Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Playoffs Round 1: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Boston Bruins

Started by CarltonTheBear, April 18, 2024, 08:10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bustaheims

As long as they put up an effort similar to last night, I'll be pretty content. Not necessarily happy, but content that they didn't just roll over.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

WhatIfGodWasALeaf

The segment here from Steve Valiquette before game 5 is excellent. It covers goaltending and specifically the differences between Samsonov and Woll.

Starts at around 49:30 if you need to skip to it.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: WhatIfGodWasALeaf on May 01, 2024, 01:46:14 PM

The segment here from Steve Valiquette before game 5 is excellent. It covers goaltending and specifically the differences between Samsonov and Woll.

I only saw part of it at the end but I'm going to guess Woll was the better choice all along.
Anyone remember hearing that the Leafs PK was something like 81% with Woll in net and 73% with anyone not named Woll?
Love Sammy the person, not the goalie.

WhatIfGodWasALeaf

Quote from: Guilt Trip on May 01, 2024, 01:51:53 PM

I only saw part of it at the end but I'm going to guess Woll was the better choice all along.
Anyone remember hearing that the Leafs PK was something like 81% with Woll in net and 73% with anyone not named Woll?

I mean that's the conclusion yes. It's not the usual narrative tripe though. He comes with receipts, breakdowns on different types of saves etc made by each goalie.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: WhatIfGodWasALeaf on May 01, 2024, 02:00:16 PM

I mean that's the conclusion yes. It's not the usual narrative tripe though. He comes with receipts, breakdowns on different types of saves etc made by each goalie.
He's the guru of all that stuff.
 I just watched it...question  is did the Leafs have this info?  And if they did, heads should roll for picking Sammy. I've said it many times, they didn't start Woll enough after injury. 3 out of the last 10 was plain stupid. He was the #1 guy before the injury. Oh well hopefully he can keep it going.

cabber24

Quote from: Guilt Trip on May 01, 2024, 02:21:41 PM
Quote from: WhatIfGodWasALeaf on May 01, 2024, 02:00:16 PM

He's the guru of all that stuff.
 I just watched it...question  is did the Leafs have this info?  And if they did, heads should roll for picking Sammy. I've said it many times, they didn't start Woll enough after injury. 3 out of the last 10 was plain stupid. He was the #1 guy before the injury. Oh well hopefully he can keep it going.

Hire the guy!
Upon the wicked He will rain Jerseys; blue and white and burning waffles will be the portion of their cup.

herman

Leafs should probably stay in a hotel for game 6 and treat it like a road game.
#27 #TeamFasstholes

Chris

Quote from: herman on May 01, 2024, 04:55:43 PMLeafs should probably stay in a hotel for game 6 and treat it like a road game.

Yeah it would probably benefit them to change something about their home game preparation. If Matthews is still out (which I expect) maybe that is enough, but if he's back, I fear they'll fall into their old ways.

herman

Thanks for posting this! I'm glad he remarked on the start splits, with Sammy getting the easys and Woll facing the Boston/Tampa etc games. I don't know what the plan was behind that but it was clearly a choice. (Give Sammy confidence? Stress test Woll for playoff prep?)
#27 #TeamFasstholes

herman

Quote from: Chris on May 01, 2024, 09:27:05 PM
Quote from: herman on May 01, 2024, 04:55:43 PMLeafs should probably stay in a hotel for game 6 and treat it like a road game.

Yeah it would probably benefit them to change something about their home game preparation. If Matthews is still out (which I expect) maybe that is enough, but if he's back, I fear they'll fall into their old ways.

MLHS has some good observations about how Keefe runs his bench, and how some of the players get a bit high on their own supply.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2024/05/01/game-5-analysis-maple-leafs-bruins/
Quote2. Home ice malaise. This storyline has become all too familiar for Leafs fans, with Toronto losing six straight home games in the playoffs. Their last win was Game 2 over Tampa Bay last season, a problem that has gone on far too long. While the players own some responsibility for it, it's hard not to look at the scope of Sheldon Keefe's tenure as Leafs head coach and not conclude that last change has become a liability for Keefe, who might be over-thinking and meddling to the point where it is disrupting the team's rhythm.
#27 #TeamFasstholes

WhatIfGodWasALeaf

Quote from: herman on May 01, 2024, 09:49:44 PM

Thanks for posting this! I'm glad he remarked on the start splits, with Sammy getting the easys and Woll facing the Boston/Tampa etc games. I don't know what the plan was behind that but it was clearly a choice. (Give Sammy confidence? Stress test Woll for playoff prep?)

No problem, it was clearly better than the usual analysis you see, especially on goalies.

As for why the start splits, I think likely a mix of both your suggestions.