regarding the Leafs. The fact that this is being stretched into a minimum 4-day discourse thing doesn't help.

Bender

Quote from: Rob on February 12, 2024, 11:03:44 AMIf you watch the replay in slow-Mo (pun intended) you can see the principal point of contact is Greig's arm.  Greig raises his arm, directing Reilly's stick up and into his head.

This was mentioned up thread by another poster, I feel it needs to be reiterated because Rielly didn't skate over and give Greig a two hander over the head. 

https://youtu.be/QW1pqSHmMzY?si=ApYJmTnIgFmmF2AX&t=103

If you watch that clip in 0.25 super slo-Mo (again pun intended) it gives a good view. 

The guys at 32 Thoughts give a pretty fair and clear headed take on this, and that's all that needs be said really.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Bullfrog

Quote from: Rob on February 12, 2024, 11:03:44 AMIf you watch the replay in slow-Mo (pun intended) you can see the principal point of contact is Greig's arm.  Greig raises his arm, directing Reilly's stick up and into his head.

This was mentioned up thread by another poster, I feel it needs to be reiterated because Rielly didn't skate over and give Greig a two hander over the head. 

https://youtu.be/QW1pqSHmMzY?si=ApYJmTnIgFmmF2AX&t=103

If you watch that clip in 0.25 super slo-Mo (again pun intended) it gives a good view. 

Ya, it looks like he was trying to just shove him. Nonetheless he hit him in the head.

Bullfrog

Quote from: OldTimeHockey on February 12, 2024, 10:43:34 AMI have zero problem with Rielly feeling that it deserved retribution. It was an a$$hole thing to do and I'd expect a Leaf to receive a roughing up if they did something similar. The crosscheck to the head was definitely too much though.

I get the emotional side, but a push into the boards should be enough.

Bill_Berg_is_pissed_off

Quote from: Bender on February 12, 2024, 11:10:04 AM
Quote from: Rob on February 12, 2024, 11:03:44 AMIf you watch the replay in slow-Mo (pun intended) you can see the principal point of contact is Greig's arm.  Greig raises his arm, directing Reilly's stick up and into his head.

This was mentioned up thread by another poster, I feel it needs to be reiterated because Rielly didn't skate over and give Greig a two hander over the head. 

https://youtu.be/QW1pqSHmMzY?si=ApYJmTnIgFmmF2AX&t=103

If you watch that clip in 0.25 super slo-Mo (again pun intended) it gives a good view. 

The guys at 32 Thoughts give a pretty fair and clear headed take on this, and that's all that needs be said really.

Ha, I'm listening now and Elliotte says Rielly should have just punched him in the face too.

cw

Am I reading this correctly?:
https://theahl.com/stats/transactions/335/81?page=1
Feb 9, Lajoie got called up (on emergency basis from other reporting)
Feb 10, Lajoie returned to Marlies
Feb 12, Lajoie called up (don't know if on emergency basis but presume so)

Rielly is suspended - we don't know for how many games

Giordano is out - Keefe said probably longer than day-to-day

If Timmins is still sick, then they need Lajoie

Chris

He should have just jumped him, pushed him into the boards, punched him or cross checked him in the waist area. But he didn't - he led with his stick up high. Regardless of whether Grieg's arm helped the stick run up into his neck area, the initial contact was too high and potentially dangerous. You expect a guy to raise his arms to defend himself in a situation like that.

As others have noted, I love the intent of Rielly to respond to being shown up. But his actual actions were over the line and I can't believe people are still defending that and even trying to shift the blame onto Grieg.