Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

2023-24 Toronto Maple Leafs General Discussion

Started by herman, May 31, 2023, 09:04:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington

Is the "burning first year of ELC" essentially just a negotiating thing? I.e. they won't sign if they don't get it as they want to get to UFA bucks sooner?

Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington

Also what's the deal with Grebyonkin? Is he expected to be someone that can make the team at some point during his contract?

Highlander

Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on April 29, 2024, 01:40:35 PMAlso what's the deal with Grebyonkin? Is he expected to be someone that can make the team at some point during his contract?
I think Grebyonkin has the ability to become a key part of our team.  He has the size and uses it, has great hands and good speed. Goes to the dirty areas.  Lots of upside.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

cw

Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on April 29, 2024, 01:38:41 PMIs the "burning first year of ELC" essentially just a negotiating thing? I.e. they won't sign if they don't get it as they want to get to UFA bucks sooner?

There was some discussion that he would remain in the KHL.
"Burning first year of ELC" was one of the few enticing things they could do. His signing bonus might have helped.

herman

Quote from: Sir Nicholas de Mimsy-Porpington on April 29, 2024, 01:40:35 PMAlso what's the deal with Grebyonkin? Is he expected to be someone that can make the team at some point during his contract?

https://twitter.com/Kyle_Cush/status/1784972199712924038

Burning the ELC year positives for the player: signing bonus, playoffs (lol)?

Positives for the team: much smaller platform for negotiating contract 2
this is on a much different scale, but remember when Nylander got called up to play the end of the tank season, vs Marner getting a full year call up once Matthews landed and the Leafs pivoted to contending? They both hit 60 pts in their first full season, but one had two more years to build on it with a team in an upswing.

I think Grebyonkin gets at least 1 AHL season (next year) and should be on the short track for callups: he's bigger and plays both wings and is waiver exempt. He can do scut work and dangle a bit of playmaking with speed. I sort of see him as a less weird looking (playstyle-wise) Tyler Bertuzzi who isn't afraid to mix it up. Effectiveness at the NHL level will have to be assessed with more information after adjustment to the rink size, NA culture, etc.
#27 #TeamFasstholes

Highlander

I love the quote from Reeves; "Summer is not around the corner for us".  I like his optimism but I would note that "Spring is".
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

herman

#27 #TeamFasstholes