Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion

Started by herman, May 31, 2023, 09:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarltonTheBear and 17 Guests are viewing this topic.

herman

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on November 29, 2023, 08:38:21 AMGuys like Lagesson and Benoit have absolutely filled in admirably in their roles since getting into the line-up but this issue now is one of them, or Timmins who doesn't quite seem 100% up to speed, would now need to take a top-4 role.

This is probably how I'd roll it out, and Brodie-McCabe takes the shutdown role for a spell, and one of the 3 gets a run with Rielly to see how they handle it. Kokkonen or Villeneuve get the next call-up to cycle in over Timmins.

Rielly-Lagesson
Brodie-McCabe
Benoit-Timmins

Bender

Quote from: herman on November 29, 2023, 09:04:15 AM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on November 29, 2023, 08:38:21 AMGuys like Lagesson and Benoit have absolutely filled in admirably in their roles since getting into the line-up but this issue now is one of them, or Timmins who doesn't quite seem 100% up to speed, would now need to take a top-4 role.

This is probably how I'd roll it out, and Brodie-McCabe takes the shutdown role for a spell, and one of the 3 gets a run with Rielly to see how they handle it. Kokkonen or Villeneuve get the next call-up to cycle in over Timmins.

Rielly-Lagesson
Brodie-McCabe
Benoit-Timmins

That's an atrocious looking d corps
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Bender on November 29, 2023, 10:32:01 AMThat's an atrocious looking d corps

Most teams would look pretty bad with their #7, #8, and #9 all in the line-up.

Liljegren just became eligible to come off LTIR today. With that said he hasn't touched the ice yet and there was never really any definite time lime given for his recovery so who knows where he's at.

Fingers crossed that Gio's injury isn't that bad, I'm sure we'll get an update this week if not today.

Klingberg could officially be shutdown for the season this week if he ends up needing surgery, which will officially give Treliving the green light/cap space to go out and get another defenceman (and it seems like there's a number of them available).

azzurri63

Just goes to show you the sad state of our farm system and how thin we are. Treliving has to make a trade and bring in some help. Benoit, Lagesson as much as they have filled in great they are not the answer. Going to be a challenging next few weeks unless someone is brought in.

herman

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on November 29, 2023, 10:42:12 AMFingers crossed that Gio's injury isn't that bad,
I suspect Giordano will not be able to cross some fingers for awhile. The saving grace is he can still skate and keep up conditioning while resting and recovering.

herman

https://twitter.com/FirstUp1050/status/1729556614514966738
Not really news that the Leafs tried to get a Willy signing done in Sweden. Unless they show up with an apparent overpay/worthy offer (depending on your perspective), this probably goes into the offseason where the leverage ramps up.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: herman on November 29, 2023, 11:52:54 AMhttps://twitter.com/FirstUp1050/status/1729556614514966738
Not really news that the Leafs tried to get a Willy signing done in Sweden. Unless they show up with an apparent overpay/worthy offer (depending on your perspective), this probably goes into the offseason where the leverage ramps up.
I don't think it gets to the off season. Tre has been down this road before and I don't see him letting Willy walk away for nothing. I think there's a deadline and if he doesn't sign by it, he's gone.

Kaberle15

Quote from: Guilt Trip on November 29, 2023, 12:02:15 PMI think there's a deadline and if he doesn't sign by it, he's gone.

This is only possible if the Leafs don't have a chance at the playoffs by that time (They are 1 Woll injury away from this type of situation with Liljgreen and Gio out)
Go Leafs Go!!!

herman

Quote from: herman on November 13, 2023, 01:04:57 PMhttps://twitter.com/jtbourne/status/1724104285233816021
Just need someone (Willy?) to teach him one move to practice over and over on the cut-across, instead of pulling the trigger right away.

https://twitter.com/RinkRatReport/status/1729923428667552138
This was the move I wanted to suggest: against the grain, high blocker

Gregor got some press time post-game (for good reason) and talked about how Antropov and Denver and the other dev coaches have been working with him to help maximize this particular opportunity. Hard to think when you're gunning it, so better to just have one or two plays down pat mechanically in the toolbox. He can start mixing in a backhander (five-hole or between the glove/pad) later.

Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate

Rielly had a monster game last night, and we're talking the defensive side of the puck.  MLHS says he's giving 88 a run as team MVP thus far.  I think that's a bit exaggerated, but he's still playing on the same level he did in the playoffs last season.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Zanzibar Buck-Buck McFate on November 29, 2023, 02:55:07 PMRielly had a monster game last night, and we're talking the defensive side of the puck.  MLHS says he's giving 88 a run as team MVP thus far.  I think that's a bit exaggerated, but he's still playing on the same level he did in the playoffs last season.

I don't it's too absurd of a claim, especially considering how much he's absolutely carrying the defence right now. 16 points in 20 games, top-15 in the league among defencemen. That matches the total of all the other defencemen combined on the Leafs. 3 goals is more than the total for all the other defencemen combined on the Leafs (1). He's averaging 25:02 a game, which is good for 6th in the entire league and about a minute more than his career season average high. That's also about 2.5 more minutes a game than the next Leafs defenceman (Brodie).

If you're into that sorta thing his GAR (goals above replacement) numbers are apparently near the top of the league for defencemen, and his defensive GAR is in the positives for the first time in his career as well (those exact stats are paywall'd and I don't have access).

Like yeah Willy is the MVP but Rielly's having one of the best seasons of his career so far (if not best season) and is right behind him in that race I'd say.

Frank E

Just a thought at the 20 game mark...where these guys trend on a full season at this pace.

Player   P/GP   82 games =
William Nylander1.35   111
Auston Matthews   1.05   86
John Tavares   1   82
Mitchell Marner   1   82
Morgan Rielly   0.8   66
Calle Jarnkrok   0.55   45
Max Domi   0.55   45
Matthew Knies   0.5   41
Tyler Bertuzzi   0.45   37
Nicholas Robertson 0.56   46
Mark Giordano   0.25   21
John Klingberg   0.36   30
Noah Gregor   0.2   16
David Kampf   0.2   16
TJ Brodie   0.15   12
Bobby McMann   0.67   55
Ryan Reaves   0.06   5
Jake McCabe   0.07   6
William Lagesson   0.08   7
Timothy Liljegren   0.1   8

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: Frank E on November 29, 2023, 04:22:17 PMJust a thought at the 20 game mark...where these guys trend on a full season at this pace.

Leafs only had 1 non big-4 forward hit the 40 point mark last season with Bunting scoring 49 points (Jarnkrok to his credit had 39 points in 73 games). We could potentially have 5 now in Jarnkrok, Domi, Knies, Bertuzzi, and Robertson. The 40 point mark would be a fairly low number to hit for someone like Bertuzzi especially but there's certainly more scoring depth on this team. Leafs just need to figure out how to offset how much that hurts them defensively.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Kaberle15 on November 29, 2023, 12:56:01 PM
Quote from: Guilt Trip on November 29, 2023, 12:02:15 PMI think there's a deadline and if he doesn't sign by it, he's gone.

This is only possible if the Leafs don't have a chance at the playoffs by that time (They are 1 Woll injury away from this type of situation with Liljgreen and Gio out)
Not buying that anymore. Yes this is about now but it's also about the future. They haven't won with Nylander and Im not blaming him but they can't risk him walking for nothing. Seeing Tre has lived this dream with Tkachuk and Gaudreau I don't see him letting it happen again.