Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2024 Blue Jays

Started by Arn, December 05, 2023, 08:35:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabber24

Allocated Ohtani $'s was only for him. That was more than a baseball budget. It was essentially a market share purchase. Since they didn't get him we can't assume they will spend anywhere near what they would have had they signed Ohtani. Without Ohtani potential revenues will be drastically lower even with other super stars.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

herman

https://twitter.com/fabianardaya/status/1734343146304397564
https://twitter.com/bnightengale/status/1734347675435483288

Higher likelihood of playoff success, live off endorsements, rake in retirement, for the cost of upfront investment potential and getting dinged on inflation. But when you're already comfortably wealthy...
#27 #TeamFasstholes

Arn

It would be very Toronto sports to end up going from seeming to being picked by Ohtani to ending up not picking up any of the top end of free agents and losing Chapman thus ending up with a worse lineup than last seasons underperforming one.
I Saw Jay McClement Score.

Bender

So how do we feel about the Kiermaier deal?
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Dappleganger

Quote from: Bender on December 27, 2023, 01:35:44 PMSo how do we feel about the Kiermaier deal?

I dunno. Ok, I guess. I like Kiermeier the player. He worked out in year 1. Doesn't move the needle a lot as a team. Still room to add Bellinger or Soler.

Edit: I see the Jays have also added Kiner-Falefa, today, as well. Not a huge needle mover but quality depth piece.

Arn

Quote from: Bender on December 27, 2023, 01:35:44 PMSo how do we feel about the Kiermaier deal?

I feel like they've very much stood still while the rest of the division has improved.

And when you think they were meant to be in on Ohtani and Soto etc, it makes it feel even more underwhelming.

Arn

Quote from: Arn on December 27, 2023, 04:40:44 PM

I feel like they've very much stood still while the rest of the division has improved.

And when you think they were meant to be in on Ohtani and Soto etc, it makes it feel even more underwhelming.

https://theathletic.com/5177668/2024/01/03/blue-jays-ohtani-kevin-kiermaier-isiah-kiner-falefa/

QuoteSpeaking to the media Wednesday for the first time since signing Kiermaier and Kiner-Falefa, GM Ross Atkins said the front office still sees ways to make the roster better offensively but stated more than once that they "feel very good about the team that is in place" and are optimistic they'll see internal improvement, in part because of structural staff changes, to build on their 89-win 2023 season.

Actually turns out they don't need anyone to replace Belt or Chapman. They hope they'll just be a bit better.

Highlander

StroBro now a Yankee.  Goo signing for them.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Bender

Quote from: Arn on January 03, 2024, 06:41:12 PM

https://theathletic.com/5177668/2024/01/03/blue-jays-ohtani-kevin-kiermaier-isiah-kiner-falefa/

QuoteSpeaking to the media Wednesday for the first time since signing Kiermaier and Kiner-Falefa, GM Ross Atkins said the front office still sees ways to make the roster better offensively but stated more than once that they "feel very good about the team that is in place" and are optimistic they'll see internal improvement, in part because of structural staff changes, to build on their 89-win 2023 season.

Actually turns out they don't need anyone to replace Belt or Chapman. They hope they'll just be a bit better.

This is insane.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Frank E

Quote from: Bender on January 12, 2024, 12:47:57 PM
Quote from: Arn on January 03, 2024, 06:41:12 PM

This is insane.

There's a lot of posturing in the media...I wouldn't read too much into it.

herman

#27 #TeamFasstholes

L K

He's an interesting player.  Could be a reliever....could also be a starter and I think he wants to start.  96-97MPH fastball with a good slider and curveball.  I think he can also throw a splitter and changeup but his fastball and curve are his best pitches.

Interesting as a mid-inning relief guy to balance out bad starts or a guy who can compete for the 5th spot in the rotation if Manoah stinks.

bustaheims

Good upside, relatively low risk. 4 years, $32m total. Even if he ends up a bullpen/6th starter type, that's a reasonable deal. Definitely potential for him to be more - probably tops out as a good 4/5 starter, but that's great value if that's how he pans out.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

herman

#27 #TeamFasstholes