Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion

Started by herman, May 31, 2023, 09:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 9 Guests are viewing this topic.

Joe

Quote from: Bender on July 01, 2023, 03:48:24 PM
Quote from: Joe on July 01, 2023, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on July 01, 2023, 02:58:21 PMGuessing Treliving was having an early afternoon nap. Literally no other plausible explanation

The plausible explanation is that he's not a very good GM and we're about to witness Burke 2.0

5hrs into free agency. Good lord people.

I'm not high on this guy. That's my opinion. Has nothing to do with the other FA signings.

herman

#27

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington

Quote from: Bender on July 01, 2023, 03:48:24 PM
Quote from: Joe on July 01, 2023, 03:30:57 PM
Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on July 01, 2023, 02:58:21 PMGuessing Treliving was having an early afternoon nap. Literally no other plausible explanation

The plausible explanation is that he's not a very good GM and we're about to witness Burke 2.0

5hrs into free agency. Good lord people.

I definitely don't agree that he is Burke 2.0 FWIW

CarltonTheBear

#183
Roster/cap situation as things stand (lines and pairings are obviously just for presentation purposes):

Jarnkrok-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
_____-Kampf-Lafferty
Reaves-Holmberg-McMann

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
Giordano-Klingberg
Timmins

Murray
Woll

Samsonov at say $3.5mil gives us 2.6mil in cap space still with 3 goalies on the roster. Murray waived and on the Marlies gives us $3.75mil, and Murray traded for full cap relief gives us $7.29mil in space still. Murray bought out instead of traded gives us $6.6mil.

L K

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 01, 2023, 05:07:38 PMRoster/cap situation as things stand:

Jarnkrok-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
_____-Kampf-Lafferty
Reaves-Holmberg-McMann

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
Giordano-Klingberg
Timmins

Murray
Woll

Samsonov at say $3.5mil gives us 2.6mil in cap space still with 3 goalies on the roster. Murray waived and on the Marlies gives us $3.75mil, and Murray traded for full cap relief gives us $7.29mil in space still.


Honestly, I don't think that roster is an improvement on last year.  The depth scoring is non-existent.  We have real problems

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: L K on July 01, 2023, 05:09:41 PMHonestly, I don't think that roster is an improvement on last year.  The depth scoring is non-existent.  We have real problems

I think it's absolutely not an improvement on the playoff roster. It might be on par-ish with how the roster looked at the start of the season though. There's still room to add a player or two though, especially if Murray is moved.

princedpw

Quote from: L K on July 01, 2023, 05:09:41 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 01, 2023, 05:07:38 PMRoster/cap situation as things stand:

Jarnkrok-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
_____-Kampf-Lafferty
Reaves-Holmberg-McMann

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
Giordano-Klingberg
Timmins

Murray
Woll

Samsonov at say $3.5mil gives us 2.6mil in cap space still with 3 goalies on the roster. Murray waived and on the Marlies gives us $3.75mil, and Murray traded for full cap relief gives us $7.29mil in space still.


Honestly, I don't think that roster is an improvement on last year.  The depth scoring is non-existent.  We have real problems

Giordano won't last the year unfortunately . Finally showed his age in the playoffs.

cw

Quote from: L K on July 01, 2023, 05:09:41 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 01, 2023, 05:07:38 PMRoster/cap situation as things stand:

Jarnkrok-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
_____-Kampf-Lafferty
Reaves-Holmberg-McMann

Rielly-Brodie
McCabe-Liljegren
Giordano-Klingberg
Timmins

Murray
Woll

Samsonov at say $3.5mil gives us 2.6mil in cap space still with 3 goalies on the roster. Murray waived and on the Marlies gives us $3.75mil, and Murray traded for full cap relief gives us $7.29mil in space still.


Honestly, I don't think that roster is an improvement on last year.  The depth scoring is non-existent.  We have real problems

Is there a softer D in the NHL?
He may not have enough cap space for Domi or Bertuzzi ...
They're not having a good day.
Treliving is Tredying ...

Bender

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 01, 2023, 05:12:44 PM
Quote from: L K on July 01, 2023, 05:09:41 PMHonestly, I don't think that roster is an improvement on last year.  The depth scoring is non-existent.  We have real problems

I think it's absolutely not an improvement on the playoff roster. It might be on par-ish with how the roster looked at the start of the season though. There's still room to add a player or two though, especially if Murray is moved.

I was gonna say we should absolutely not be comparing our playoff roster with opening day roster. Talk about apples and oranges.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

yuzisee

#189
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 01, 2023, 05:07:38 PMRoster/cap situation as things stand (lines and pairings are obviously just for presentation purposes):

Jarnkrok-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Tavares-Nylander
_____-Kampf-Lafferty
Reaves-Holmberg-McMann

Can Nick Robertson play 3LW? He's gotta be ahead of McMann, right? Even upside alone: He's 5 years younger than McMann and 2 years younger than Holmberg. Surely too early to write him off... I hope. (Plus, N. Rob's got everything we love about Easton Cowen – "Big motor, real competitive kid" and all that)

L K

#190
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 01, 2023, 05:12:44 PM
Quote from: L K on July 01, 2023, 05:09:41 PMHonestly, I don't think that roster is an improvement on last year.  The depth scoring is non-existent.  We have real problems

I think it's absolutely not an improvement on the playoff roster. It might be on par-ish with how the roster looked at the start of the season though. There's still room to add a player or two though, especially if Murray is moved.

I guess but that defense doesn't look good.  If that is his idea of upgrading the blueline he paid 4 million to a guy who bet on himself last year and had a bad season.   Maybe Klungberg rebounds but our defense looks really suspect.   Our forward depth is thinner than last year and I don't think we have the money to add a top 6 guy to balance out those lines.   I think this was a huge fumble.

Maybe if the Leafs had a Matthews or Nylander extension to show off I'd feel better about this but the unknown within the organization really makes me doubtful of their direction.  I'm still annoyed at the whole Dubas Shanahan thing and this off-season is doing nothing to abate that. 

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: yuzisee on July 01, 2023, 05:35:02 PMCan Nick Robertson play 3LW? He's gotta be ahead of McMann, right? Even upside alone: He's 5 years younger than McMann and 2 years younger than Holmberg. Surely too early to write him off... I hope. (Plus, N. Rob's got everything we love about Easton Cowen – "Big motor, real competitive kid" and all that)

My take on Robertson is this:

2020/21: 6 NHL games, 21 AHL games
2021/22: 10 NHL games, 28 AHL games
2022/23: 15 NHL games, 2 AHL games

His injuries, as well as covid, has wiped out a significant portion of the most important years of his development. Short of him looking like an absolute all-star in training camp I think it'd be insane to just throw him into a NHL line-up right off the bat. Dude almost needs a reset of his career, which involves starting out in the AHL again.

L K

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on July 01, 2023, 05:52:51 PM
Quote from: yuzisee on July 01, 2023, 05:35:02 PMCan Nick Robertson play 3LW? He's gotta be ahead of McMann, right? Even upside alone: He's 5 years younger than McMann and 2 years younger than Holmberg. Surely too early to write him off... I hope. (Plus, N. Rob's got everything we love about Easton Cowen – "Big motor, real competitive kid" and all that)

My take on Robertson is this:

2020/21: 6 NHL games, 21 AHL games
2021/22: 10 NHL games, 28 AHL games
2022/23: 15 NHL games, 2 AHL games

His injuries, as well as covid, has wiped out a significant portion of the most important years of his development. Short of him looking like an absolute all-star in training camp I think it'd be insane to just throw him into a NHL line-up right off the bat. Dude almost needs a reset of his career, which involves starting out in the AHL again.

Robertson really hasn't done anything in his NHL games (aside from his world beating game against his brother) that makes me convinced he's ready to be a full time NHLer.  Even if he has a good camp I'd like to see him play in the AHL and show he can stay healthy AND play at a high level

RedLeaf

#193
Update:

Out (so far)
O'Reilly
Bunting
Schenn
Acciari
Holl
Gustafsson
Kerfoot

In (so far)
Reaves
Klingberg

So not a good day for Treliving
"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Highlander

I am travelling without much I.T.  are you saying all those players are defiantly out?
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki