Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Armchair President/GM 2023-2024

Started by herman, May 19, 2023, 01:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cw

Quote from: Highlander on February 01, 2024, 05:09:53 PM
Quote from: Bullfrog on February 01, 2024, 04:24:28 PMGiordano's got to retire at some point, no? :)
Ya Gio is sliding into home plate and maybe is not going to beat the throw.

He's a UFA so ..

I'm not as down on him as some.
He's still a smart player and he's still in pretty good shape.
To use a 40 year old as a crease clearer on the PK was not the greatest use of his talents at this point in his career.
He's a .5 ppg dman for his career. He's run many power plays.
I bet if you flipped his PK time for PP time with Morgan Rielly, the PP wouldn't slip much and 225lb Rielly would help the PK.

Joe

Quote from: cw on February 01, 2024, 08:45:44 PM
Quote from: Highlander on February 01, 2024, 05:09:53 PM
Quote from: Bullfrog on February 01, 2024, 04:24:28 PMGiordano's got to retire at some point, no? :)
Ya Gio is sliding into home plate and maybe is not going to beat the throw.

He's a UFA so ..

I'm not as down on him as some.
He's still a smart player and he's still in pretty good shape.
To use a 40 year old as a crease clearer on the PK was not the greatest use of his talents at this point in his career.
He's a .5 ppg dman for his career. He's run many power plays.
I bet if you flipped his PK time for PP time with Morgan Rielly, the PP wouldn't slip much and 225lb Rielly would help the PK.

I remember him saying last season that if the leafs win the cup he'll retire otherwise he'll go 1 more season.

I really don't see him going beyond this season.

Bender

Hard to feel that the Leafs can really do much wheeling and dealing if the Lindholm trade has set the bar.
"They say you can judge a man by the company he keeps. So here is the professor's oldest friend, a grotesque, stinking lobster." - Bender

herman

Andy

Thinking about trade possibilities (and what appears to be a lucrative seller's trade market) only makes me wonder/lament about how this team would look with a different coach and new philosophies. I mean, I am intrigued even simply by balancing the existing group of forwards (to maybe something like this):

McMann  Matthews Nylander
Bertuzzi Domi    Marner
Knies   Tavares  Robertson
Holmberg Kampf Jankrok

All four lines could have a regular shift (that 4th line was essentially our 3rd line for the start of last year) and you could really maximize each player's minutes, instead of the top-heavy, exhausting the stars-type scenario we keep seeing this season. Tavares can take the odd shift with the top line to get his minutes up (and keep McMann's down) and would benefit from seeing less-competitive minutes/opponents as the 3rd line centre. Marner offsets Domi's negative defensive value, just as Matthews offsets Nylander's. Robertson's left handed snipe could be nasty on the off-wing and Knies gets to see less dangerous opponents as well.

As for the defence, while it is quite average, again I'd love to see a balanced approach that somewhat stabilizes each pairing:

Rielly   Benoit
McCabe  Liljegren
Brodie  Timmins

Albeit some of the sample size is limited, Rielly does seem to excel with more defensive, physical d-men (Hainsey, Lybushkin, Schenn) and Brodie could then move to his natural side, providing some stability for Timmins. You could even go with a 11-7 formation and sub Giordano in for McMann (moving Holmberg to that vacant spot) and have the ability to keep everyone fresh, spot Brodie in here and there for Benoit, especially if he struggles on the right side. There is a bit of flexibility.

And as for the trade market, Matt Dumba probably wouldn't cost much and might fit in nicely to the right of Rielly. Benoit-Brodie 3rd pairing with Gio and Timmins as extras isn't anything to sneeze at.

Anyway that's just my little armchair GM spiel, thanks for listening ;)

CarltonTheBear

https://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1755639800923910188

Everyone has officially lost their minds. If this is even remotely accurate Treliving needs to shop Kampf asap.

bustaheims

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on February 08, 2024, 01:17:43 PMhttps://twitter.com/taj1944/status/1755639800923910188

Everyone has officially lost their minds. If this is even remotely accurate Treliving needs to shop Kampf asap.

Yeah. That's just insanity. Prices for rental Cs are astronomical. If he even returns a 2nd rounder, it's an over pay!
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

herman

Is that market analysis or is it floating GMs' wish lists to drum one up?

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: herman on February 08, 2024, 01:54:22 PMIs that market analysis or is it floating GMs' wish lists to drum one up?

Either way it worked for Monahan.

Dappleganger

Anyone want to make a bet that Nic Dowd does not get traded for a 1st round pick as Frank Seravalli prognosticates?

Rob

Quote from: Dappleganger on February 08, 2024, 03:57:04 PMAnyone want to make a bet that Nic Dowd does not get traded for a 1st round pick as Frank Seravalli prognosticates?

***Brad Treliving slowly hangs up the phone***

Dappleganger

Quote from: Rob on February 08, 2024, 04:22:48 PM
Quote from: Dappleganger on February 08, 2024, 03:57:04 PMAnyone want to make a bet that Nic Dowd does not get traded for a 1st round pick as Frank Seravalli prognosticates?

***Brad Treliving slowly hangs up the phone***

😅😬

cw

Quote from: Andy on February 02, 2024, 06:37:35 PMThinking about trade possibilities (and what appears to be a lucrative seller's trade market) only makes me wonder/lament about how this team would look with a different coach and new philosophies. I mean, I am intrigued even simply by balancing the existing group of forwards (to maybe something like this):

McMann  Matthews Nylander
Bertuzzi Domi    Marner
Knies   Tavares  Robertson
Holmberg Kampf Jankrok

All four lines could have a regular shift (that 4th line was essentially our 3rd line for the start of last year) and you could really maximize each player's minutes, instead of the top-heavy, exhausting the stars-type scenario we keep seeing this season. Tavares can take the odd shift with the top line to get his minutes up (and keep McMann's down) and would benefit from seeing less-competitive minutes/opponents as the 3rd line centre. Marner offsets Domi's negative defensive value, just as Matthews offsets Nylander's. Robertson's left handed snipe could be nasty on the off-wing and Knies gets to see less dangerous opponents as well.

As for the defence, while it is quite average, again I'd love to see a balanced approach that somewhat stabilizes each pairing:

Rielly   Benoit
McCabe  Liljegren
Brodie  Timmins

Albeit some of the sample size is limited, Rielly does seem to excel with more defensive, physical d-men (Hainsey, Lybushkin, Schenn) and Brodie could then move to his natural side, providing some stability for Timmins. You could even go with a 11-7 formation and sub Giordano in for McMann (moving Holmberg to that vacant spot) and have the ability to keep everyone fresh, spot Brodie in here and there for Benoit, especially if he struggles on the right side. There is a bit of flexibility.

And as for the trade market, Matt Dumba probably wouldn't cost much and might fit in nicely to the right of Rielly. Benoit-Brodie 3rd pairing with Gio and Timmins as extras isn't anything to sneeze at.

Anyway that's just my little armchair GM spiel, thanks for listening ;)

I like trying McMann on a scoring line. He's miscast where he is.
Whoever has been there on the left side hasn't set the world on fire.

Rielly Benoit might be too much to ask of Benoit but that's something I hadn't thought of. Benoit is so dedicated to defense, it might work.

Giordano & Brodie were a good pair in Calgary. That might be something worth looking at if Brodie goes to the 3rd pairing.

With the D talent seemingly the weakest link, and the 4th line not doing much, 7 D seems worthy if an offensive dman fills in for Rielly on the PP so Rielly can help more at ES or PK.

CarltonTheBear

https://twitter.com/KPapetti/status/1755775787897119184

There's always the chance of him turning back into a pumpkin come playoff time, but as a pending UFA with a $1.5mil cap hit Tatar could be a decent trade target who likely wouldn't command a big return if Seattle falls more out of a playoff spot and sells.

herman