Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2023-24 NHL Thread

Started by herman, September 13, 2023, 02:46:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bender

Quote from: bustaheims on April 18, 2024, 10:35:38 AM
Quote from: cabber24 on April 18, 2024, 10:12:49 AMWhat do you think about PHI pulling their goalie when they were already eliminated? I guess Tororella didn't know PHI was already eliminated when he pulled the goalie (minutes in real-time). I think Detroit has a right to be pissy about the situation. This is the NHL and teams should not be pulling goalies in a tie game when the outcome does not affect their team. I feel Tororella should have been told by his organization not to pull his goalie since they were already eliminated. Had PHI won DET would be in the playoffs.

If Philly/Torts had ample time to be informed they were eliminated, sure, but, with the information they had at the time, they believed they needed a regulation win to have a shot at a playoff spot. And, the league shouldn't be dictating strategies to teams. It's not like they decided they preferred to see Washington in that spot ahead of Detroit.

The Wings can be as upset as they want, but there was little that could be done to really avoid this situation. The Flyers were doing everything they felt could maximize their chances of making the playoffs. That's their right. It's not their fault the Wings needed everything to go their way in various teams' final games of the season.

Absolutely. If you want to get in to the playoffs then play better. I can't think of something that has caused controversy that we should be caring less about.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

Rob

Weren't the Leafs in similar situation a number of years ago where New Jersey did something we were pissed off about and the Leafs hence forth missed the play offs?

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Rob on April 18, 2024, 11:19:20 AMWeren't the Leafs in similar situation a number of years ago where New Jersey did something we were pissed off about and the Leafs hence forth missed the play offs?

That was way, way, way, way back in 2007 (Bryan McCabe still played!) and the Devils started their back-up Scott Clemmensen instead of Brodeur in the final regular season game against the Islanders. Wade Dubielewicz won the game for the Islanders in a shootout and put them in 8th place over the Leafs.

Really not the same thing. Fans were certainly unhappy that Brodeur didn't start (the game was meaningless to New Jersey) but it's not like the organization would have had any gripes.

Nik

Quote from: Dappleganger on April 18, 2024, 09:52:55 AMIf you watch the video below, 16:50 to 23:45, it addresses the infrastructure and some parameters of the proposed deal:

If you never had politicians who weren't willing to do the work of the billionaires and try to sell people on the economic benefits of arenas(which there's near unanimous consensus on from actual economists who study the issue are wildly inflated and don't measure up to nearly any other use of public funds) then these things would never get built. What they ran into here was that the people of Glendale heard these same arguments, bought into them and then watched as their city was hit by an utter catastrophe by thinking a sports team was going to be a meaningful economic driver for them so it's no surprise the people of Tempe saw all that and decided to pass.

Then, the projects get built and the politicians pat themselves on the back and point to the bright shiny building when they're running for another office and are nowhere to be found 5 or 10 years later when the economic benefits they promise don't materialize and the owners are already demanding more money. Look at what Phoenix recently, and is still, going through with the Diamondbacks making threats about moving with a not yet even 20 year old stadium.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

Highlander

I would point out that the Cardinals NFL stadium is located directly beside the Gila Rink. Plenty of very good resto's around the venue, a nice place to spend some time. I am sad to see them move.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

cabber24

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on April 18, 2024, 11:24:33 AM
Quote from: Rob on April 18, 2024, 11:19:20 AMWeren't the Leafs in similar situation a number of years ago where New Jersey did something we were pissed off about and the Leafs hence forth missed the play offs?

That was way, way, way, way back in 2007 (Bryan McCabe still played!) and the Devils started their back-up Scott Clemmensen instead of Brodeur in the final regular season game against the Islanders. Wade Dubielewicz won the game for the Islanders in a shootout and put them in 8th place over the Leafs.

Really not the same thing. Fans were certainly unhappy that Brodeur didn't start (the game was meaningless to New Jersey) but it's not like the organization would have had any gripes.
We all knew Duby was going to poke check except the bloody shooter.
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

herman

#27 #TeamFasstholes

herman

#27 #TeamFasstholes

cw

US lost 1-0.
I thought their team looked pretty good on paper.
Didn't see the game.
Dostal with 36 save shutout