Quick links:  Login  |  Sign up  |  Site Rules  |  Support TMLfans

Armchair President/GM 2023-2024

Started by herman, May 19, 2023, 01:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Highlander

Quote from: Guilt Trip on November 17, 2023, 11:37:01 AM
Quote from: Frank E on November 17, 2023, 11:31:29 AM
Quote from: herman on November 17, 2023, 11:00:22 AMhttps://twitter.com/tavmarnythews/status/1725543536102121502
Nick Abruzzese is a young forward!

As is Steeves.
Yes but Abruzzese played with Flames prospect Coronato at Harvard in 21/22. Personally, I like Steeves more.
Don't think Steeves has every one a AHL player of the week, which Nick just did.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

cw

Sportsnet: Leafs D-man John Klingberg skating but in pain as injury hit 'rock bottom'
QuoteJohn Klingberg finally but painfully returned to the ice Friday after his nagging injury hit "rock bottom" earlier this month with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"It's always been there throughout my career, but I've been able to deal with it and work through it. But it kind of hit a rock bottom here these last few weeks," Klingberg said, peeling off his gear inside Stockholm's Avicii Arena after Friday's morning skate.

Klingberg underwent double hip surgery in April 2014 and has dealt with hamstring and mobility issues since.
...
"A little bit better, but not good enough.

"Didn't feel very good out there. Very stiff, a little bit pain. Not a lot of motion. So, we've got some stuff to work on here and see if I can be available for Sunday."

He won't be going anywhere else soon that needs him to play unless it is a game on Robidas island.

Highlander

Quote from: cw on November 17, 2023, 12:51:58 PMSportsnet: Leafs D-man John Klingberg skating but in pain as injury hit 'rock bottom'
QuoteJohn Klingberg finally but painfully returned to the ice Friday after his nagging injury hit "rock bottom" earlier this month with the Toronto Maple Leafs.

"It's always been there throughout my career, but I've been able to deal with it and work through it. But it kind of hit a rock bottom here these last few weeks," Klingberg said, peeling off his gear inside Stockholm's Avicii Arena after Friday's morning skate.

Klingberg underwent double hip surgery in April 2014 and has dealt with hamstring and mobility issues since.
...
"A little bit better, but not good enough.

"Didn't feel very good out there. Very stiff, a little bit pain. Not a lot of motion. So, we've got some stuff to work on here and see if I can be available for Sunday."

He won't be going anywhere else soon that needs him to play unless it is a game on Robidas island.
My son tore his labrum in his hip and waited 3 years for surgery, which was performed by one of the top guys in Canada, that has done a lot of the top hockey guys.  He showed us the surgery from scope and it appeared as clean as billiard ball, yet my son still suffers 6 years later. 
Hips are real dandy injures and if Klinger had a double op in 2018 then my siren would have been going off on long term ability to perform.   He is a perfect candidate for Robidas Island and wouldn't that solve a lot of our problems. Crazy to sign him in the first place with his recent performance issues which we can now say is most likely down to injury factors.
"In the beginners mind there are many possibilities, but in the expert's there are few"
                                           Sunryn Suzuki

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Highlander on November 17, 2023, 12:24:21 PM
Quote from: Guilt Trip on November 17, 2023, 11:37:01 AM
Quote from: Frank E on November 17, 2023, 11:31:29 AM
Quote from: herman on November 17, 2023, 11:00:22 AMhttps://twitter.com/tavmarnythews/status/1725543536102121502
Nick Abruzzese is a young forward!

As is Steeves.
Yes but Abruzzese played with Flames prospect Coronato at Harvard in 21/22. Personally, I like Steeves more.
Don't think Steeves has every one a AHL player of the week, which Nick just did.
He hasn't but I still like him more..

bustaheims

Quote from: Zee on November 17, 2023, 12:18:31 PM
Quote from: herman on November 17, 2023, 11:00:22 AMhttps://twitter.com/tavmarnythews/status/1725543536102121502
Nick Abruzzese is a young forward!

Depends on your frame of reference, to me, Ryan Reaves is young.

I mean, sure, but I think the frame of reference is pretty much predefined here.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

cw

Quote from: Highlander on November 17, 2023, 01:01:27 PMMy son tore his labrum in his hip and waited 3 years for surgery, which was performed by one of the top guys in Canada, that has done a lot of the top hockey guys.  He showed us the surgery from scope and it appeared as clean as billiard ball, yet my son still suffers 6 years later. 
Hips are real dandy injures and if Klinger had a double op in 2018 then my siren would have been going off on long term ability to perform.   He is a perfect candidate for Robidas Island and wouldn't that solve a lot of our problems. Crazy to sign him in the first place with his recent performance issues which we can now say is most likely down to injury factors.

His surgery was 2014. He had some good years after that.
In 2018-19, he started to miss time with "lower body injury"
He became an annual team worst +/- or close to it after that.
That should have concerned them.

Hips are iffy things for regular people much less hockey players.
I never understood the signing.
I had a similar reaction re Robidas island.

Guilt Trip


herman

Let's play two games:
Game one: make a holiday shopping list for Treliving with Klingberg's LTIR cap space (+ whatever adjustments). Try to provide a reasonable avenue for the acquisition!

Game two: let's see your best headline for the blog post about game one above. Your definition of best may vary, but you want clicks and engagement!
#27 #TeamFasstholes

Bullfrog

If we're looking for offence, Justin Schultz could be an option. Good Klingberg replacement; can help with moving the puck and manning the point on the power play.

Not going to help team defense all that much though.

Frank E

Quote from: Bullfrog on November 29, 2023, 05:37:53 PMIf we're looking for offence, Justin Schultz could be an option. Good Klingberg replacement; can help with moving the puck and manning the point on the power play.

Not going to help team defense all that much though.

I'm disappointed with your suggestion.  Back to the drawing board for you.

Guilt Trip

Quote from: Frank E on November 29, 2023, 07:31:22 PM
Quote from: Bullfrog on November 29, 2023, 05:37:53 PMIf we're looking for offence, Justin Schultz could be an option. Good Klingberg replacement; can help with moving the puck and manning the point on the power play.

Not going to help team defense all that much though.

I'm disappointed with your suggestion.  Back to the drawing board for you.
Yeah the Leafs need a defence first D man.

Bullfrog

Quote from: Frank E on November 29, 2023, 07:31:22 PM
Quote from: Bullfrog on November 29, 2023, 05:37:53 PMIf we're looking for offence, Justin Schultz could be an option. Good Klingberg replacement; can help with moving the puck and manning the point on the power play.

Not going to help team defense all that much though.

I'm disappointed with your suggestion.  Back to the drawing board for you.

I mean, I did qualify it.


David Savard.
Connor Murphy.
Van Riemsdyk.

CarltonTheBear

The following defencemen were all on Chris Johnston's trade board released earlier today:

Hanifin
Tanev
Zadorov
Walker
Lyubushkin
DeAngelo
Boqvist
Peeke
Dumba
Seeler

The Calgary trio has probably been talked about enough. Hanifin would be a great add but almost certainly too expensive both in terms of assets to acquire and to re-sign (my uneducated opinion is that he's going to a U.S. team in the summer regardless). Tanev is probably the perfect fit as a legit top-4 RHD, but his age makes him the biggest question mark as a potential re-signing. Zadorov has a lot to like despite not being a totally proven top-4 guy, although he seems like a guy everyone wants so that might make a trade tough.

Walker, DeAngelo, and Boqvist are all likely non-options for various reasons, the biggest being none of them are particularly good defensively.

Lyubushkin, Peeke, and Seeler are all fairly similar defencemen as bottom-pair physical/shot blocking guys. Lyubushkin and Peeke are RHD that could play higher in the line-up with Rielly as defencemen like them (including of course Lyubushkin already) have done in the past. Seeler's a lefty so he'd be more locked into a bottom pair role.

Dumba's an interesting one. We know Treliving wanted him early in the offseason but Dumba's asking price was too high at the time so he went with Klingberg instead. Arizona is very much in a battle for a wild card spot right now so I don't see them moving him right now. Dumba also hasn't exactly been great this season so not sure if he'd be the answer to any of our problems.

Ideally, one of Tanev or Zadorov can get acquired for a not insane price. I think Peeke or Lyubushkin would be ok bargain bin options if the CGY guys just aren't attainable and if they come with a bargain bin price.

cw

Quote from: CarltonTheBear on November 29, 2023, 10:43:32 PMIdeally, one of Tanev or Zadorov can get acquired for a not insane price. I think Peeke or Lyubushkin would be ok bargain bin options if the CGY guys just aren't attainable and if they come with a bargain bin price.

Something like that makes sense to me.
I think it helps address their biggest need.
I'd like to know a firmer prognosis for Giordano before I'd commit.

As for a right handed offensive dman for the PP, I wouldn't mind trying Timmins there.

CarltonTheBear

Quote from: cw on November 29, 2023, 11:14:08 PMAs for a right handed offensive dman for the PP, I wouldn't mind trying Timmins there.

The team needs another offensive defencemen with Klingberg not working out but yeah I think Timmins deserves a legitimate shot at playing in that role. If he's not working out by the trade deadline maybe that's when you bring someone else in to push him down the depth chart.