Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Keefe signed to a contract extension

Started by Frank E, August 30, 2023, 11:09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cabber24

Quote from: Frank E on August 30, 2023, 11:09:48 AMhttps://www.tsn.ca/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-sign-sheldon-keefe-to-multi-year-contract-extension-1.2001676

I don't know about this one guys...
I am not super thrilled either. I don't understand trying to win championships in Toronto (Jays and Leafs) with rookie coaches?
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

Bill_Berg

Bill_Berg

Quote from: cabber24 on August 30, 2023, 11:11:04 AM
Quote from: Frank E on August 30, 2023, 11:09:48 AMhttps://www.tsn.ca/nhl/toronto-maple-leafs-sign-sheldon-keefe-to-multi-year-contract-extension-1.2001676

I don't know about this one guys...
I am not super thrilled either. I don't understand trying to win championships in Toronto (Jays and Leafs) with rookie coaches?

Yeah need more Babcocks I guess.

CarltonTheBear

I don't exactly love Keefe, but once they decided he was returning this season a contract extension of some kind was pretty much necessary. They weren't doing a 2nd straight season with a key personnel on a lame duck deal.

herman

#27 #TeamFasstholes

Frank E

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on August 30, 2023, 11:21:43 AMI don't exactly love Keefe, but once they decided he was returning this season a contract extension of some kind was pretty much necessary. They weren't doing a 2nd straight season with a key personnel on a lame duck deal.

They're calling it a multi-year extension...so 2 years?

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Frank E on August 30, 2023, 11:25:55 AM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on August 30, 2023, 11:21:43 AMI don't exactly love Keefe, but once they decided he was returning this season a contract extension of some kind was pretty much necessary. They weren't doing a 2nd straight season with a key personnel on a lame duck deal.

They're calling it a multi-year extension...so 2 years?

https://twitter.com/FriedgeHNIC/status/1696918810568147418

Frank E

Well there you go...the bare minimum more than a lame duck deal.

I'd figure he's really only got this year to make something happen, then the last year of the deal is the severance.

azzurri63

Think they should have moved on from him when Dubas was let go. He's had ample time and albeit the regular seasons have been good the failures in the playoffs is enough for me to think they should have made a change.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Frank E on August 30, 2023, 11:39:12 AMWell there you go...the bare minimum more than a lame duck deal.

I'd figure he's really only got this year to make something happen, then the last year of the deal is the severance.

Yeah. A 2-year extension says a lot about the situation.

bustaheims

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on August 30, 2023, 11:57:16 AM
Quote from: Frank E on August 30, 2023, 11:39:12 AMWell there you go...the bare minimum more than a lame duck deal.

Yeah. A 2-year extension says a lot about the situation.

Yeah. It's basically the minimum they could have given him without it being a clear sign they want to replace him at the first signs of struggle.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Bullfrog

Peter D.

Not much a fan of his or this extension.  But I'm willing to give him some leeway to see how he does under the oversight of the team from someone other than Dubas.  He stumbles, and it's an easy fire that the organization can eat the cost of. 

I'm sure there were also some/many players who were longing for some continuity than losing both Dubas and Keefe in the off-season, both whom have a seemingly good rapport with the players.  This also allows Treliving to keep his coaching "bullet" in his back pocket for another day. 

Skeptical, but cautiously optimistic that we'll see Keefe become a better coach under the circumstances.

Dappleganger

Quote from: Peter D. on August 30, 2023, 12:32:48 PMNot much a fan of his or this extension.  But I'm willing to give him some leeway to see how he does under the oversight of the team from someone other than Dubas.  He stumbles, and it's an easy fire that the organization can eat the cost of. 

I'm sure there were also some/many players who were longing for some continuity than losing both Dubas and Keefe in the off-season, both whom have a seemingly good rapport with the players.  This also allows Treliving to keep his coaching "bullet" in his back pocket for another day. 

Skeptical, but cautiously optimistic that we'll see Keefe become a better coach under the circumstances.

He got the team playing a solid defensive system and he deserves a lot of credit for that.