Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion

Started by herman, May 31, 2023, 09:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldTimeHockey

I have no issue with Nylander asking for north of 10 million. I also know that the Leafs can't afford to pay him that so moving him should be the next option to be looked at(if the media is correct and they're struggling to come to a number they can agree on).

CarltonTheBear

If Nylander's side is playing hardball and sticking to $10mil you have to at the very least start exploring the trade market on him to see what's out there, even if it's just to maybe put pressure on them to drop their number a bit.

Nik

I don't love Nylander at 10 million but I don't really doubt that if he got to the open market he'd get an offer in that neighbourhood so...all I can do is hope they work something out at a lower rate.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

L K

It's kind of hard to blame Nylander at this point.  I don't like the idea of paying him 10M but he has been making 6.9M and has been lumped in the "Core 4" discussion while the three other players are making 11M.  Right now Nylander is the 5th highest paid player on the team.  Matthews and Marner should both make more money than Nylander but if the team wants Nylander at sub 9 while we potentially see Matthews at 14 I don't blame him for not wanting to deal with that.

It's hard to see Nylander not get 10-11M on the UFA market next year with the cap going up.

herman

I don't think anyone actually sticks to their initial ask (this one is technically not outrageous). Leafs have the 8th year advantage to bring the AAV down vs the open market's 7-year. Sign and trades could work.

Trade avenues would be in the Western teams on the cusp with healthy prospect cupboards and NHL top-6 wingers/top-4 def: SEA, LAK, COL, maybe CGY (but they should blow it up). CBJ might want to parlay Laine with someone who their head coach knows well.

NHL player + prospect about to breakout

I'd still much rather keep Nylander for this year's 6.9M + 8 years of 9.2-9.6M but I'm very biased.
#27 #TeamFasstholes

Significantly Insignificant

Quote from: herman on July 04, 2023, 08:26:56 AMI don't think anyone actually sticks to their initial ask (this one is technically not outrageous). Leafs have the 8th year advantage to bring the AAV down vs the open market's 7-year. Sign and trades could work.

Trade avenues would be in the Western teams on the cusp with healthy prospect cupboards and NHL top-6 wingers/top-4 def: SEA, LAK, COL, maybe CGY (but they should blow it up). CBJ might want to parlay Laine with someone who their head coach knows well.

NHL player + prospect about to breakout

I'd still much rather keep Nylander for this year's 6.9M + 8 years of 9.2-9.6M but I'm very biased.

Nylander in that range would be great.  His new deal is a next year problem anyways, so get him signed and then see where things go from there.
"We can't change what's done, we can only move on." - Arthur Morgan

Rob

Where do you find another Nylander?  I'd rather keep him.  Cap will increase over the next couple years, and Tavares' contract has another two years left.

Bill_Berg

I hope they sign him, even at 10 mill. Season after this one coming up is the tough one, but if the cap is up like they say it's going to be, that helps.

Peter D.

I'm all for "overpaying" the Matthews, Marner and Nylander.  So long as there is term (at least 6 years) to their contracts.

cabber24

To become cap compliant I would trade Broide and buyout Murray. Then I would sign Samonsov and add a rugged defenseman.

Samsonov ($3M) + Overcap ($3.2M) - Brodie ($5M) - Murray ($4) = Rugged Defenseman ($2.8M)
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

bustaheims

Quote from: cabber24 on July 04, 2023, 11:25:35 AMTo become cap compliant I would trade Broide and buyout Murray. Then I would sign Samonsov and add a rugged defenseman.

Samsonov ($3M) + Overcap ($3.2M) - Brodie ($5M) - Murray ($4) = Rugged Defenseman ($2.8M)

Can't buy out Murray unless Samsonov goes for arbitration.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: bustaheims on July 04, 2023, 11:33:35 AMCan't buy out Murray unless Samsonov goes for arbitration.

It'd be pretty shocking if the Leafs didn't elect to take Samsonov to arbitration, even if it's just to keep the buyout option for Murray open in case they can't make a trade. We'll know either tomorrow or the day after if Sammy or the team files.

Rob

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 04, 2023, 11:49:01 AM
Quote from: bustaheims on July 04, 2023, 11:33:35 AMCan't buy out Murray unless Samsonov goes for arbitration.

It'd be pretty shocking if the Leafs didn't elect to take Samsonov to arbitration, even if it's just to keep the buyout option for Murray open in case they can't make a trade. We'll know either tomorrow or the day after if Sammy or the team files.

If Leafs file, they are obligated to sign him, is that how it works?

louisstamos

Quote from: Rob on July 04, 2023, 12:19:09 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 04, 2023, 11:49:01 AM

If Leafs file, they are obligated to sign him, is that how it works?

IIRC, they're not obligated, but it's either sign him at the amount from the arbitrator, or walk way and he becomes a UFA.

Bill_Berg

They need to trade Murray. The buyout doesn't provide enough cap relief, mostly in 24-25.