Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Brad Treliving is new Leafs GM

Started by RedLeaf, May 31, 2023, 06:42:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

herman

#27 #TeamFasstholes

CarltonTheBear

Props to Kyper for calling that one. Not surprising though. Doan likely wants to get out of the circus that is Arizona right now and thinks he can grow as a future GM better here. He has management/executive experience with Team Canada through various tournament teams. He has a prior relationship with Treliving dating back to their overlapping time with the Coyotes.

Obviously first and foremost hopefully he'll be able to bring good ideas/feedback in a management role but the fact that two Leafs, including of course the franchise player, currently see him as an idol turned mentor now turned sorta-boss is a nice bonus.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: herman on June 08, 2023, 02:45:12 PMThere's the first move

I put all my chips on a Schenn re-signing. We're still waiting on an official announcement though!

herman

Knies is buddies with Josh Doan.

Not that there is an apples to apples comparison to be made: Another #19, Doan has more executive experience than Spezza did when he joined, but Spezza had the cachet and the ear of the player group. Treliving had Craig Conroy with Calgary for his fresh-off-the-ice perspective and now Conroy has succeeded him in the GM chair.

I don't think this hurts the team and it's essentially free and his Twitter likes are blissfully barren.
#27 #TeamFasstholes

bustaheims

Quote from: Bender on June 08, 2023, 02:28:20 PMAnd Bob has rightly been talked about as a boat anchor.

That's hugely influenced by his performance, though. He hasn't justified that contract. If he performed at the same level he did in his final few seasons in Columbus - consistently well above-average with 3 straight top 10 Vezina finishes, including a win - you wouldn't hear about it nearly as much. For instance, no one considers Vasilevskiy to be a boat anchor contract, but it's only $500K less a year.

That's less of a problem for the Leafs' big contracts - they've all performed at levels that justify significant salaries. We can quibble over whether or not their overpaid to an extent, but none of them are so far off that they ever should be considered boat anchor contracts.

The cap hits aren't the issue in and of themselves. If you have a guy with a cap hit of 10M, if you're getting $8M+ performance value, you're in decent shape. If you're getting significantly less than that - which is what Florida was getting from Bobrovsky before this playoff run - you're in trouble. The Leafs don't have that. Their issue is the supporting cast and playstyle that isn't translating into playoff success.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

Highlander

Quote from: Deebo on June 08, 2023, 02:42:04 PMhttps://twitter.com/KevinWeekes/status/1666892274507063296
Its an excellent move. I spend a lot of time in AZ and Doan is totally respected there.  Matthews and Knies should be very happy.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Peter D.

Completely fine with the move.  Treliving's Spezza.  No issues with that.

Most impressive is that he was convinced (which may not have taken a lot at this point) for him to leave the Winnipeg/Arizona franchise which he's been with his entire professional career.

Nik

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on June 08, 2023, 02:54:21 PMProps to Kyper for calling that one. Not surprising though. Doan likely wants to get out of the circus that is Arizona right now and thinks he can grow as a future GM better here.

It's a little surprising in as much as Arizona's been a circus before and Doan was the one guy who seemed determined to see that one through to the end. To the point that, as a player he seemed so dedicated to Arizona(or at least living in Arizona) that I sort of started to question what his deal was when it seemed like he was constantly choosing not having to move over ever having a chance of competing in a meaningful way.

And I don't mean to rehash that old, old point but it does maybe indicate that if even Doan is willing to finally head elsewhere that there's not a ton of optimism within the organization there that the team is going to stay in Arizona much longer.
I wish to hell I'd never said "Winning isn't everything it's the only thing". What I believe is, if you go out on a football field, or any endeavour in life, and you leave every fibre of what you have on the field, then you've won.
- Vince Lombardi

RedLeaf

Quote from: bustaheims on June 07, 2023, 05:50:02 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on June 07, 2023, 02:06:35 PMWhat does everyone think Treliving's first move as GM will be?

Changing the goal song.

Which Hall & Oates song should they switch it to? LOL...

I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)

Out Of Touch

Say It Isn't So

One On One

"The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge faster than society gathers wisdom.." --Isaac Asimov.

Frank E

Quote from: Nik on June 08, 2023, 04:35:41 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on June 08, 2023, 02:54:21 PMProps to Kyper for calling that one. Not surprising though. Doan likely wants to get out of the circus that is Arizona right now and thinks he can grow as a future GM better here.

It's a little surprising in as much as Arizona's been a circus before and Doan was the one guy who seemed determined to see that one through to the end. To the point that, as a player he seemed so dedicated to Arizona(or at least living in Arizona) that I sort of started to question what his deal was when it seemed like he was constantly choosing not having to move over ever having a chance of competing in a meaningful way.

And I don't mean to rehash that old, old point but it does maybe indicate that if even Doan is willing to finally head elsewhere that there's not a ton of optimism within the organization there that the team is going to stay in Arizona much longer.

I think it has to be a little embarrassing to play out of a barn that doesn't even compare to most OHL arenas.

At some point in your burgeoning hopeful NHL executive career you'd really have to think you're not even in the game with the Coyotes.

bustaheims

Quote from: RedLeaf on June 08, 2023, 04:42:40 PM
Quote from: bustaheims on June 07, 2023, 05:50:02 PM
Quote from: CarltonTheBear on June 07, 2023, 02:06:35 PMWhat does everyone think Treliving's first move as GM will be?

Changing the goal song.

Which Hall & Oates song should they switch it to? LOL...

I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)

Out Of Touch

Say It Isn't So

One On One

Maneater
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

dekedastardly

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: dekedastardly on June 09, 2023, 08:15:24 AMCan he bring Crouse with him?

Or Schmaltz. Or Keller. There's certainly some interesting pieces there if Arizona's looking to move somebody. Schmaltz' backloaded contract makes him more of an obvious candidate.